Always draft BPA but how do you hope the draft falls?

Verdict

Reaction score
DT depth in this draft is supposed to be better than normal but it was when we drafted Collins from Nebraska too. I would prefer balky go DT in the second round ideally.

Then draft RT and flip Collins inside to guard.

DasSchnitzel

Reaction score
I want our terrifying DT already. I found myself hoping during the game that if JJ learned nothing else from the playoff loss, please at least bear witness to what a pair of Suh and Donald did the whole night.

If a really good prospect fell to bottom of 1st, I'd entertain trading up to get the 5th year option, so I'm definitely willing to jump to top of the 2nd like we did for DLaw.

Outside of that, I think we need more DBs more than most people are saying. Not only did Jones start breaking down more as the year went on, but we got really lucky health wise in the secondary this year. I don't remember any multi-game injuries to starters. That won't happen two years in a row, and I think two injured corners is all it takes to totally expose this defense right now. Another S to toss in with Heath and Woods instead of Frazier would be a big catch as well, both for depth and starter talent.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
DT depth in this draft is supposed to be better than normal but it was when we drafted Collins from Nebraska too. I would prefer balky go DT in the second round ideally.

This is the best DL draft maybe ever and our first pick is toward the end of round 2. Glad we have Amari but we needed a run stuffing DT last night way more than a WR.

RodeoJake

Reaction score
I'm in the want a stud DT camp. I hope we change our philosophy and sign a run stuffing 1t in FA and draft a solid 3t. The Rams really exposed our lack of talent at DT.

Daygoboy6191

Reaction score
I want our terrifying DT already. I found myself hoping during the game that if JJ learned nothing else from the playoff loss, please at least bear witness to what a pair of Suh and Donald did the whole night.

If a really good prospect fell to bottom of 1st, I'd entertain trading up to get the 5th year option, so I'm definitely willing to jump to top of the 2nd like we did for DLaw.

Outside of that, I think we need more DBs more than most people are saying. Not only did Jones start breaking down more as the year went on, but we got really lucky health wise in the secondary this year. I don't remember any multi-game injuries to starters. That won't happen two years in a row, and I think two injured corners is all it takes to totally expose this defense right now. Another S to toss in with Heath and Woods instead of Frazier would be a big catch as well, both for depth and starter talent.

We won't be making a jump into the 1st I can guarantee that. It would cost us nearly all our picks to do so.

We might trade up slightly, but I doubt it's even in the second round.

This team has a lot of money to play with, but also has a bunch of players due for a payday as well so I think think they might make a play or two on mid-level players to fill some holes before the draft to give us a much more balanced approach.

O-line: The interior o-line both starters and depth are signed through next year, but some competition is always needed along the trenches.
Draft or UDFA a couple

DT: Antwaun Woods is also signed through next year, but if we can add someone to make him a depth player would be ideal because we need to get beefier at the 1-tech.
FA Add: Jonathan Hankins
Draft 1

S we need a SS who can fill the box, but also has some range to make Heath a depth/ core special teams guy. FS Woods had some games, but far too inconsistent and isn't showing his playmaking ability he did in college.
FA Add: I would love to add Tyrann Mathieu he is a perfect fit in this system especially with Kris Richard taking over.
Draft 1

TE: I think the Cowboys are comfortable with what they have, but if a player they like is there they will address it. Plenty of depth at the position in the draft.

RB: Is a position they need to add some depth at, and a gadget/ receiving back is something they have interest based on them being really interest in Nyheim Hines last year.
Draft
WR: I am not sure if they bring Beasley back unless they money makes sense, but either way I think they look for someone who can be more dynamic at the position.
Bringing back Tavon is possible especially if we add a new OC.
FA Add: Jamison Crowder, now I doubt they want to spend that kind of money on slot WR, but his price tag could drop due to injuries.
Draft always has plenty of slot guys, but we need a playmaker there.

All in all I think this team is good and young and will get better. There's not many holes, but need for beef at DT, more versatile playmakers on offense, and overall depth is much needed. This can all be addressed fairly easy with the cap space and through the draft.

DasSchnitzel

Reaction score
Something that's encouraging is that they have been interested in some DTs but it didn't work out.

They wanted Donald, Rams at 13 were the major threat to take him and they did, Dallas got Martin at 16. I'm ok with that.

Dallas wanted Vita Vea and considered trading up but the cost was too high. Got LVE instead. Also ok with this.

Collins was a solid pick, as he's played up to the billing of a 3rd rounder but hasn't really exceeded it. Hard to complain, he is what he is and what the NFL thought he'd be, a mid-round talent. But the point is they drafted one in the top 3 rounds.

My point is that I think they want a DT more than it appears but they've been trying to follow their big board and BPA, and they have drafted well so it's hard to complain. They haven't spent big money on any position in FA, so that's not unique to DT either.

All that being said, I'm encouraged that this playoff game will ensure they're taking one if the value is there.

kskboys

Reaction score

If you're drafting BPA, you might end up drafting 7 RB's.

kskboys

Reaction score

Yeah, those who were crowing about being right about Jones(And there were a ton of them) need to back up and reevaluate.

I'm not sure Jones wasn't a better S.

DasSchnitzel

Reaction score
Yeah, those who were crowing about being right about Jones(And there were a ton of them) need to back up and reevaluate.

I think Jones is neither a pure S nor a pure CB and should be used game-to-game against the big bodied receiving threats. Put him on the Gronk types sometimes, like they used to, and on the Julio types sometimes, like they did this year. Just pick the guy Byron is a good match up on.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

This is right in your wheelhouse. You've been calling for bigger DTs since at least 2015.

Daygoboy6191

Reaction score

Jones is 10 times better at CB than at S. Problem is when you don't have confidence helping over the top against guys like Cooks you allow a bunch of stuff underneath. Jones lacks the ability to make plays on the ball which is somewhat okay at CB, but not okay at S.

Our problem last night was at DT not at CB.

kskboys

Reaction score
I think Jones is neither a pure S nor a pure CB and should be used game-to-game against the big bodied receiving threats. Put him on the Gronk types sometimes, like they used to, and on the Julio types sometimes, like they did this year. Just pick the guy Byron is a good match up on.
I like that idea. Good stuff.

kskboys

Reaction score
Jones is 10 times better at CB than at S. Problem is when you don't have confidence helping over the top against guys like Cooks you allow a bunch of stuff underneath. Jones lacks the ability to make plays on the ball which is somewhat okay at CB, but not okay at S.

Our problem last night was at DT not at CB.
Disagree.

Agree that we had a huge problem at DT last night. Basically, we've built a DL that works against weak/mediocre OL's. But, when you get the playoffs, you'll mostly face better ones. And that's what happened last night.

cnuball21

Reaction score
This is the best DL draft maybe ever and our first pick is toward the end of round 2. Glad we have Amari but we needed a run stuffing DT last night way more than a WR.

Agree...the DL class is absolutely loaded.

Kinda like the CB class when we got Chido in the 2nd, we’re going to be able to get a borderline first round talent with our 2nd round pick.

Daygoboy6191

Reaction score
Disagree.

Agree that we had a huge problem at DT last night. Basically, we've built a DL that works against weak/mediocre OL's. But, when you get the playoffs, you'll mostly face better ones. And that's what happened last night.

You disagree with Byron Jones being better at CB than at S?

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Luckily some of our needs align with the strengths of this draft. If I'm the Cowboys front office I'm drafting 2 TEs, 2 DTs, and 2 WRs

RS12

Reaction score
Brown out of Auburn might be there as 1T with some twitch, but I thought we already decided Jerry was drafting Bryce Love since Dak needs more weapons.