News: Aldon Smith Reinstated

CCBoy

Reaction score
How about I make a provision for "in the last 70 years" then :rolleyes:
For sure...a completely rechanged man has emerged with authorization of those under 30. That's it, they just quit because they can't succeed.

For sure, I have been wondering why all the seniors in my area of town have just started to disappear...:rolleyes:

CCBoy

Reaction score
They need to be careful and ease him into action. I know he has been working out a lot but football movements are much different than simulated football movements.

Many players need to be eased back into action just from the few months off between seasons. With 4 years away...

In service re-entry gave no adjustment beyond 'MOS' training...and then ready to go back to war.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
For sure...a completely rechanged man has emerged with authorization of those under 30. That's it, they just quit because they can't succeed.

For sure, I have been wondering why all the seniors in my area of town have just started to disappear...:rolleyes:

I don't understand what you're saying here at all.

Anyway, I'll just restate my point here. Every single time we sign a head case, Cowboys fans talk themselves up about how this player is going to change their ways, and I've just seen this song and dance too many times to believe it any more. Rolando McClain will be a changed man inside the Cowboys' structure, Greg Hardy is innocent and his woman is a lying money grubber, Randy Gregory will get the resources he needs from Jerry... I'm sorry, but problems of this magnitude virtually never go away.

Aldon Smith is a violent, low-functioning alcoholic; that's just a fact like the sky is blue. Just scrolling through his Wikipedia page, he's been hit with at least 16 separate charges in the last eight years, including five DUIs. His last DUI was just under a year ago - and y'all are claiming "he's turned his life around"? I get it, as fans that's what we want to think, but I see absolutely no signs to prove it.

The best case scenario here is that we get a couple of rotational snaps out of him at DE before he cops another alcohol charge in winter 2020 or 2021 - just like he has for every year in the past eight.

Last edited:

CCBoy

Reaction score
I don't understand what you're saying here at all.

Anyway, I'll just restate my point here. Every single time we sign a head case, Cowboys fans talk themselves up about how this player is going to change their ways, and I've just seen this song and dance too many times to believe it any more. Rolando McClain will be a changed man inside the Cowboys' structure, Greg Hardy is innocent and his woman is a lying money grubber, Randy Gregory will get the resources he needs from Jerry... I'm sorry, but problems of this magnitude virtually never go away.

Aldon Smith is a violent, low-functioning alcoholic; that's just a fact like the sky is blue. Just scrolling through his Wikipedia page, he's been hit with at least 16 separate charges in the last eight years, including five DUIs. His last DUI was just under a year ago - and y'all are claiming "he's turned his life around"? I get it, as fans that's what we want to think, but I see absolutely no signs to prove it.

What one gets with stereotyping all around your motive and emotions is nothing more than standing in a mirror and blaming everyone else.

Don't even imply YOU and attempting to strap me with YOUR excuse selections...I worked Drug and Alcohol Counselor as a secondary duty function, for 12 years, and a tank commander. The military got around to zero tolerance and removed a lot of dysfunctional dependency, especially involving alcohol. I also was a House Parent in Corpus Christi MHMR when it first came into existence, while attending college.

There are successes in every walk of life...including the NFL. To be correct...

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
What one gets with stereotyping all around your motive and emotions is nothing more than standing in a mirror and blaming everyone else.

Don't even imply YOU and attempting to strap me with YOUR excuse selections...I worked Drug and Alcohol Counselor as a secondary duty function, for 12 years, and a tank commander. The military got around to zero tolerance and removed a lot of dysfunctional dependency, especially involving alcohol. I also was a House Parent in Corpus Christi MHMR when it first came into existence, while attending college.

There are successes in every walk of life...including the NFL. To be correct...

Not following you here either. My best interpretation is that I'm blaming Aldon Smith for having 5 DUIs when I should be looking in a mirror and blaming myself for having 0? Are you sure you're sober right now?

CCBoy

Reaction score
Not following you here either. I'm blaming Aldon Smith for having 5 DUIs when I should be looking in a mirror and blaming myself for having 0? Are you sure you're sober?
Pull YOUR head out and figure something out or just don't respond unintelligently to ME...

YOU only need be concerned about power to speed ratio currently for Smith...it's obvious you know nothing about recovery beyond throwing around blame to someone else. Seek some adult leadership.:rolleyes:

Dallas has a long and pretty good history of dealing with problems in and with players.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Pull YOUR head out and figure something out or just don't respond unintelligently to ME...

YOU only need be concerned about power to speed ratio currently for Smith...it's obvious you know nothing about recovery beyond throwing around blame to someone else. Seek some adult leadership.:rolleyes:

Dallas has a long and pretty good history of dealing with problems in and with players.

If we're just talking raw athleticism, Smith is at an age where athletes regularly decline regardless of wear and tear and he hasn't been in an NFL conditioning program in five years. His athleticism isn't nearly what we once saw.

CCBoy

Reaction score
If we're just talking raw athleticism, Smith is at an age where athletes regularly decline regardless of wear and tear and he hasn't been in an NFL conditioning program in five years. His athleticism isn't nearly what we once saw.
You have no clue and are reverting to making stuff up...how long did Reggie White/Ed Too Tall/Harvey Martin, etc....play?

What? They were 'good?'

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
You have no clue and are reverting to making stuff up...how long did Reggie White/Ed Too Tall/Harvey Martin, etc....play?

What? They were 'good?'

Let's look at 1,000 players instead of 3.

Sack_production_by_age_for_NFL_front_seven_defenders__since_1982_when_sacks_became_an_official_stat_.png

There starts to be a terminal decline in sacks among defenders starting by about age 28 - and that's among guys who have kept themselves in NFL shape the whole time.

CCBoy

Reaction score
The top
Let's look at 1,000 players instead of 3.

Sack_production_by_age_for_NFL_front_seven_defenders__since_1982_when_sacks_became_an_official_stat_.png

There starts to be a terminal decline in sacks among defenders starting by about age 28 - and that's among guys who have kept themselves in NFL shape the whole time.

The top 1/3rd is still going quite strong at age 30...and your point would be? No DeMarcus Ware as well...

Maybe you can instead offer both Smith and Gregory...Cannabis Gummies. Any tests for that yet?

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
The top

The top 1/3rd is still going quite strong at age 30...and your point would be? No DeMarcus Ware as well...

Maybe you can instead offer both Smith and Gregory...Cannabis Gummies. Any tests for that yet?

I'm actually way more optimistic about Gregory than I am about Smith. Think with the league chilling out on their weed enforcement, that he can stay on the field and start moving up his learning curve.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I'm actually way more optimistic about Gregory than I am about Smith. Think with the league chilling out on their weed enforcement, that he can stay on the field and start moving up his learning curve.
Valid.

I'm not about to give up on either in the present...:starspin:

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'll put it like this - I cannot think of a 1 year "character issues" gamble FA we've signed whose issues have not cropped back up. And to my knowledge, coming back to pro football after 5 years off is unprecedented in the sport.

Very low chance this gamble hits, very high chance it backfires. I'm not enthusiastic about this signing at all.

It was two years, rather than 5, but Vick is the best most-recent example. At a much tougher position to play and one subject to a lot more change after time off.

I really don’t think the four year break would normally be a big deal for a guy whose played football for the fifteen years prior and at the very highest level. The time off angle is blown way out of proportion.

Though I do think the abbreviated camp and preseason this year in particular really hurts. If he had a whole drive camp, I’d be doing backflips over this pickup. This dude can play. As it is, I worry about conditioning and soft tissue injuries delaying the impact he might have at least the first half of the season.