Amari Cooper - All time Cowboys MVP?

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
I know he won’t win league MVP especially with only half a season here but I don’t know a player in Cowboys history who almost single handidly saved a season propelling them from an almost certain collapse into divisional champ and potential Super Bowl contender.

Yes, Roger in 1971 propelled us but that was a defending NFC champion team.

In 1992 Haley was a huge trade but that was a playoff team on the way up.

Even in 1993 when Emmitt missed the first two games of the season that was still the defending champs. I certainly don’t believe that team would have gone 0-16 without Emmitt.

And in 1995 with Deion. Again that was a championship caliber team that needed a little boost. I still think that team could have won it without Sanders.

But this situation with Coooer is unlike any I can recall in Cowboys history.

We were on the cusp of a major collapse . We already were predicting Linehan wouldn’t survive the next game and Garrett finally was all but gone at the end of the season if he could even survive it.

This team was spirally down faster than we’d seen since 1-7 in 2010. Most were saying we wouldn’t win another game. I’m not even sure if Dak had much hope for a new contract if we finished 3-13. Until Jerry pulled the trigger for the most successful trade in Cowboys history. Yea, I said it.
If he has another 200 yard performance, most likely.

Very possible he tops 1,000 yards as a Cowboy after only spending half of the season with us.

He has completely changed the offense.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
There are people who comment on this team outside of this forum..

You get that, right?
Of course , that’s a given unless your just trying to be a wiseguy but I thought I included in one of my post that I was referring to this forum.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
Of course , that’s a given unless your just trying to be a wiseguy but I thought I included in one of my post that I was referring to this forum.

You may have..I didn't make it past your first ridiculous post that you started this thread with.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
You may have..I didn't make it past your first ridiculous post that you started this thread with.
Fair enough.. My title was a little misleading to the intent of my narrative.

Obviously Cooper isn’t the greatest MVP in Cowboy history but as I suggested couldn’t recall a player coming in as he has uplifting a Cowboys team to the playoffs that appeared spiraling to a collapse.

Cydios

Reaction score
I want to see him vs an elite team. Let's face it, eagles secondaries were 3rd string. Only problem is on good defenses, I don't see Dak needling the thread.

NumOneQB

Reaction score
If Dallas ends this season with a Super Bowl I would 100% agree with you. Far too early to tell at this point. It’s a helluva trade, no doubt...

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
Fair enough.. My title was a little misleading to the intent of my narrative.

Obviously Cooper isn’t the greatest MVP in Cowboy history but as I suggested couldn’t recall a player coming in as he has uplifting a Cowboys team to the playoffs that appeared spiraling to a collapse.

Yeah. The problem is anyone who thinks this team was "spiraling to a total collapse" or wasn't going to win another game all year should probably stop watching football. That's a seriously clueless assessment to make.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Yeah. The problem is anyone who thinks this team was "spiraling to a total collapse" or wasn't going to win another game all year should probably stop watching football. That's a seriously clueless assessment to make.
Lol

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Charles Haley......
The Cowboys had a losing record and appeared to be spiraling down in an apparent collapse when they signed Haley? No..

Haley uplifted them to a Super Bowl. He didn’t save the season from a collapse.

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
Miles Austin's 2009 season. He put up 1320 yards and 11 TDs and he only emerged as a starter in week 5. Circumstances were similar - they had just let TO go in the offseason and Roy Williams was a huge disappointment. Miles Austin saved that season when he emerged as a #1 WR

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
The Cowboys had a losing record and appeared to be spiraling down in an apparent collapse when they signed Haley? No..

Haley uplifted them to a Super Bowl. He didn’t save the season from a collapse.
That wasn't your question......

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
I know he won’t win league MVP especially with only half a season here but I don’t know a player in Cowboys history who almost single handidly saved a season propelling them from an almost certain collapse into divisional champ and potential Super Bowl contender.

Potential super bowl contender is going a bit far, looking back at the last game. Cowboys will have to improve a lot. Amari has been amazing, but I still see him as our second best player at this point.

mrmojo

Reaction score
Trading for Preston Pearson in 1975 and the dirty dozen draft set up the Boys to make 3 of the next 4 SBs. So throw Preston in there.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ok so let's stop the confusion. Do you think its fair to bring up what Romo did in a 10+ year career to what Dak did in a 3 year career? When it comes to stats that include "totals"?
Based on your own words? Yes.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Potential super bowl contender is going a bit far, looking back at the last game. Cowboys will have to improve a lot. Amari has been amazing, but I still see him as our second best player at this point.
Without Cooper our second best player wasn’t enough to carry us.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
That wasn't your question......
I understand. My question was a little misleading to draw attention. My intent was most valuable in this scenario by lifting a spiraling team headed to a collapse into contention. Which I stated later in OP.
Sorry and thanks for your response !

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
When you lose by 3 points or less every week? You are good enough to compete with these teams but bad enough not to win them? That's underachieving. Especially when you are in games despite your offense sucking. This team won 9 games when ZEke missed 6 games.......am I to believe that with ZEke they wouldn't have won one or two more games and been in the playoffs?

Its our nature to go conservative even with a small lead. Therefore, we lose so many games in which we could have won. Playing not to lose is the real reason we lost against the Texans, Seahawks and the Panthers. Thats on the coaches. If they would go for the jugular and beat the other teams with more than just a TD Im sure we win more games. But thats Garrett's philosophy. He's more like a motivational speaker than a true football coach if you ask me.