Twitter: All QBs are making at least $40M

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Maybe but as stated earlier in a tweet by one GM, Jackson opens a whole new landscape. Franchise QBs are starting to realized the impact of how much control they have over teams' success. Actually, its always been there they never used it UNTIL what we've seen with Rodger and Watson. Watson particular......the Panthers are probably kicking themselves coz all they had to do was guarantee the last two years of his $156M deal and he would be a Panther. Although they had no problem with the first two years, they decline and he took them off his list. Browns stepped up and said no only will we guarantee ALL FOUR YEARS but well bump it from $39M to 46M. This could be the tip of the iceberg. Would not surprise me to see more fully guaranteed deals but only at the QB position.
QBs are getting way too much power and control.
Its getting out of hand.
It needs to be addressed by the League.

NotForLong

Reaction score
I don’t think it’ll change anything.

4 year ago Kirk Cousins received a contract to be the highest paid player in NFL history, and it was fully guaranteed at signing. That didn’t change anything for the other QBs in the league.

Watson is in the same situation. They were both free agents of sorts (not technically in Watson’s sense, but he was able to choose suitors in a similar fashion very unlike a trade scenario), and teams were outbidding each other for their services.

Those two QBs had all the power. That’s not the scenario occurring when Mahomes was extended, when Dak was extended, even when Aaron was extended. Franchise QBs don’t just become a available to the highest bidder like this, so like Kirk, I don’t see it changing much as far as contract demands.

Wilson is a great example of this. He probably could have made demands aligning with the Watson deal, and Denver would have had to pay it. But since he didn’t, 1-2 years from now he’ll sign a new contract that likely isn’t fully guaranteed, isn’t trendsetting, and will fall in line where the market is at that stage for extensions.
I use to worry about How much Dak was gonna get paid . . . and how it would affect the team

But seeing How much Money was freed up and not spent . . . . It makes no difference to me .

Hell pay Him another 10 million a year . . . Rather see Him get it then watch the Jones boys sit on it

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Yet the GOAT Brady is scheduled to earn a base salary of only $8.925 million in 2022 w/a signing bonus of $15 million, a roster bonus of $1,470,588, & an incentive bonus of $1.875 million, while carrying a cap hit of $20,270,588 & a dead cap value of $32 million. o_O

NotForLong

Reaction score
Its getting out of hand.
I say stop protecting them go back to 90's NFL rules and watch them all fall back in line

They created a Fast Break league to showcase the passing game and now you have to pay all these little monsters you created.

I say screw it . . . change the rules back and make the whole team relevent again

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Its getting out of hand.

That power and control have always been there but they've only used it financially. Notice Rodgers forced the Packers last season to sign certain players. The point they are starting to realize they can also use it to control other parts of the team. Example, if a coach and his franchise QB are getting alone, who do you think is leaving, lol.

ondaedg

Reaction score
he has shown he is average especially under pressure. He’s never going to play like a top 5 QB when the pressure is on against the best teams. That’s when the elite QBs show who they are. He’s a stat padder like Cousins. Only his homies think he will play like an elite QB

Appreciate you repeating yourself 173 times on these forums to make sure we're all on the same page about Dak. I figure that another 213 of these posts from you should do the trick. Better yet you should start a thread about Dak to keep us well informed.

:muttley:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The rankles caused by Prescott's contract were ridiculous because the agents are driving the rates and their commissions.

Look at the WR contracts. Adams is now at 28M after Hopkins hit 27M. Cooper got his deal based on the position, not his production.

Just wait for Burrows and Herbert, they'll top Rodgers.

If Prescott delivers, we'll be hoping they can keep it in the mid 40's but it will be relative to the cap anyway.

I believe these agents have a position spread sheet based on the cap with the positions ranked and contracts attached.

The reality is every team has to have that guy, the franchise QB, and his pay is not based on his production as much as what the position demands. What do we think Brady would get if he was a money hound? 60?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Its getting out of hand.
Have you seen them address anything along those lines? They already walk the fine line of collusion with the NFLPA watching them like hawks.

Management is in a no win situation with the players because the teams are now the tail. Think GB wanted to pay Rodgers 50M and let Adams go? Hell, they spent a 1st on a QB to take his place just as they did Rodgers but they had to keep Rodgers or they're the bad guys to the public.

Watson made CLE meet his demands and that is just the beginning of more guaranteed money which has just done wonders for MLB.

Aven8

Reaction score
Imagine had we been able to sign Dak early at 33 million…..he would be holding out now! Lol

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
he has shown he is average especially under pressure. He’s never going to play like a top 5 QB when the pressure is on against the best teams. That’s when the elite QBs show who they are. He’s a stat padder like Cousins. Only his homies think he will play like an elite QB
This elite QB you speak of, I want one. Where can we get one?

I am not a Dakster but I do realize this team could do worse and has many times. Just recently when they picked this QB, they tried to get 2 that are not even in the league any longer. It's not like teams are offering straight up trades for their elite QB's.

It was not that I wanted them to pay him 40M but I realized what they had to do. Just like these other teams with their franchise QB's have to do, 40M is going to be the median.

And let me ask you this. Just what the hell is this brain trust going to do with that extra cap not paying him 40M? Think they will spend it on great players?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I use to worry about How much Dak was gonna get paid . . . and how it would affect the team

But seeing How much Money was freed up and not spent . . . . It makes no difference to me .

Hell pay Him another 10 million a year . . . Rather see Him get it then watch the Jones boys sit on it
THAT seems lost on so many here. It is not his salary that is preventing them from building a better team, it is their incompetence and lack of a need to win.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
The rankles caused by Prescott's contract were ridiculous because the agents are driving the rates and their commissions.

Look at the WR contracts. Adams is now at 28M after Hopkins hit 27M. Cooper got his deal based on the position, not his production.

Just wait for Burrows and Herbert, they'll top Rodgers.

If Prescott delivers, we'll be hoping they can keep it in the mid 40's but it will be relative to the cap anyway.

I believe these agents have a position spread sheet based on the cap with the positions ranked and contracts attached.

The reality is every team has to have that guy, the franchise QB, and his pay is not based on his production as much as what the position demands. What do we think Brady would get if he was a money hound? 60?

And players like Mahomes who get the big contracts pull the salaries of the rest of the league up with them. Remember Joe Namath?

He got a $427,000 contract, which at the time was a "what the....", "are the Jets nuts?" contract. But in a year or two I bet if you checked salaries for other quarterbacks went up substantially...

Flamma

Reaction score
For all of those that complain about Dak's contract, myself included, he has yet to have a cap hit that is prohibitive. When we don't make a splash this upcoming season, will that say more about Dak, or the people building the team around him? Or both? Dak's cap hit will be the same as Stafford's was last year with a higher cap. You make the call.

Flamma

Reaction score
Its getting out of hand.

No it doesn't. It needs to be addressed by the owners. Never make rules to save people from themselves.

Flamma

Reaction score
Yet the GOAT Brady is scheduled to earn a base salary of only $8.925 million in 2022 w/a signing bonus of $15 million, a roster bonus of $1,470,588, & an incentive bonus of $1.875 million, while carrying a cap hit of $20,270,588 & a dead cap value of $32 million. o_O

Brady plays to win. He stacks the deck in his favor. But hey, you didn't see him take league minimum either, right?

visionary

Reaction score
This elite QB you speak of, I want one. Where can we get one?

I am not a Dakster but I do realize this team could do worse and has many times. Just recently when they picked this QB, they tried to get 2 that are not even in the league any longer. It's not like teams are offering straight up trades for their elite QB's.

It was not that I wanted them to pay him 40M but I realized what they had to do. Just like these other teams with their franchise QB's have to do, 40M is going to be the median.

And let me ask you this. Just what the hell is this brain trust going to do with that extra cap not paying him 40M? Think they will spend it on great players?

You “realized what they had”? An average QB?

this FO gave Dak everything possible on offense. 3 great WRs, and OL with 3 rd 1 picks, 2 good RBs

what the heck else does this guy need to perform ?

so I don’t care “what this FO” is doing with the extra cap space this year, the supposedly elite QB crapped the bed when he had everything lined up to succeed

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Brady plays to win. He stacks the deck in his favor. But hey, you didn't see him take league minimum either, right?

And:

According to Business Insider, his wife... takes home $44 million (a year) from her various beauty, fragrance and clothing contracts.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
Of course they are. This is how the qb market works and up next will be Lamar and kyler and Carr will get a huge raise too. Every time a franchise qb hits the market or free agency it resets the market. It’s why it’s always been silly to make a big deal over daks deal Imo.