1. I am excited to announce the launch of ...
    NEWS and RUMORS is a powerful and versatile news and content search engine and reader that provides access to content from a large variety of sites.

NEWS and RUMORS does not track individual users and uses a password-less login system so only an email address is required to login.

Once logged in, you can add your favorite content feeds and searches to your Favorites list, bookmark content you want to read later, and find a lot of global, national and local content on a variety of topics.

Dismiss Notice

Aldon Smith makes Greg Hardy look like a choir boy

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Bobhaze, Apr 2, 2020.

1. Golfzilla77

Golfzilla77 Member

48 Messages
    36 Likes Received
    Well, the league is likely littered with felons that just haven't been caught yet anyway :) Might as well get a few good football players since everyone else has problem children of their own anyway

2. Sarge

Sarge Red, White and Brew... Moderator

30,342 Messages
    25,239 Likes Received
    Welcome aboard!

Typhus likes this.
  3. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

63,115 Messages
    70,508 Likes Received
    I won't ever blame anyone for being skeptical. Good reason to be. But not so much as to where someone should be cast out and never allowed to return or recover.

4. rocyaice

rocyaice Well-Known Member

33,261 Messages
    26,683 Likes Received
    The more I read....the more I'm wondering why they went this route? I like the move but man......I Was sort of hoping we got these type of guys out of our locker room but who am I to say he hasn't changed? Hope he has for his sake. If he had a alcohol problem a year and some change ago.....he's still battling that demon. Hopefully he's battling better than he did then.

Doomsday and Bobhaze like this.
  5. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

96,801 Messages
    23,157 Likes Received
    at this point all I can hope for is he stays out of trouble and contributes to the defensive. If it were my call to make I would not have signed him but it is what it is and so as a fan of this team all I can do is hope he can contribute to making this defense championship caliber

maryquality likes this.
  6. superonyx

superonyx Well-Known Member

10,292 Messages
    13,616 Likes Received
    Interesting take.
    I will counter that we should not allow the victims to be involved in determining the punishments. Victims are emotional over logical and want vengeance even if its at the cost of the greater good.
    The need for accountability should not be seen as something that flies in the face of punishment. You are correct that to have a balanced lawful civilization we needs to have rules and punishments/rehabilitation. The problem we have in our country is punishment is almost the only thing we have. Why? Money. We can lock someone up for 20 years for armed robbery and for 20 years a for profit prison company will receive tax payers dollars to "hold" a human in a cage. Then this person gets out and due to their background cannot find work, has never been rehabilitated and ends up back in prison. If we were a compassionate society we would look at the conditions that existed in the persons life that caused them to rob the convenience store in the first place. We would provide a healthy balances form of punishment that focused on rehabilitation so this person has been given the best chance at a happy productive life.

Of course you will find the exception. The true bad person that can't be helped. But managing to the exception has never been successful.

As for Smith. He is an alcoholic. He has made mistakes. I hope he has received the help he needs to allow the next chapter of his life to be more successful than the last one.

DandyDon52 and stasheroo like this.
  7. kskboys

kskboys Well-Known Member

20,003 Messages
    22,185 Likes Received
    Because premier pass rushers cost a fortune, so if he works out, we get one on the cheap.

8. The Quest for Six

The Quest for Six Well-Known Member

14,648 Messages
    10,241 Likes Received
    slim chance of that happening for a guy who will be 31 and was out of football for five years...if he's actaualy reinstated by the league or arrested again!

Toomany10pins likes this.
  9. RodeoJake

RodeoJake Well-Known Member

2,548 Messages
    4,196 Likes Received
    Thanks for the research. I feel the same about domestic violence, but his last DV incident was 2 years ago. I'm more concerned about the fact it hasn't even been a year since his last DUI.

He's not guaranteed anything. If he has turned it around, give him the chance. His story could be an inspiration for others with addiction issues.

stasheroo likes this.
  10. The Quest for Six

The Quest for Six Well-Known Member

14,648 Messages
    10,241 Likes Received
    And if I had a dollar for every time Randy Gregory apologized....

Doomsday101 likes this.
  11. Reid1boys

Reid1boys Well-Known Member

3,115 Messages
    2,732 Likes Received
    i didnt say he was going to get all those sacks, I just said Cowboys fans wont care one bit about his rap sheet if he were to kick butt on the field.

12. kskboys

20,003 Messages
    22,185 Likes Received
    Problem is, in any society you must have a deterrent to crime. Rehab isn't deterring. So far, the only deterrent that has worked in human history is strict, immediate punishment.

And the bigger problem we are facing at present is a generation coming up that appears to be completely lacking in empathy, which will make the current problem worse.

Aviano90 likes this.
  13. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

96,801 Messages
    23,157 Likes Received
    True actions speak louder than words. Now that this is pretty much a done deal all I can do is hope Aldon does the right things and helps this defense. Same with Gregory, while I would have released him a while back had it been my call to make, as a fan all I can do is hope he can come in and help this team.

stasheroo likes this.
  14. Skillit

Skillit Well-Known Member

302 Messages
    257 Likes Received
    Totally agree that victims shouldn’t have a voice in punishment. They have a role in the process—but yes, they get no say there.

You bring up the core issue: who is salvageable? How do you know? I get it that we spend too much on incarceration....but there is also costs to failed rehab.

I don’t claim to have any answers there. If we knew “who was worth it”, well, I’d be pretty special. Lol

15. rocyaice

rocyaice Well-Known Member

33,261 Messages
    26,683 Likes Received
    Yeah but when is the price too much? We've been down this path with Hardy, McClain, Tank Johnson, Pac-Man...it rarely results in being worth it.

16. kskboys

20,003 Messages
    22,185 Likes Received
    4 mill is cheap if he works out.

I wouldn't have signed him.

17. kskboys

20,003 Messages
    22,185 Likes Received
    You cannot save everyone. We're trying to do that at present, and failing miserably.

We've forgotten the entire idea of punishment for crimes: Deterrent.

18. gambit187

gambit187 Well-Known Member

1,241 Messages
    659 Likes Received
    Has Hardy been in trouble since then, also that chick was a known coke head. Also I thought Hardy weapons was legal, I read he grew up in that environment because his parents or one of his parents was a bounty hunter/detective. I already that he was an avid hunter and described as a "redneck". None of that make him a bad person and his ONE run in with the law doesn't either. No one can convince me other wise unless you can dig up some more......

Kaiser likes this.
  19. montgod

montgod Well-Known Member

2,116 Messages
    162 Likes Received
    i.e. Tyreek and KC fans

20. OmerV

OmerV Well-Known Member

18,850 Messages
    15,523 Likes Received
    I doubt the Cowboys believe this gets them an ideal solution at the positon, but they have to be realistic that they aren't going to have an ideal situation at every position. This move at least gives them a shot, albeit a long one, of getting high production from the position. Frankly I didn't expect them to do much more at RDE given all the commitments they've made at the other D-Line spots. And, the thing is, if the right person dropped to them in the draft, this contract wouldn't prohibit making that pick.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2020
    stasheroo likes this.