All roads lead to Gallup - the WR study

John813

Reaction score
The young guys will need to show the coaches they can not only adjust to the speed and physical play of the NFL, but also show they can be adequate blockers.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I agree. They are actually building the roster similarly to how I would if it were my job. Yes, we'd all like to have a stud 1-tech and FS, but those guys aren't always easy to come by and they certainly aren't the highest priority.
That’s why I don’t want us to hand over so much for ET to come here. We have safeties that are developing and unless our new secondary coach is lying he is pumped with what we have. I knew Marinelli wouldn’t go for a monster in the middle. He wants speed all the way across. Hurts sometimes against the run.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
They will eat the money on T-Will if he don’t play better than 5 other WR in camp. They are gonna be sick of his crap. Bad enough he had foot surgery but the DUI will result in a suspension anyways. Probly 2 games.

Would you keep a stupid WR who isn't all that around when you are trying to bring in a bunch of young WRs, trying to find the face of your Offense for the next 10 years?

I would not. I would want them as far away from these young guys as possible if it were me.

I agree with you. Williams better straighten up and Ball like no other, if he wants to keep a spot on this team. JMO.....

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
My understanding is if we release Williams we can either take a $2.5 million cap hit immediately or spread the hit over two years, gaining $1.125 million in cap space this year and $1.125 million next year (compared to the cost to keep him). I base this on the fact that Williams has $7.25 million remaining in guaranteed money, but is set to make $4.75 million each of the next two seasons (2018 and 2019) or $9.5 million total.

However, I'm not 100 percent sure if his guaranteed salary can be spread over two years like the bonus money can or if it hits the cap immediately. If that's the case, Dallas could take around a $625,000 cap hit this year and save nearly $3 million next year (compared to what he would have been paid).

(Remember that if we take a $2.5 million hit this year that we save the entire $4.75 million we're set to pay him next year.)

Please correct me if I'm wrong ... math isn't my strongest subject.

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
My understanding is if we release Williams we can either take a $2.5 million cap hit immediately or spread the hit over two years, gaining $1.125 million in cap space this year and $1.125 million next year (compared to the cost to keep him). I base this on the fact that Williams has $7.25 million remaining in guaranteed money, but is set to make $4.75 million each of the next two seasons (2018 and 2019) or $9.5 million total.

However, I'm not 100 percent sure if his guaranteed salary can be spread over two years like the bonus money can or if it hits the cap immediately. If that's the case, Dallas could take around a $625,000 cap hit this year and save nearly $3 million next year (compared to what he would have been paid).

(Remember that if we take a $2.5 million hit this year that we save the entire $4.75 million we're set to pay him next year.)

Please correct me if I'm wrong ... math isn't my strongest subject.
According to OTC, we gain no cap space this season by releasing Williams this season.

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
If I understand what Gimmie said, we would take a 625K hit this year.
At this point, post June 1, his cap hit is what it is whether he is on the roster or not. No extra hit, but no gain either. It would create $2.5M of dead space next year, which would save $2.25M toward the 2019 cap

McKDaddy

Reaction score
This is a blessing in disguise honestly. I think I read where if he gets suspended, this guaranteed money can be voided. That would be our out. TWill is worthless and does nothing the other WRs we have can't do. He adds no real value. I didn't like us extending him in the first place. There's a TWill on every single team.

Chat Sports has said numerous times that if he is suspended that it does give the organization a money saving out.

Otherwise, I have to disagree that he is worthless. He has flaws & certainly he has made a couple critical mistakes during games. Really disappointing that he would let the DUI occur when he knows the organization is open to cutting veterans. However, he has also made a lot of big plays that fans don't give him enough credit for. Not just the Seattle catch but if you go back & watch games you don't even remember, he made a lot of critical plays that helped us win games. Is he an elite talent? no. but he is clearly a legit starting NFL receiver.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
He'll put up with you if he thinks you could somehow eventually produce. See: Gregory. It does depend on how much they like him. But it literally costs them nothing extra to see if he will produce.

Gregory is still an unknown, though. We have seen TWill here for years. He's had one good season and that was 2014 (I think). Ever since then, it's been downhill. For Dez, too and they finally got rid of him. Although he was making a lot more. I just think getting rid of TWill by itself is a positive move. Regardless of the money he is making. He's a net negative on the field and is not a smart football player IQ wise.

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
Gregory is still an unknown, though. We have seen TWill here for years. He's had one good season and that was 2014 (I think). Ever since then, it's been downhill. For Dez, too and they finally got rid of him. Although he was making a lot more. I just think getting rid of TWill by itself is a positive move. Regardless of the money he is making. He's a net negative on the field and is not a smart football player IQ wise.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not campaigning on behalf of TW. All I'm saying is I could see a logical path the team could take to keep him, and it's not a stretch. I would have cut him after the stupid Lambo incident. He obviously struggles with decision-making.

JustChip

Reaction score
And he played pretty well in 2016 when Dez was out of the lineup. And he's regarded as a good run-blocking receiver.

His real issue to me is inconsistency. He'll disappear for games at a time and then show up big time. He had 9 catches against KC after having 2, 0 and 2 the prior 3 weeks and 1 the week after the KC game. He also makes the circus catches (outstanding sideline catch against Houston in 2014 that enabled us to not lose that game) and blows the routine.

He is a willing and good blocker which is a must for this offense. That doesn't mean other's aren't, but I think he's here again this year, barring suspension, just for some measure of continuity.

gimmesix

Reaction score
According to OTC, we gain no cap space this season by releasing Williams this season.

The more I read about it, the more I believe this is correct, but that the cost to cut him could be minimal. All the stories I've read on post-June 1 designated cuts indicate that it is only bonus money that can be split over two years.

Williams is set to receive $3.5 million in guaranteed salary this year and $1.25 million in signing bonus each of the next three years (as far as the cap is concerned) for a total dead cap of $7.25 million. His cap hit for this year is $4.75 million.

If he's cut this year, we would have to take the $3.5 million hit plus half of his remaining $3.75 million prorated bonus ($1.875 million) as a post-June 1 cut. So we're talking about $5.3 million as the hit this year compared to $4.75 million that it costs to keep him.

Next year, the second half of the bonus money would hit and at $1.875 million again it would be less than the $2.5 million that we'd have to pay to cut him compared to $4.75 million to keep him. It would make up for what we lose for cutting him this year. (Again, we could designate him a post-June 1 cut and take a $1.25 cap hit in 2019 and $1.25 million cap hit in 2020 if we wanted to go that route.)

So, the question is whether Dallas would feel it has to keep Williams (if the other receivers are better) if it only costs about $600,000 in cap space to cut him and it would receive back that amount in cap savings the next year.

gimmesix

Reaction score
If I understand what Gimmie said, we would take a 625K hit this year.

Yes, to be as clear as mud, we could pay $5.3-plus million this year and $1.875 million next year to cut him now.

Or we could pay $4.75 million this year to keep him and cut him next year for $2.5 million (which could be split over two years if we want).

If we do the first one, we lose $600,000-plus in cap space this year, then gain it back next year.

This is assuming that he is cut next year no matter what, which may not be the case.

Verdict

Reaction score
I am just glad we are now removed from the stale Dez/Witten combo. I made a thread about that yesterday. This offense desperately needed a makeover. I don't think Dak would have progressed with that current WR core. I didn't agree with getting rid of Switzer though. We didn't even give him a chance. He could have grown in this current offensive approach. But with Dez and Witten, many WRs don't get a legit chance. I am glad we don't have a "#1" receiver Dak has to worry about pleasing. Everyone is on equal ground. Dak works best that way. He has even said that. This is the type of offense I have wanted for awhile now.

Preach it, brother.

Verdict

Reaction score
Normally speaking williams would be around for another year because of his contract, and he may be, but it's not a given. I think if he gets outplayed he could very realistically be cut.

For instance if Wilson makes the cut instead of Williams, we will have dead money but the player who replaces him costs almost nothing. So the difference in cap hit isn't really all that much, plus you have him under contract for four full years, CHEAP, CHEAP, CHEAP!

Long term, it is better to move on from Williams in a case like that. More importantly, Williams hasn't been an impact player, and he seems to be a bit of a MORON. I don't know if you guys have noticed it or not, but the team seems to have an Anti Moron movement going on right now, in a major way.

Im not sure how NFI list/pup/suspension will affect the evaluation of Williams.

JustChip

Reaction score
If he's cut this year, we would have to take the $3.5 million hit plus half of his remaining $3.75 million prorated bonus ($1.875 million) as a post-June 1 cut. So we're talking about $5.3 million as the hit this year

You also have to factor in the cap cost of whoever takes his roster spot. It's probably not great, but it is an additional hit to the cap.