Always draft BPA but how do you hope the draft falls?

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I think Steven wants our offense to be elite again. You could make an argument that the defense is good enough. If we had this defense in 2016 we would have gone to the Superbowl. I expect offensive players to be a high priority in this draft.

Verdammung

Reaction score
I know the question is about ranking our needs, but given we're picking at 58 and looking at our team, I'm not interested in hoping for a single position.

The best option available isn't strictly speaking the best player available, so much as it is the best round grade available. If you have a second round RB and a second round DT available; take the DT. If you have a second round RB and a third round DT; take the RB. We might hate taking a RB, but something tells me we might need that running back; he might last longer on the team than Zeke.

Verdict

Reaction score
We can use a playmaker at any position but I hop we address RB, WR, DB and DT in the draft,

kskboys

Reaction score
While that's true, it's not likely.
It's exaggerating to make a point, V. BPA is extremely foolish as a standalone draft strategy.

I think what you're really saying is that you should never take much lower rated players just because it's a position of need. I would agree completely w/ that.

Verdict

Reaction score
It's exaggerating to make a point, V. BPA is extremely foolish as a standalone draft strategy.

I think what you're really saying is that you should never take much lower rated players just because it's a position of need. I would agree completely w/ that.

I don't know about all that. I guess that conceivably it could fall that way, but you are usually better off sticking to your board. Reaching for need is what netted us Taco.

kskboys

Reaction score
I know the question is about ranking our needs, but given we're picking at 58 and looking at our team, I'm not interested in hoping for a single position.

The best option available isn't strictly speaking the best player available, so much as it is the best round grade available. If you have a second round RB and a second round DT available; take the DT. If you have a second round RB and a third round DT; take the RB. We might hate taking a RB, but something tells me we might need that running back; he might last longer on the team than Zeke.
It's more than that. What we really need to start looking for is DL's, especially interior DL's, who have the skillset necessary to create LOS disruption. We need to quit focusing on height and sacks and start focusing on quick first step, lateral agility, burst, motor, and leverage. I'm not sure we even look at any of those things.

Verdict

Reaction score
Let's also look at this another way. The year we drafted Taco, it was supposedly deep at DB and particularly at corner.

How would our team have looked if we had passed on Taco and drafted a DB at his spot? We could have stud corner, Awuzie, and Lewis out of that draft and Byron could be trade bait and save the cap hit for Byron.

Instead it appears, so far, like we got a swing and a miss on Taco

kskboys

Reaction score
I don't know about all that. I guess that conceivably it could fall that way, but you are usually better off sticking to your board. Reaching for need is what netted us Taco.
No, it's not, V. What netted us Taco is being OK w/ taking projects in the early rounds. Taco was rated highly, but he was a project. The thing w/ projects is that you're drafting strictly based on upside. That means u don't know how they'll turn out.

kskboys

Reaction score
Let's also look at this another way. The year we drafted Taco, it was supposedly deep at DB and particularly at corner.

How would our team have looked if we had passed on Taco and drafted a DB at his spot? We could have stud corner, Awuzie, and Lewis out of that draft and Byron could be trade bait and save the cap hit for Byron.

Instead it appears, so far, like we got a swing and a miss on Taco
I don't think there were any DB's rated higher than Taco.

I was against taking Taco, BTW.

Some guys I wanted there:

Justin Evans, S
Juju, WR
Dalvin Tomlinson, DT
Marcus Williams, S
Zach, Cunningham, ILB
Budda Baker, S

Verdict

Reaction score
I don't think there were any DB's rated higher than Taco.

I was against taking Taco, BTW.

Some guys I wanted there:

Justin Evans, S
Juju, WR
Dalvin Tomlinson, DT
Marcus Williams, S
Zach, Cunningham, ILB
Budda Baker, S

Taco had bust written all over him when the pick was made.

Verdict

Reaction score
No, it's not, V. What netted us Taco is being OK w/ taking projects in the early rounds. Taco was rated highly, but he was a project. The thing w/ projects is that you're drafting strictly based on upside. That means u don't know how they'll turn out.

You don't draft a 4 year project in the first round. Some projects work out,some don't. But he was taken way too early. Hopefully he will eventually turn the corner since we have already invested the pick. But he's a waste so far.

kskboys

Reaction score
You don't draft a 4 year project in the first round. Some projects work out,some don't. But he was taken way too early. Hopefully he will eventually turn the corner since we have already invested the pick. But he's a waste so far.
Oh, absolutely.

However, I think he was drafted using BPA. He was rated mid 1st in a lot of stuff I saw.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I want safeties, but doesn't appear to be a loaded class there. I was specifically saying positions that are loaded.

safeties can be difficult to draft as there are very few worth a pick and you have to be in the right spot of you way over draft someone. Couple guys should be avail via FA though

Verdict

Reaction score
Oh, absolutely.

However, I think he was drafted using BPA. He was rated mid 1st in a lot of stuff I saw.

I don't think he was the BPA when we drafted. I think we forced the pick based on need hoping he would replace Tanks $18M per year upcoming contract.

kskboys

Reaction score
I don't think he was the BPA when we drafted. I think we forced the pick based on need hoping he would replace Tanks $18M per year upcoming contract.
Everything I saw had him as a top 20 type talent. All signs show we took him as BPA.

He's actually a great example of why you don't use BPA to draft.