Am I the only one excited about a rebuild and high draft picks?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Like I said, everyone else would have known since we were talking about the released players and adding up all the bonus money it was the bonus money of the released players and now you're getting all pissy because that had to be explained to you.

Gee with only the first 6 players after the top 20 it comes to 6.4mil that would be added to the dead money on the cap. I think you need a new calculator or learn how to use one. You proved that you have very limited comprehension skills so don't bother to reply because I'll just ignore it.

You are rude to everyone here and then you can't take it like a man when you are proven wrong.

"Don't bother to reply to me" is running and hiding in message board terms.

Ranked by Dead money if cut in 2021.

Rank..Amount...Player
1 ….. 44.00 ….. Demarcus Lawrence
2 ….. 28.00 ….. Amari Cooper
3 ….. 24.50 ….. Ezekiel Elliott
4 ….. 16.00 ….. Zack Martin
5 ….. 12.20 ….. La'el Collins
6 ….. 11.46 ….. CeeDee Lamb
7 ….. 9.40 ….. Jaylon Smith
8 ….. 8.87 ….. Tyron Smith
9 ….. 3.77 ….. Leighton Vander Esch
10 ….. 3.00 ….. Anthony Brown
11 ….. 3.00 ….. Blake Jarwin
12 ….. 2.52 ….. Trevon Diggs
13 ….. 1.20 ….. Jamize Olawale
14 ….. 0.78 ….. Trysten Hill
15 ….. 0.72 ….. Neville Gallimore
16 ….. 0.67 ….. Greg Zuerlein
17 ….. 0.55 ….. Reggie Robinson
18 ….. 0.52 ….. Connor Williams
19 ….. 0.50 ….. Chris Jones
20 ….. 0.44 ….. Connor McGovern
21 ….. 0.37 ….. Tyler Biadasz
22 ….. 0.34 ….. Tony Pollard
23 ….. 0.22 ….. Michael Gallup
24 ….. 0.20 ….. Maurice Canady
25 ….. 0.18 ….. Bradlee Anae
26 ….. 0.17 ….. Dorance Armstrong Jr.
27 ….. 0.11 ….. Dalton Schultz
28 ….. 0.11 ….. Stephen Guidry
29 ….. 0.10 ….. Darian Thompson
30 ….. 0.10 ….. Randy Gregory
31 ….. 0.07 ….. Ben DiNucci
32 ….. 0.06 ….. Donovan Wilson
33 ….. 0.01 ….. Sean McKeon
34 ….. 0.01 ….. Terence Steele
35 ….. 0.01 ….. Rico Dowdle
36 ….. 0.00 ….. Azur Kamara
37 ….. 0.00 ….. Luke Gifford
38 ….. 0.00 ….. Brandon Knight
39 ….. 0.00 ….. Justin Hamilton
40 ….. 0.00 ….. Garrett Gilbert
41 ….. 0.00 ….. Steven Parker
42 ….. 0.00 ….. Mitch Hyatt
43 ….. 0.00 ….. Francis Bernard

LifetimeBoysFan

Reaction score
I will agree as long as we are doing a full reboot on defense. Including coaching. I’m not worried about scoring points when Dak is back and the OL has depth and health.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
Operation Tanker is going great from the games so far. Dolphins won, Bengals won, and Vikings won.

fansince68

Reaction score
lol at this garbage post.

Fans cry about him not getting surgery the last couple of years but then would complain if he did ("uhh why is he having surgery during our window to win, back in my day players would tough it out").

Dude finally has surgery in literally the perfect scenario (beginning of the year in a wash season) and now he's "Mr Hurt" and needs to be traded

I swear this fanbase is a joke
Garbage? People like you and Jerry get too attached and don't know when to let go before the player has absolutely no value. Is Tyron that great where not playing a full season equates to a GREAT season? How many playoff victories does Tyron have? Changing the culture includes in the ability to move on from players before their value dissipates. Sir, your Fandom and assessment is GARBAGE.

Skillit

Reaction score
How many years of top 5 picks did the browns get.......and squander......year after year.

And this year, they MIGHT be ok?

Rams did the same thing under Jeff Fisher. 5-6 years of top picks and mismanagement.

Top picks don’t mean much when you don’t pick well AND manage the cap as well as free agency. Plenty of teams have been really bad for a really long time.
Forget the picks.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
I see so many Cowboys fans upset about this season. But with all the injuries, it’s a lost season. And with COVID, it’s the perfect time to rebuild. We’ve got a lot of good young talent still. Identify the young ones we want to keep, try to trade older vets for draft picks, and get a stud with a top 5 pick.

If all the guys we want to keep come back healthy next year, we still have a good squad. And we’ve cut the fat and added lots of good draft picks.

This could be a blessing in disguise. Cowboys needed a true makeover.

I think if you gave Dallas the first 5 picks it would not matter. The culture is toxic.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
I see so many Cowboys fans upset about this season. But with all the injuries, it’s a lost season. And with COVID, it’s the perfect time to rebuild. We’ve got a lot of good young talent still. Identify the young ones we want to keep, try to trade older vets for draft picks, and get a stud with a top 5 pick.

If all the guys we want to keep come back healthy next year, we still have a good squad. And we’ve cut the fat and added lots of good draft picks.

1989? Redux,?

kskboys

Reaction score
Most of the really big problems are on defense and there have been former players and coaches that have questioned Nolan's decision to install a very complicated convoluted defense that has the players fit his defense instead of a defense that fits his players without any off seasons programs and preseason games. So would I rather have players with experience and have played and know the speed of the NFL game over players that have not taken a single snap in the NFL and all 32 teams passed on drafting those players making them UDFA. Yes every few years a UDFA comes along that is really good like Romo but to expect that all the UDFA a team signs is better than and are going to be productive players in their rookie season is nothing but wishful thinking and that's what it would take if the Cowboys released as many players as what I replied to the user that suggested that. And it's not just doing this with the UDFA but every draft pick has to hit the field running including the 5th, 6th and 7th round picks. Answer a question for me. How many teams after the final cut has kept all of their draft picks and all of the UDFA they signed before camp truly believing those players are better than the players that have NFL experience? Yes the are a couple of needs along the offensive line but the same thing applies to them too.
If this team were close, I could agree w/ you. We're not.

kskboys

Reaction score
Haven't we been rebuilding for about 20 years? We just get lucky and have a good season now and then.
No, the exact opposite. Jerry's refusal to ever rebuild has kept us in perennial mediocrity.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
If this team were close, I could agree w/ you. We're not.

So you think a bunch of UDFA are better than those that have actual NFL experience, some with 2 and 3 years experience and some vets with multiple years experience? You also didn't answer my question about how many teams kept all their draft picks and UDFA they signed for their final roster after the last cut. I got a feeling it was deliberate because NFL teams don't do that.

Ken

Reaction score

I agree. It isn't like we are total crap because we are healthy. We have had horrific season-ending injuries that make it almost impossible to compete.

This is a chance for us to reload and fix our defense. This is a chance for us to make trades, it is a chance to develop young players.

I am all in on being competitively horrible!

kskboys

Reaction score
So you think a bunch of UDFA are better than those that have actual NFL experience, some with 2 and 3 years experience and some vets with multiple years experience? You also didn't answer my question about how many teams kept all their draft picks and UDFA they signed for their final roster after the last cut. I got a feeling it was deliberate because NFL teams don't do that.
Sorry, just skimmed over your response.

I think we need to search for young talent. IMO, it's not about which player is better right now. Better would lead us back to mediocrity. We need some young fast studs, we need to start the process of getting back into super bowl contention. Retaining JAG's isn't the way.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
It's not a true rebuild when you think you have a franchise QB and are willing to give him top 3 QB money.

JonesBoys

Reaction score

I’m excited until I remember Jerrah Jones is the GM influencing the picks. Maybe another running back at pick #2 overall?

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score

I agree. However, for this to be done properly, we need to do a few things:

1. Shut down Zeke for the season. I think his COVID thing in the offseason may be impacting him or he may have something wrong. I'd shut him down for the rest of the season and give a few other RBs some playing time. See what we have backing him up along with Pollard.
  2. Shut down Lee and LVE. Don't burn them out yet. Give them the rest of the season off. In the meantime, see who all is at LB that can be useful later. See how much of an upgrade we need there.
  3. Rotate Nooch, Dalton (when healthy), Cooper Rush, and Garrett Gilbert like you would in the preseason. They get starts in rotating games (like rotating starting pitchers). See who would be the best 2 and 3 behind Dak. The losers don't return next year.
  4. Shut down Cooper. He's not helping out there (partially because the QBs can't get him the ball). So, I'd shut him down and call up Jon'Vea Johnson so he can get some minutes in an NFL game.
Basically, shut down our biggest stars, and test out what we have. The weaknesses we discover that we have can be addressed in FA and the draft. We know we have issues at DB, LB, and DT. But this will give us a chance to see just how much we need to address this offseason. And no rubbish bin diving for Jerry this year. We need to do it properly!

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Sorry, just skimmed over your response.

I think we need to search for young talent. IMO, it's not about which player is better right now. Better would lead us back to mediocrity. We need some young fast studs, we need to start the process of getting back into super bowl contention. Retaining JAG's isn't the way.

Like I said, teams bring in lots of UDFA every year but only a few make teams final roster. A few more get signed to practice squads but I seriously doubt that this year's practice squad rules will be repeated again so for this team or any other team that would make wholesale cuts and replace them with UDFA in the HOPES that in a couple of years they can produce is many times more risky that pinning their hopes on a drafted player who might have been good in college but never achieve that same level in the NFL. This would also have a bad reverse affect on any player they have that they might want to extend when their contract is up. Those players will want out and go to a team that doesn't pin their hopes on unproven UDFA to built their team around making it a decade long battle just get to 8-8 on a regular basis. I get it that you're not happy with the way things are, nobody here is, but changing to a bunch of UDFA is not the smart or fast way to rebuild a team.