Amari Cooper - All time Cowboys MVP?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I know he won’t win league MVP especially with only half a season here but I don’t know a player in Cowboys history who almost single handidly saved a season propelling them from an almost certain collapse into divisional champ and potential Super Bowl contender.

Yes, Roger in 1971 propelled us but that was a defending NFC champion team.

In 1992 Haley was a huge trade but that was a playoff team on the way up.

Even in 1993 when Emmitt missed the first two games of the season that was still the defending champs. I certainly don’t believe that team would have gone 0-16 without Emmitt.

And in 1995 with Deion. Again that was a championship caliber team that needed a little boost. I still think that team could have won it without Sanders.

But this situation with Coooer is unlike any I can recall in Cowboys history.

We were on the cusp of a major collapse . We already were predicting Linehan wouldn’t survive the next game and Garrett finally was all but gone at the end of the season if he could even survive it.

This team was spirally down faster than we’d seen since 1-7 in 2010. Most were saying we wouldn’t win another game. I’m not even sure if Dak had much hope for a new contract if we finished 3-13. Until Jerry pulled the trigger for the most successful trade in Cowboys history. Yea, I said it.

guag

Tertiary Adjunct of Unimatrix 01
Reaction score
Until Jerry pulled the trigger for the most successful trade in Cowboys history. Yea, I said it.
I will wait until we see how this team performs in the playoffs, but if we win at least a game or two in January then I might have to agree.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
All time? Come on Greggo. It’s been a great move and yes, JJ deserves some credit. But Cooper is the all time MVP? I want to see some playoff wins before putting a final grade on this trade and this season. Looks good at the moment, but there’s a lot of football left to play.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I will wait until we see how this team performs in the playoffs, but if we win at least a game or two in January then I might have to agree.
The point is ..it’s Already paid huge dividends on a team spirally down certain for an epic collapse.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
All time? Come on Greggo. It’s been a great move and yes, JJ deserves some credit. But Cooper is the all time MVP? I want to see some playoff wins before putting a final grade on this trade and this season. Looks good at the moment, but there’s a lot of football left to play.
What other player in Cowboy history turned their fortune in this manner?

From an almost certain non playoff team into a division champ and SB contender.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The season hasn't even played out and you guys are already trying to tie things to "Greatest all-time"....I think we'd all feel different on this move if it ends in a one and done or a Super Bowl run..........far too early to tell.
It doesn’t matter.

This was a team headed to 3-13 to 6-10 until Cooper arrived. That in itself is the story.

This team was done, over, caput, adios..this year until that trade.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The season hasn't even played out and you guys are already trying to tie things to "Greatest all-time"....I think we'd all feel different on this move if it ends in a one and done or a Super Bowl run..........far too early to tell.
Not greatest team all time but greatest trade and MVP.

What other player in Cowboys history instantly turned us around in such fashion?

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I agree it’s a great turnaround. All I’m saying is let’s wait until the “semester is over” before issuing a final grade.

Look, Cooper has been great. The team has turned it around. But if they make the playoffs and then lose in round one, what’s different than the last umpteen years of futility? Shouldn’t we wait to use the term “great” before they’ve even officially done anything? I’m hopeful this is a true turnaround but I’ll wait until late January before issuing a final grade.

The “progress report” grade right now is an A but there are still tests to take. It could move to an A+. Or it could drop to an A-.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Not greatest team all time but greatest trade and MVP.

What other player in Cowboys history instantly turned us around in such fashion?

In-season trade? Probably nothing season there's really nothing to compare it to. Trades in general? Charles Haley resulted in a Super Bowl as did the Hershel Walker trade.

It doesn’t matter.

This was a team headed to 3-13 to 6-10 until Cooper arrived. That in itself is the story.

This team was done, over, caput, adios..this year until that trade.
They were going to be 6-10 because they had terrible personnel. Honestly, if they had gotten Golden Tate or any of these guys the impact would've been felt. They had trash at receiver. Cooper deserves praise.....but he was more of a missing piece. The plan was to no longer have Beasley and Gallup or HUrns as our top options. They all went down on the depth chart and they alone made us better.

Don't get me wrong...Cooper has helped us win some games a long the way.

irishline

Reaction score

Judging by that criteria Hershel Walker should be our all time MVP, his trade brought us three (should have been 4 at least) Superbowls.

That and can we at least actually contend for a Superbowl before we say he turned us into a Superbowl contender.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Unfavorable results in the playoffs won’t detract from the greatest trade in Cowboys history to save a team and season from certain collapse.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I agree it’s a great turnaround. All I’m saying is let’s wait until the “semester is over” before issuing a final grade.

Look, Cooper has been great. The team has turned it around. But if they make the playoffs and then lose in round one, what’s different than the last umpteen years of futility? Shouldn’t we wait to use the term “great” before they’ve even officially done anything? I’m hopeful this is a true turnaround but I’ll wait until late January before issuing a final grade.

The “progress report” grade right now is an A but there are still tests to take. It could move to an A+. Or it could drop to an A-.

Exactly what I'm saying. The grade won't be any lower than a A-.......but it has potential to be a A+. Just too early to start grading IMO. Season hasn't finished out. If we go on a 3 game losing streak........not good.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
In-season trade? Probably nothing season there's really nothing to compare it to. Trades in general? Charles Haley resulted in a Super Bowl as did the Hershel Walker trade.

They were going to be 6-10 because they had terrible personnel. Honestly, if they had gotten Golden Tate or any of these guys the impact would've been felt. They had trash at receiver. Cooper deserves praise.....but he was more of a missing piece. The plan was to no longer have Beasley and Gallup or HUrns as our top options. They all went down on the depth chart and they alone made us better.

Don't get me wrong...Cooper has helped us win some games a long the way.
This was one of the best rosters we’ve had this era less an elite receiver and QB.

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
All time MVP? No. Need more time to determine that and that being how the trade works out. Cooper has not done enough to be considered a Cowboys all time MVP.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Exactly what I'm saying. The grade won't be any lower than a A-.......but it has potential to be a A+. Just too early to start grading IMO. Season hasn't finished out. If we go on a 3 game losing streak........not good.
We’re going to win the division. Only a troll would suggest otherwise . We’d have to lose out and Wash or Philly win out. Lol

Making the playoffs after this start is an “A” grade.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
All time MVP? No. Need more time to determine that and that being how the trade works out. Cooper has not done enough to be considered a Cowboys all time MVP.
Then tell me when another player has made such an impact resurrecting a Cowboy team spirally down then this type of surge to the playoffs.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
This was one of the best rosters we’ve had this era less an elite receiver and QB.

2016 was good, 2014 was good, 2007 was good.....this roster is just as comparable to them.......this "best roster" is nonsense to justify why Romo didn't do more with what he had. This team is flawed just like those teams are flawed. And we are flawed at quarterback just like we were then except this time around our quarterback has a knack for showing up in the 4th quarter of games.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
We’re going to win the division. Only a troll would suggest otherwise . We’d have to lose out and Wash or Philly win out. Lol

Making the playoffs after this start is an “A” grade.
I don't care bout just making the playoffs though lol. This team should've been making the playoffs prior to the Cooper trade. Making the playoffs and losing in the 1st round is unacceptable and if it happens its the "same ol' Cowboys".