Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We drafted Steve DeBerg? he was a good QB
The 1st few years the Seahawks were playing, they took what seemed half of Dallas' castoffs.
I think their QB Zorn was with Dallas at one time. At least in a TC. I don't think. he was ever on a regular season roster.

Also Todd Christiansen from the Raiders, an avid Cowboys hater in his announcing days, angry he was released.

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
The 1st few years the Seahawks were playing, they took what seemed half of Dallas' castoffs.
I think their QB Zorn was with Dallas at one time. At least in a TC. I don't think. he was ever on a regular season roster.

Also Todd Christiansen from the Raiders, an avid Cowboys hater in his announcing days, angry he was released.
Good info
Todd was one great TE RIP

Cowboys5217

Reaction score

Zorn was a UDFA that did not make the team in 1975. Seattle signed him as a FA in 1976.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We drafted Steve DeBerg? he was a good QB
Yep, but we had Staubach and Danny White at the time. Of course, with hindsight we know Staubach was only a few years from retiring, so it would have been nice to have kept him

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Some Notables we didn't keep:

Steve DeBerg (QB- Had a solid career)
Todd Christenson (TE- RB in college)
Jimmy Smith (WR - had injury problems & Dallas cut him after 2 years without catching a pass. Went on to have a huge career.with over 12,000 yards)

NorthTexan95

Reaction score

Jimmy Smith (WR - had injury problems & Dallas cut him after 2 years without catching a pass. Went on to have a huge career.with over 12,000 yards)
Jimmy Smith also had drug problems. He might not have overcome his issues if he remained on those 90's Cowboys teams.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Jimmy Smith also had drug problems. He might not have overcome his issues if he remained on those 90's Cowboys teams.
I never heard anything about Jimmy Smith having drug problems.
Had a broken leg during TC, played on ST's but never caught a pass his rookie season. I think he missed about half the season.

He had an emergency appendectomy during TC, then got an infection from that, and missed a year in 93. And there was a rift over it with Jerry, and he released him. As Jerry did not want to pay him or give credit for the year. NFLPA filed a grievance. Jerry did not like it. Jimmy won his case, and Jerry had to pay his full pay. Then dumped him.

NorthTexan95

Reaction score
I never heard anything about Jimmy Smith having drug problems.
Had a broken leg during TC, played on ST's but never caught a pass his rookie season. I think he missed about half the season.

He had an emergency appendectomy during TC, then got an infection from that, and missed a year in 93. And there was a rift over it with Jerry, and he released him. As Jerry did not want to pay him or give credit for the year. NFLPA filed a grievance. Jerry did not like it. Jimmy won his case, and Jerry had to pay his full pay. Then dumped him.
I thought I remember that Jimmy Smith had some drug issues in college and into the NFL but I can't find that documented right now. I maybe mistaken. It is documented that he has struggled with drugs after the NFL.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
Dallas would also use late pick on flyers. Cowboys drafted NBA coach Pat Riley and track star Carl Lewis
I remember the Carl Lewis draft. It made sense historically since things worked out so well with Bob Hayes.

I did not know about the Pat Riley draft. That's a Cowboys trivia nugget that was new to me.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Yep, but we had Staubach and Danny White at the time. Of course, with hindsight we know Staubach was only a few years from retiring, so it would have been nice to have kept him
We also drafted Glenn Carano in the second round in that same draft. Steve DeBerg was taken in the 10th round. With Danny White being a third round pick back in 1974 it was going to be impossible for Steve DeBerg to stick around. He certainly never developed into a great QB but he had his moments and stuck around for a long time. I believe he was the oldest QB to ever start a game until Tom Brady this past season.

maryquality

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
We also drafted Glenn Carano in the second round in that same draft. Steve DeBerg was taken in the 10th round. With Danny White being a third round pick back in 1974 it was going to be impossible for Steve DeBerg to stick around. He certainly never developed into a great QB but he had his moments and stuck around for a long time. I believe he was the oldest QB to ever start a game until Tom Brady this past season.
Ahhh Glenn Carano. I had a school girl crush on Carano back in the day. I thought he was hot!! :p