Am I the only one excited about a rebuild and high draft picks?

Sydla

Reaction score
Sure but the problem is the two guys handling the rebuild. That takes some of the fun out of it.

I have always thought they made two massive roster mistakes over the last 5-7 years. I think they overinvested in the OL and the TB position. You look around the league and look at the more successful teams and I don't think you'd find one that put as much into the TB and OL positions as we did. I think that came at the detriment of other positions, specifically DT and S.

Now before any of you wankers lose your mind I am not saying the OL is unimportant. But I think where we failed that other teams have done better at is turn middle and late round picks into good OL players. Look at KC last year, they went into the season with an OL that had a first round, a second round, a 6th round, a 7th round and a UDFA start for them.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Well we need about everything. Lol. Whom ever is the best player available when we pick will be the right pick. Lol. Other than WR. Maybe RB.
IF Parsons is there when we pick and we dont take him. This team doesnt care about winning.

MikeB80

Reaction score
People are excited that going into week 8 the cowboys season is over and in 6 months will have a lot of draft picks?

Really? The whole point is to play and win the games on sunday. Back to Back terrible years. Bad years in 15, 17, 19 and now 20 and people are excited.

Give me a break. How many bad seasons does it take? How many draft picks would they even need?

Sydla

Reaction score
People are excited that going into week 8 the cowboys season is over and in 6 months will have a lot of draft picks?

Really? The whole point is to play and win the games on sunday. Back to Back terrible years. Bad years in 15, 17, 19 and now 20 and people are excited.

Give me a break. How many bad seasons does it take? How many draft picks would they even need?

People are smart enough to see reality here. This season is over. So human nature it to look for the next thing that could interest and make you excited and that's this coming offseason.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I see so many Cowboys fans upset about this season. But with all the injuries, it’s a lost season. And with COVID, it’s the perfect time to rebuild. We’ve got a lot of good young talent still. Identify the young ones we want to keep, try to trade older vets for draft picks, and get a stud with a top 5 pick.

If all the guys we want to keep come back healthy next year, we still have a good squad. And we’ve cut the fat and added lots of good draft picks.

This could be a blessing in disguise. Cowboys needed a true makeover.
I would be excited about a rebuild if I could be reassured of these things:
  • Jerry has accepted the reality of how bad this current roster is.
  • I had confidence that this FO has learned anything new about how to build a championship roster.
  • If I had confidence Jerry had a HC that was skilled at developing young players. Let’s face it, Big Mac is not an ideal coach for a rebuild. He was hired because Jerry thought this team was close.
  • We had a GM that wasn’t 78, stubbornly arrogant and seemingly unable to learn from his mistakes. And hired all his kids regardless of qualifications or results.
If all four of the above points were true, I might feel better. I would love to be hopeful, but the boat we’re cruising on still says “Titanic” on the side unless we either get a new captain or a new sailing map.

75boyz

Reaction score
My response won't be to available draft slots and prospective draftees.
More a bigger rebuild picture. I mostly like McClay and his scouting staff. With that said, historically this is not the best team at evaluating d line talent.
This unit practically needs a complete overhaul/influx of new bodies.
I do not like McCarthy as the right guy to rebuild what is lacking. I do not like him as the HC period. His track record with anything associated with defensive personnel and defensive coaching is unacceptable.

Although the OP is not about this Front Office I would include my lack of confidence in its role in effectively managing draft assets as well.
I do not trust the Jones duo to optimize any trades involving current or future 1sts/2nds/3rds to higher wanted picks and that the higher pick is not only the right pick but an effective risk worth taking.

I guess I should have just said no to the OP based on coaching and FO being unqualified for the job.

Oh well, lol

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nobody will disagree that the higher the pick in each round the higher the chances of getting good players, BUT there are no guarantees in drafting. There have been busts in every round and as high as the 1st player taken in the draft. There have been teams that have gone for a decade of having top picks in the draft and what they accomplished was keep getting high picks in the draft. The browns, jets, bills all went through periods of high picks and nothing to show for it. Here's another thought on this. We've all seen a young player look really good and when he becomes a free agent and signs with another team he doesn't play as well because the new team doesn't have the talent the old team had that helped him look good. All I'm saying is even if the Cowboys end up with top 5 picks there is no guarantee that they turn things around in a year or even two. I'll hope that they do but I've seen 60 drafts and I've seen teams that expected big things from their picks only to be disappointed often enough to make me a wait and see guy and not get to excited about who got drafted until they prove themselves.
The draft is more fun when the Cowboys have an early pick.

Either win and entertain or get an early pick and entertain, just don't go 8-8...

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
The draft is more fun when the Cowboys have an early pick.

Either win and entertain or get an early pick and entertain, just don't go 8-8...

Again I always hope that every pick by the Cowboys turns out to be superstars even though that will never happen, I've seen enough drafts to know that there is a chance that their top pick could end up a bust and that is why I don't get all excited about whoever the Cowboys draft until they prove themselves. I've also seen enough drafts to know that having top 5 picks is not a guarantee that team will be turned around especially when the team has as many needs as the Cowboys have on both sides of the ball. Now adding in that fact that every team knows the cap will be smaller next year which will mean there will be less money after signing their own players to be able to sign free agents from other teams.so the draft will be the only and main source of filling holes. The number of holes and the number of picks means not everything is going to get fixed.

Darkhound

Reaction score
I see so many Cowboys fans upset about this season. But with all the injuries, it’s a lost season. And with COVID, it’s the perfect time to rebuild. We’ve got a lot of good young talent still. Identify the young ones we want to keep, try to trade older vets for draft picks, and get a stud with a top 5 pick.

If all the guys we want to keep come back healthy next year, we still have a good squad. And we’ve cut the fat and added lots of good draft picks.

This could be a blessing in disguise. Cowboys needed a true makeover.
Sir.... you faild to understand that NOTHING will truly change as long as the moron of jerry jones runs this show

period!!!

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Sir.... you faild to understand that NOTHING will truly change as long as the moron of jerry jones runs this show

period!!!

Funny thing, not ha ha funny, that Jones has THREE RINGS and don't say it was all Johnson because he admitted on the Super Bowl XLV pregame that he didn't have anywhere near the power and authority those outside of the organization thought he had. The one thing that irked him while he was in Dallas was having to go to Jones for things he thought he should have been able to decide himself. People outside of the team think that because Johnson had a history with the vikings GM and because of that Jones gave Johnson the go ahead to negotiate the Walker trade that this was the way it always was with Johnson playing GM and it was a one time thing. Now there are things that I don't like that Jones has done but he also has those 3 rings.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
ROFL.
They aren't rebuilding.
They just cut the bottom of roster dead weight.

It could be a nice springboard for next season but no a full on rebuilding wouldn't excite many people as that is a 2-3 year project minimum.
Good teams don't rebuild.

MikeB80

Reaction score
People are smart enough to see reality here. This season is over. So human nature it to look for the next thing that could interest and make you excited and that's this coming offseason.

and if they botch the draft and they are terrible again next season then what? Tank again and pretend the draft will fix all the problems?

Why ever play football?

How many years do they get to be a year away and one more good draft away?

Nothing is guaranteed especially when they used 2nd round picks on Jaylon smith and do not draft jj watt's of the world.

Darkhound

Reaction score
Funny thing, not ha ha funny, that Jones has THREE RINGS and don't say it was all Johnson because he admitted on the Super Bowl XLV pregame that he didn't have anywhere near the power and authority those outside of the organization thought he had. The one thing that irked him while he was in Dallas was having to go to Jones for things he thought he should have been able to decide himself. People outside of the team think that because Johnson had a history with the vikings GM and because of that Jones gave Johnson the go ahead to negotiate the Walker trade that this was the way it always was with Johnson playing GM and it was a one time thing. Now there are things that I don't like that Jones has done but he also has those 3 rings.

NO...jones is an total idiot and incompetent when it comes being a NFL GM

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
NO...jones is an total idiot and incompetent when it comes being a NFL GM

Lets see Jones has THREE rings and you have ZERO. With all of Jones' faults I'll take Jones over you every day and as the old saying goes twice on Sundays, you know football day.

king987

Reaction score
I think after years of gluing together a roster just to compete in the Garrett era, I'm all for a rebuild. Keep Dak (unless Trevor Lawrence really becomes an option), keep Lamb, keep Martin, keep a few other cogs and recent picks. Otherwise? Let's start fresh. Get what you can for overpaid players, do your best to get the contracts off your payroll.

Now, this is what I "think" the roster needs. After years of just scratching by and terrible contracts, I think this is what the roster needs.
Now will this franchise do it, and will they do it right? That's a whole different story! :huh:

And by the way? I'm totally okay if Dallas trades Zeke. Love Zeke, but by the time this team fixes this roster? He'll be toast. He's already showing signs of it.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They still have to make the right decisions in order to rebuild. Will they?
Well, with the Cowboys brain trust, why worry?
giphy.gif

triplets_93

Reaction score
Our future QB has tested positive for Covid, but I know he's going to be allright.

Looking for a bright future for the Dallas Cowboys!!

Forget 2020!!