Video: AM: O-line run blocking

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I believe the Cowboys Oline would best be served by running some trap blocking inside. This would more easily counter having to reach block...and miss as has been happening lately. It would also better counter opposing Dlinemen lining up in the gaps or shooting the gaps in order to disrupt the run play like they have lately.

In the Eagles game they ran some plays with OL pulling in ways that I have not seen much of before or after that game.

One simple play was that Connor Williams pulled behind Frederick just moving over 1 gap to the opposite side of Frederick. That worked well. They ran a few with 2 OL pulling that also worked.

I'm going to post a video later of a technique issue and contrast it with the technique used by the Rams against the Cowboys.

Nav22

Reaction score
I have no idea what you are going on about.
You are just yelling nonsensical failed points that are not even tying back to the conversation.

I'm not trying to be rude but jebus christ dude. You just come from know where and start saying stuff with no relevance.
Oh, so you HAVEN’T been attempting to absolve Zeke of blame for his garbage performance Sunday night???

Yeah, you haven’t done any of that!

I’m just crazy!
:laugh:

Whyjerry

Reaction score

Thanks for sharing. A lack of physical play on both sides of the ball is a major issue. To simplify these guys aren’t trying hard. The whole team
Is sleep walking. With all they have invested in the OL it is a disgrace.

I will be unpopular for this but if Smith can’t practice he needs to sit. Enough with this part time crap.

Everything is too comfortable in Dallas.

Gaede

Reaction score
Pollard has a second gear, much like Cook when hitting the hole. Has anyone seen that from Zeke this year? Even lineman catch him by his ankles when getting past them.
Pollard also falls down as soon as someone lays a hand on him

Gaede

Reaction score
I think the problem is that we have an OL coach with training wheels.

Jerry is loyal to a fault. Colombo has shown nothing as an OL coach outside of his history with the organization. This the same blind loyalty that gave us Garrett.

Qcard

Reaction score
This will go over like a fart in church.

The Zeke hating mob around here already have their pitchforks sharpened.
They wanted Ramsey and to hell with anything that doesn't bash Zeke.
It must be a miserable existence for "Cowboy fans" that hate both Dak & Zeke...

Do they exist? :thumbup:

Zman5

Reaction score
The 2014 OL was as good overall and possibly better when comparing each position individually.

The primary thing the 2014 OL didn't have was the intimidation factor of Erik Williams.
- EW in 92 & 93 put fear into defenses in a way that not even Larry Allen did year later.
- The modern rules probably wouldn't allow EW to function.
- The NFL did implement a rule specifically to limit EW.
- Even fans of other teams that I meet know Hands to the Face as the Erik Williams rule.

That's because we had Doug Free. :muttley:

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I think Zeke's slump is a combination of the after-effects of his holdout and his partying ways that are catching up with him. Add to that, the decline of our OL and you've got the hot mess that we've seen in our running game this year. Passing more on 1st down should help us to be less predictable. It's just a shame that Garrett and Moore can't figure that out.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
The peak was in 2014 when Callahan was the OL coach. He was a master of both Zone and Man blocking.

Columbos' experience was all in a man blocking scheme but the Cowboys are continuing to attempt to use both Man/Zone.

Pollack had 2013-2014 under Callahan, Colombo had 2015-2017 under Pollack, then half of 2018 under Alexander.

Too bad they mismanaged Alexander. Highly regarded with decades of experience. The Hudson Houck of a new generation. Should have started with him solidifying the Callahan era zone blocking scheme then moving to improve from there. Colombo and the oline could have learned a lot from him, but they didn't need a big change in philosophy on a mostly pro bowl lineup.

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
This is why we need to run designed plays that get Zeke in space. Can can do rub routes, screens, tosses. Stretch them horizontally.

Running between the tackles sometimes doesn’t work just like the Saints game. If your linemen are getting beat then change it up.
our O line is not dominate anymore...can we just finally face it?...it makes me sick...all the money they get and cant open a sliver so Zeke can get 2 yards on 2 tries?....wont get over it for rest of the year unless we go on serious winning streak

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I think Zeke's slump is a combination of the after-effects of his holdout and his partying ways that are catching up with him. Add to that, the decline of our OL and you've got the hot mess that we've seen in our running game this year. Passing more on 1st down should help us to be less predictable. It's just a shame that Garrett and Moore can't figure that out.
its a lot more the O line...they are no longer dominate in run blocking..if we could get Callahan back maybe different story

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Good video. The run blocking is worse in 2019 than in 2016.

But Zeke is also slower, more hesitant, and has lost his burst.

These truths are not mutually exclusive.
plus they need to stop all of those stretch plays cause Zeke not fast around corner anymore...lets just adjust 65% pass 35% run like back in 2013 Romo days...let the pass set up the run

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
its a lot more the O line...they are no longer dominate in run blocking..if we could get Callahan back maybe different story

Zeke doesn't get nearly as many of the long runs he had earlier in his career, which strongly indicates his losing a step of speed and quickness. The injuries that have plagued the OL are such that they are the type that hang on indefinitely, especially those to the back. It's just a matter of time before they'll have to be replaced with young, healthy draftees. The ongoing hype that the Cowboy organization constantly publicize effectively serves to extend false values of their true competence. They're far from the dominating unit that they were several years ago in the running game. Injuries take a toll.

Last edited:

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I was happy with 250 yards a game. Nope everybody wanted 400 plus. Well this is the product of it.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
The 2014 OL was as good overall and possibly better when comparing each position individually.

The primary thing the 2014 OL didn't have was the intimidation factor of Erik Williams.
- EW in 92 & 93 put fear into defenses in a way that not even Larry Allen did year later.
- The modern rules probably wouldn't allow EW to function.
- The NFL did implement a rule specifically to limit EW.
- Even fans of other teams that I meet know Hands to the Face as the Erik Williams rule.
Just imagine: If the Cowboys weren't in the NFL, the rule book would be a pamphlet! :laugh:

Number1

Reaction score

this O could be devastating if they just get back to basics up front

a lot of this is X and Os, terrible line calls ... Frederick is tripping, and way too much zone blocking
they are loosing badly in run blocking from OG to OG

I never agreed with a big OL dancing and counting on long reach blocks, just get a man on a man quick and sustain the block
the only pancake block I can recall was the first play of the season, by Conner
where's the nasty Mark?

LBs are attacking the LOS at or before the snap with no fear of a TE running free up field or a crossing pattern behind them
the best way to get a LB out off the box is to make them cover your TE

BTW, a college read option look doesn't help if your QB never runs
and in a timing system it ought to be a R/P - you have to make defenses pay for run blitzing

the flip side is they've given Dak a clean pocket

a suggestion for Colombo - dumb it down and man up