Am I the only one excited about a rebuild and high draft picks?

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
I see so many Cowboys fans upset about this season. But with all the injuries, it’s a lost season. And with COVID, it’s the perfect time to rebuild. We’ve got a lot of good young talent still. Identify the young ones we want to keep, try to trade older vets for draft picks, and get a stud with a top 5 pick.

If all the guys we want to keep come back healthy next year, we still have a good squad. And we’ve cut the fat and added lots of good draft picks.

This could be a blessing in disguise. Cowboys needed a true makeover.

I see you've never heard or seen high draft picks that turn out to be busts. Even a first pick in the draft has been a bust yet so many think that oh boy a high pick and so things will turn around for sure. Just about every team has drafted at least one and some several busts. Yes the chances are better that a team finds a good player but there are no guarantees. The browns went a decade with high picks and all they managed to do was earn high picks every year. There has to be a balance of veteran experienced players with a some young players mixed in. Name all the Super Bowl teams that did it with mostly young players and not having more veteran players. Most of those older players you want to trade if they get a 6th or probably a 7th round pick for you not going to build a championship team with 6th and 7th round picks. Those same players the Cowboys can't just cut because of all the dead money on the cap that you obviously forgot about.

movaughn88

Reaction score
I’m honestly way more excited to watch this coming game than the last few weeks. Expectations are no where where they were at the beginning of the season but I’d MUCH rather watch a young QB try to figure out his way in the league and some more hungry (I hope) rooks on defense make their way onto next years team.

I will root wayyyy harder for a nice DiNucci TD drive or big pass to CeeDee than Dalton’s sorry rump.

Shinaoi

Reaction score
The high draft picks are always interesting. I would love to sit in a top spot and trade down for a Kings ransom and have a knock out draft to rebuild this defense.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I see so many Cowboys fans upset about this season. But with all the injuries, it’s a lost season. And with COVID, it’s the perfect time to rebuild. We’ve got a lot of good young talent still. Identify the young ones we want to keep, try to trade older vets for draft picks, and get a stud with a top 5 pick.

If all the guys we want to keep come back healthy next year, we still have a good squad. And we’ve cut the fat and added lots of good draft picks.

Only need a defensive makeover. And yah, the high pick will be great.

Aven8

Reaction score
I’m excited but I’m not. The frost has barely hit the pumpkin and we are already dead with 9 games left. I would prefer a winning season. But it is what it is.

kskboys

Reaction score
Soooooooooooooooo, Charles Harris is just as good as Nick Bosa? Or Myles Garrett? Would you rather have Zeke or Bosa?

I'm hearing from some that it doesn't matter where you draft, so picking 1st or 15th obviously doesn't matter. That means there's no difference between Bradley Chubb and Arden Key, right?

lostar2009

Reaction score
I can't see how anyone is happy about a rebuild. Wouldn't this be the 3rd rebuild since 2007? I want to win and win now, wasn't this the point of brining in MM? We just need several quality players next year and we back in the mix.

catiii

Reaction score
Jerry is an arse and will be choosing the picks. Thank you very much. /mic drop o_O

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I see you've never heard or seen high draft picks that turn out to be busts. Even a first pick in the draft has been a bust yet so many think that oh boy a high pick and so things will turn around for sure. Just about every team has drafted at least one and some several busts. Yes the chances are better that a team finds a good player but there are no guarantees. The browns went a decade with high picks and all they managed to do was earn high picks every year. There has to be a balance of veteran experienced players with a some young players mixed in. Name all the Super Bowl teams that did it with mostly young players and not having more veteran players. Most of those older players you want to trade if they get a 6th or probably a 7th round pick for you not going to build a championship team with 6th and 7th round picks. Those same players the Cowboys can't just cut because of all the dead money on the cap that you obviously forgot about.
High 1st round picks are what get fan/media attention but having top picks in all rounds is a big bonus.

If a team can't make progress with all of those early picks in multiple rounds then that team was not likely to going make progress regardless.

The draft is all about probabilities and the probability of success is much much higher with a top 5 pick in each round than a bottom of the round pick in each.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
High 1st round picks are what get fan/media attention but having top picks in all rounds is a big bonus.

If a team can't make progress with all of those early picks in multiple rounds then that team was not likely to going make progress regardless.

The draft is all about probabilities and the probability of success is much much higher with a top 5 pick in each round than a bottom of the round pick in each.

Nobody will disagree that the higher the pick in each round the higher the chances of getting good players, BUT there are no guarantees in drafting. There have been busts in every round and as high as the 1st player taken in the draft. There have been teams that have gone for a decade of having top picks in the draft and what they accomplished was keep getting high picks in the draft. The browns, jets, bills all went through periods of high picks and nothing to show for it. Here's another thought on this. We've all seen a young player look really good and when he becomes a free agent and signs with another team he doesn't play as well because the new team doesn't have the talent the old team had that helped him look good. All I'm saying is even if the Cowboys end up with top 5 picks there is no guarantee that they turn things around in a year or even two. I'll hope that they do but I've seen 60 drafts and I've seen teams that expected big things from their picks only to be disappointed often enough to make me a wait and see guy and not get to excited about who got drafted until they prove themselves.

Cowfan75

Reaction score
How could we be excited for a rebuild? We sign Dak and there is no way we fix the O-line and defense by 2021, maybe not even the year after. And assume Jerry is sold on Nolan, which means we draft people to fit "his scheme". I'm not encouraged about anything with this FO.

diamonddelts

Reaction score

"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results."

Jfconrow

Reaction score
Me too the draft and building the team is half the fun. I started to get excited when they went with a new coach, but I was thinking the team would get a boast this year not crumble into pieces. It’s perfect timing though with Covid going on, not really into sports right now and gives you something to look forward to.

They had a great team with that Oline and the Zeke/Dak draft, so cant wait to see what they try next...maybe use the same recipe build the Oline. However, Bpa is definitely my preference and you don’t know what direction that will take the team. Exciting to start over.

Last edited:

cristglo

Reaction score
Exactly. This is the worst year to suck. Not happy or excited at all. Can you imagine all of the players who had great junior years and then gel off their senior year? Those guys would benefit highly this year.
I understand what your both saying I feel its a 50/50 shot. An argument could be said that they took the year off to work with NFL trainers crafted my skill and body come in and blow up the combine. Even that is a 50/50 shot LOL

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I understand what your both saying I feel its a 50/50 shot. An argument could be said that they took the year off to work with NFL trainers crafted my skill and body come in and blow up the combine. Even that is a 50/50 shot LOL
Possible. Hard to tell I just think it’s gonna be a mess.

cristglo

Reaction score
Possible. Hard to tell I just think it’s gonna be a mess.

I think this is where great scouts will earn their money this year. I think we have a pretty good one in MClay and feel they are already deep diving on these kids.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Maybe if you’d asked this question in 1996, but not 25 years later. We’ve been “rebuilding” for a quarter of a century. Let that sink in.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No I'm not excited about the rebuild.

Because these are your contractors.

jerry-stephen.jpg

MaineBoy

Reaction score

Oh Brother....Jerry is just rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.....and he’s been doing it for the last 25 years with the same glacial results....Draft picks ? When he gets a top 5 pick he uses it on a running back...yah, this 26th year is going to be different this time...lol.