All the coaches still in the Playoffs are known for their innovative and smart game plans. Garrett?

conner01

Reaction score
Andy Reid I wouldnt call it great scheme. He has the perfect combination of a street ball QB and street ball WR. And when that’s covered up dump it to Kelce over the middle.

When they had hunt they were unbeatable.
I give them credit for designing a scheme to match their talent
Not many teams could pull off what they do because they wouldn’t have the players
But every coach or OC should design around what you have in players and add new stuff to compliment what you gain in the draft and FA
I think our OC has a system and stays within that system
I give Reid credit for innovative use of the talent he has
Every aspect of their scheme wouldn’t work here because of the guys we have but much of it could
To me it’s about not designing an offense but designing an offense that gets the most out of the guys you havr

fansince68

Reaction score
Garrett, if he is known for anything, it is his motivational skills.

What is more important as a HC.
Being a coach who has innovative, creative and smart game plans, or a coach who is known as a motivator?

Belicheat probably spends 99.5% of his time prior to,and during the game, game planning OR adjusting his game plan not motivating his players! Even when motivating Belicheat is talking about his game plan. “Do your job”( like the game plan taught you)

How does Garrett motivate? Clapping doesn't do it trust me. He was "internally " clapping for our offense, defense, and special teams against the Rams. Maybe he clapped for the cleats also.

Hook'em#11

Reaction score
Ridiculous. I want Garrett gone as much as the next fan. But. gimme a break. Rams have a stout O-line that controlled the whole damn game. Rams didn't need any Innovative plan. They ran it right down the Cowboys throats. Dallas defense could do nothing to stop it. Dallas were boys, hotless boys playing against grown men. The Rams dictated the plays. Dallas did nothing..That Rams O-line was phenomenal. Plain and simple. Gimme a dominant O-line and even a good RB over this BS "innovative, gimmick" stupid offense that everyone is so high on.. You don't have good O-line or D-line. You're screwed. Dominance will always win.

WarDaddy

kidcrook
Reaction score
Uh, no, Andy Reid isn't really famous for being innovative or particularly smart. Even at the peak of his career, when the Eagles went to 4 straight NFC championship games (the last of them leading to a Super Bowl berth), he wasn't typically heralded as brilliant. I think he was often tagged as being dumb, actually. That may be because of genuine issues like stubborn playcalling or clock- or game-management incompetence, or it may simply be because his extreme weight caused people to see him as a cartoonish oaf.

Reid has always been known as innovative on offense and an excellent game planner. Always. He almost always has a formidable team due to his offensive strategy.

To your point, he has been criticized for time management issues his entire head coaching career but he has been equally heralded for his offense.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Garrett should be known for his influence over Jerry’s poor instincts on the most part.

It’s quite a time consuming job with the Cowboys deflecting the distractions Jerry presents and avoiding collapses .Not many coaches could have success in this environment .

Really only one has and he was ran off after winning back to back championships which really tells us everything we need to know about the priorities here.

conner01

Reaction score
Reid has always been known as innovative on offense and an excellent game planner. Always. He almost always has a formidable team due to his offensive strategy.

To your point, he has been criticized for time management issues his entire head coaching career but he has been equally heralded for his offense.
The most impressive thing about Reid is he has changed his scheme to fit the NFL today and the players he has
He needs to give clock duties to someone else

silvrNblue

Reaction score
We will never be up there with the style of offense we have to run with Dak. In Tony's prime, yes, but now the way this team is built.
ROFL.. yeah cuz when ole T Romo was firing on all cylinders, and in his "prime" as you say, well hell he took us to.........ahh, umm hum ohh wait here is his ALL pro super duper winning in the post season record...
he never won a Lombardi Trophy or even reached an NFC Championship Game. Romo finishes with a 2-4 postseason record. 506:

IheartRomo

Reaction score
They certainly would have had the ball with decent amount of time left on the clock. The ending would have been more interesting to say the least.

Why am I not remembering Heath’s play? Which was it?

Big_D

Reaction score
That 3rd and 7 where Goff scrambled for 11 yards and the critical 1st down while Heath basically just watched Goff run by.

Basically like the entire D did. The Rams just ran for 270 yards and every defender bit on the run. Even if Heath figured it out in time, he wasn't catching him.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Why am I not remembering Heath’s play? Which was it?
The play Goff ran a bootleg on 3rd and long for a 1st down to ice the game. Heath had man coverage on the TE to the side Goff ran. The TE blocked down hard on the DL. Heath just froze watching the TE and by the time he recognized Goff had the ball, Goff ran right by him.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
ROFL.. yeah cuz when ole T Romo was firing on all cylinders, and in his "prime" as you say, well hell he took us to.........ahh, umm hum ohh wait here is his ALL pro super duper winning in the post season record...
he never won a Lombardi Trophy or even reached an NFC Championship Game. Romo finishes with a 2-4 postseason record. 506:[/QUOT
with the current structure and coaching romo was never going to be successful in post season and neither will dak. dak is good guy and when his contract is up he should move on to new team if he ever wants to have postseason success as tony should of done

goshan

Reaction score
Ridiculous. I want Garrett gone as much as the next fan. But. gimme a break. Rams have a stout O-line that controlled the whole damn game. Rams didn't need any Innovative plan. They ran it right down the Cowboys throats. Dallas defense could do nothing to stop it. Dallas were boys, hotless boys playing against grown men. The Rams dictated the plays. Dallas did nothing..That Rams O-line was phenomenal. Plain and simple. Gimme a dominant O-line and even a good RB over this BS "innovative, gimmick" stupid offense that everyone is so high on.. You don't have good O-line or D-line. You're screwed. Dominance will always win.

Absolutely not true. Look deeper and think more. Don't be like JG and SL.

What did the Rams do on Offense besides just line up and beat us at the LOS?

1. They used motion and personnel packages to confuse the Cowboy linebackers which took them out of position and made them hesitant at the snap. Every tenth of a second counts.
2. They gambled assuming the OL could 1:1 block the DL and didn't double-team, which allowed other OL to get to the 2nd level quickly.
3. They played at hurry-up pace so we couldn't swap out personnel.
4. They went to the LOS with 2-4 plays and based upon the way the DL was setup (where they lined up, hand placement) they chose which play and blocking scheme would work the best. Did you see Goff looking at the jumbotron the whole time?
5. Finally, they knew we would be focused on the pass, because Seattle couldn't run on us. They out smarted us and went in with a run-heavy game plan. But without 1-4, that game plan wouldn't have worked.

That's strategic and tactical game planning. That's studying your opponent and adjusting to beat them. That shows detailed understanding of Xs and Os. That's something our coaching staff has ever shown the ability to do. Our approach is to 'stop what we do', not to come up with an intelligent game plan that gives us the best chance to win in that specific situation. That doesn't work anymore.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
What about being THE last line of defense in those instances where everyone else fails to make a play and someone has to get there?
What about the front 7? The secondary had coverage assignments.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Garrett, if he is known for anything, it is his motivational skills.

What is more important as a HC.
Being a coach who has innovative, creative and smart game plans, or a coach who is known as a motivator?

Belicheat probably spends 99.5% of his time prior to,and during the game, game planning OR adjusting his game plan not motivating his players! Even when motivating Belicheat is talking about his game plan. “Do your job”( like the game plan taught you)

I've never understood this claim that Garrett is a "motivator". Im not seeing it. If you want to say that players like him then sure they appear to like the guy. He is likeable in person I am sure.

Motivation to me is getting the best out of your players. Its pushing the right buttons to make them better then they are. A team that overachieves or fulfills their potential has a coach that presses the right buttons at the right time.

That's NOT Garrett. His teams typically under achieve and often come out flat in prime time, important games. His record in win or go home type games bears that out.

Garrett does not inspire greatness. Dont see him that way. He treats them all the same way with respect and a nice fanny pat of confidence. Thats NOT how you press the right buttons. Not all the time anyway.