Aldon Smith makes Greg Hardy look like a choir boy

MikeB80

Reaction score
Let’s also be fair. I don’t think Hardy has ever apologized for any of his behavior.

I would be curious to hear from Aldon and where he is mentally now. If he is contrite and apologetic for his past behavior. That is an important factor. Because that would be a big difference from Hardy too.

Pac Man apologized and promised he was a new man after getting someone killed in a strip club. Guys were coming out of the woodwork to praise him. Then he came here, the season started He got in trouble, needed personal security, got suspended, was part of a terrible locker room in 08 because of this type of thing.

Then he was cut. When he got to Cincy he said that you can't change in Dallas, its all glitz and glamour and the organization doesn't help you...they like you to be a star and do things for attention.

Nothing has changed.

freemanjc19

Reaction score
First of all, I’m all for everyone in society getting second chances. People suffering from drug and alcohol addictions who make serious attempts to get sober deserve our support. But people with domestic violence problems are different, especially when it comes to putting them on a national stage like the NFL. Domestic Violence perpetrators need help, but they don’t need a roster spot.

Yahoo Sports ran an article last night on Aldon Smith’s incredibly long rap sheet. Below is an excerpt from that article:

Aldon Smith’s mountain of legal issues

Here’s a rundown of the long list of off-field issues Smith has encountered since entering the NFL:
This list makes Greg Hardy look like a choir boy.
As I said in the beginning of this post- second chances are good. But for domestic violence? I want the Cowboys to win as bad as anyone. But not without at least some level of respectability.

Here’s the link to the article I quoted:
https://sports.yahoo.com/aldon-smith-cowboys-sign-domestic-violence-arrests-nfl-012158571.html

Well if you going to go do it, do it big. I'll give him credit for consistency. Now he's what I call a "REAL WAR DADDY". I'm very excited to see the outcome of this signing.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Let’s also be fair. I don’t think Hardy has ever apologized for any of his behavior.

I would be curious to hear from Aldon and where he is mentally now. If he is contrite and apologetic for his past behavior. That is an important factor. Because that would be a big difference from Hardy too.
This is a good point, sobering up is pretty significant, in that regard. But apologies don't particularly matter all that much, I don't think. Every player says they're sorry lol

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
First of all, I’m all for everyone in society getting second chances. People suffering from drug and alcohol addictions who make serious attempts to get sober deserve our support. But people with domestic violence problems are different, especially when it comes to putting them on a national stage like the NFL. Domestic Violence perpetrators need help, but they don’t need a roster spot.

Yahoo Sports ran an article last night on Aldon Smith’s incredibly long rap sheet. Below is an excerpt from that article:

Aldon Smith’s mountain of legal issues

Here’s a rundown of the long list of off-field issues Smith has encountered since entering the NFL:
This list makes Greg Hardy look like a choir boy.
As I said in the beginning of this post- second chances are good. But for domestic violence? I want the Cowboys to win as bad as anyone. But not without at least some level of respectability.

Here’s the link to the article I quoted:
https://sports.yahoo.com/aldon-smith-cowboys-sign-domestic-violence-arrests-nfl-012158571.html
Clean and sober now, incredible how much he’s turned his life around.

montgod

Reaction score
What's he done in the last 24 hours? That's all that matters, let him play. I heard next were paying for aaron hernandez to get out of jail so he can start at TE.

Umm... do ya'll want to tell him? I mean... go do a netflix search on Aaron to see where he is now... ijs.

AmericasTeam81

Reaction score
My response to your question about second chances: DomesticViolence perpetrators need help, but they don’t need an NFL roster spot. Some past crimes eliminate someone’s future options. For example- a teacher convicted of a serious crime never gets another chance to work with kids again. They can get other jobs of course, but not in education.

I just have a problem with domestic violence being overlooked. You should lose your NFL roster spot if you are a DV abuser. IMO.
What line of employment is he eligible for in your eyes then?

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
What's he done in the last 24 hours? That's all that matters, let him play. I heard next were paying for aaron hernandez to get out of jail so he can start at TE.
You would need to have some serious Zombie voodoo to resurrect Hernandez, he is long gone from jail.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Pac Man apologized and promised he was a new man after getting someone killed in a strip club. Guys were coming out of the woodwork to praise him. Then he came here, the season started He got in trouble, needed personal security, got suspended, was part of a terrible locker room in 08 because of this type of thing.

Then he was cut. When he got to Cincy he said that you can't change in Dallas, its all glitz and glamour and the organization doesn't help you...they like you to be a star and do things for attention.

Nothing has changed.

I mean if you don’t like to give people the opportunity to turn their life around. That’s fine. It’s your choice.

I feel differently about it in general.

MikeB80

Reaction score
I mean if you don’t like to give people the opportunity to turn their life around. That’s fine. It’s your choice.

I feel differently about it in general.

I have no problem and believe they deserve it. Aldon Smith was given that chance already and burned it. This lousy franchise putting another one of these guys on the team with DV issues is just ridiculous.

I am all for guys like Gregory who has a serious issue and has never harmed a person in any way. He deserves to play in the nfl. The Aldon Smith's do not. Nor did hardy and just like Hardy nobody was going to sign him except Jerry and Stephen because they are cheap and desperate.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
When this guy got arrested repeatedly in SF and OAK the fans here all pointed to him and said see that guy is a monster we don't have bad guys and at least gregory is not as bad as him. Which he in no way is comparable.

now I guess its a little different.
It seems like the go to response when a football player not playing for the Cowboys gets into trouble is "well, if it were Zeke he would be suspended. Why hasn't Goodell suspended him already?"

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Everyone may not agree with me but when someone does something while under the influence of drugs or alcohol I tend to look at it differently than if they did these things while completely sober.

I've done the walk of shame a few times in my life that if sober I would not have done.

Point being the addiction can cause behaviors that the person would not repeat without the mental impairment created by the substances.

I've seen the nicest most caring people turn into monsters while intoxicated.
I'm one of the ones that don't agree with you. I was told a drunk mind speaks sober thoughts. So you knew you were about to be impaired by those drugs but you took them anyway. Every thing you done after your impairment is still on you because you were sober when you made the decision to impair yourself.

Like I always say, If he was really drunk he would not be able to get an erection. So that I was drunk excuse doesn't work with me. You got drunk and acted on your sober thoughts.

HungryLion

Reaction score
I have no problem and believe they deserve it. Aldon Smith was given that chance already and burned it. This lousy franchise putting another one of these guys on the team with DV issues is just ridiculous.

I am all for guys like Gregory who has a serious issue and has never harmed a person in any way. He deserves to play in the nfl. The Aldon Smith's do not. Nor did hardy and just like Hardy nobody was going to sign him except Jerry and Stephen because they are cheap and desperate.

I’m not going to fault you for feeling that way. You’re right in that Gregory has never harmed anyone else. He has never committed a crime as far as we know other than marijuana possession. So I never understood why others gave him a hard time.

I’m not as upset about the Aldon signing. But I don’t fault you for feeling the way you do about it.