Amari Cooper and the Antonio Brown Trade

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't really think it matters who "won" between the Cowboys and the Raiders. I guess someone can compare that if they want to, and it's a logical thing to do, but ultimately the question we should judge this trade on is "was the trade we made with the Raiders worth the pick"?

I was leaning toward it was too much to pay, but after seeing the results last season on the field, I was leaning toward the front office made a very good trade. I may revisit this again after Amari gets his new contract because that's going to be a factor too.

Ultimately, in the short run the Raiders got a better player but a cancer. I think the smart money is saying that long term no way this turns out well for the Raiders. On the other hand ther emay be a honeymoon period with AB and I think that had long since passed for the Raiders with Amari.

I certainly think both teams won to some degree. My saying the Raiders made out better in my opinion doesn’t mean the Cowboys lost anything.

I still think Cooper was worth it.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Dallas did fine, assuming they sign Cooper long term. Probably gave up what would've been a top 10-12 pick for a top 10 WR that is only 25. Downside is that they got him 1.5 years and he's not going to be on a rookie deal. But he's damn good.

Oakland did fine in getting a 1st round pick and a top 5, 30 year old WR (committed to 3 years) while giving up a top 10, 25 year old WR (committed for 1 year) plus two mid round picks.

Pittsburgh got hosed massively except that the top 5 WR that led the league in TDs that they lost was a bit of a headache
Monetarily, they still take a huge cap hit.

I think Pittsburgh was just trying to get rid of part of the circus. I don't think they won the deal in terms of Brown's talent, however with the media crap surrounding him, a 3 and a 5 probably feels good enough.

....now they just have to wait and find out that Tomlin is the biggest problem with the team.

CWR

Reaction score
It doesn’t really have to, to be honest. It wasn’t a straight up trade. The 6 year age difference matters a lot when it comes to player value too. Although some on this site won’t admt that.

If I had my choice Id take Coop every time. Im only hoping his contract isn't compared to the best WR in the game.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Cowboys got what they wanted and I doubt that Brown was available when they were shopping for #1's and the Raiders got what they wanted. Gruden would rather pay Brown 19M than Cooper 14M. The Cowboys offered 16M for Watkins and will probably pay that to Cooper.

The difference in the history of these two players is that Brown is far less likely to disappear in games and does show up for the big ones even though he's target 1 for the DC. However, Cooper is still young and has time to develop, which is exactly what Brown did once he got into the NFL as a 6th round ST guy. They're on different paths in their career and I would prefer to have Brown for a couple seasons but over the long haul, I like the Cooper trade. And it's nice to have a WR that isn't a head case or prima donna so there's that too. I also think Cooper is better for Prescott than Brown who would be wanting to prove something.

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
Yes Amari has been amazing for us but in Oakland Amari was basically good....not great he had his moments

So for them it’s an upgrade I mean it’s antonio brown

Well Oakland is the Blackhole of the NFL. Did Randy Moss accomplish much there?

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Based on the second half of last season I wouldn’t trade the 24 year old Cooper straight up for the 31 year old AB. Plus one is a good team guy and the other is a cancer.

I won't repeat what I've said multiple times about Cooper and his "second half of season" play with us - a couple games inflated his stats and people overlook the rest.

If you want to talk about potential locker room cancer, that is fine. But simply talent and production, Cooper isn't there and will never be there.

32BellyOption

Reaction score
I won't repeat what I've said multiple times about Cooper and his "second half of season" play with us - a couple games inflated his stats and people overlook the rest.

If you want to talk about potential locker room cancer, that is fine. But simply talent and production, Cooper isn't there and will never be there.

Never is a long time. And AB surely has had a couple big games that inflated his stats as well. My point is moving forward AB’s game will surely decline. Especially not having a future HOF QB to throw it to him. And of course the age and fat new guaranteed contract will diminish his game as well. Cooper will be an All Pro for years to come. We can disagree and I guess we’ll have to wait and see how productive both are in coming seasons.

Reactions: CWR

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Never is a long time. And AB surely has had a couple big games that inflated his stats as well. My point is moving forward AB’s game will surely decline. Especially not having a future HOF QB to throw it to him. And of course the age and fat new guaranteed contract will diminish his game as well. Cooper will be an All Pro for years to come. We can disagree and I guess we’ll have to wait and see how productive both are in coming seasons.

AB is either consistently getting catches, yards, or TDs. AB last season had a TD in every game outside of 4 (he didn't play in week 17). In 2017 he had 7 100+ yard games and a 200+ yard game. In 2015 he had 9 100+ yard games and a near 300 yard game. In 2014 he had 7 100+ yard games.

This isn't inflating - the guy is consistently a reliable target that gets you yards and points. And Brown doesn't get on speed, he gets by on route running which can greatly prolong a career (see Larry Fitzgerald)

DasSchnitzel

Reaction score
AB might be better right now but if I'm giving up a 1st I'd rather give it to for the young guy.

Cooper looks like he is or will be a top receiver one day, and regardless Coop is a better commodity moving forward as he will be in his physical prime when AB will be fighting to delay retirement, if playing at all.

If I were in charge of a team that was only one WR away from a SB today, I'd probably pick AB. But Dallas isn't that close.

Oakland isn't close enough either and until now seemed to be an experiment in the ultimate blow up and rebuild through the draft. For that reason, giving up two picks for a WR that wont possibly carry the roster to a SB makes no sense to me. It looks like a stupid move to make fans excited if you ask me. Funny that so many in our fanbase are falling for it after Jerry did the same here multiple times.

hornitosmonster

Reaction score
AB is either consistently getting catches, yards, or TDs. AB last season had a TD in every game outside of 4 (he didn't play in week 17). In 2017 he had 7 100+ yard games and a 200+ yard game. In 2015 he had 9 100+ yard games and a near 300 yard game. In 2014 he had 7 100+ yard games.

This isn't inflating - the guy is consistently a reliable target that gets you yards and points. And Brown doesn't get on speed, he gets by on route running which can greatly prolong a career (see Larry Fitzgerald)
Let's see how he does with a QB considerably worse than Big Ben. Who made who?

jblaze2004

Reaction score
Lets not forget the steelers system pump out wr's that dont seem to fair as well out of that system. I like AB. But big ben and carr are two different qb's. Lets see how he do in the raiders system. How long before he call Carr out?

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Who made who...We shall see how Brown does without Big Ben. Which is the point you missed.

But that's not the point you're making....

How is team win/loss record supposedly the determining factor? So if Antonio Brown has 100+ receptions and 1,400 yards receiving and 10+ TDs and they miss the playoffs, that is somehow a knock on Brown?

JJHLH1

Reaction score
The Raiders are going to continue to struggle as long as Derek Carr is their QB. Antonio Brown’s numbers will go down next season.