Amari is low-key ripping Linehan

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
The biggest reason Linehan hasn't called more downfield routes is:

-Leads to sacks. Memo: We've had poor protection, leading the league in getting sacked
-Dak hasn't been confident throwing the ball deep... it was painfully evident in camp, pre-season and early in the year

Funny how folks want to criticize after the offense posted nearly 600 yards in offense.

If we can find a Sean McVay to run the offense, I'm all for an upgrade. But Linehan is far better than believed around these parts.

I want Linehan gone in the offseason, but this is getting out of hand. Dak is really good at throwing the stop route and average at best on the go-route. That he connected twice in this game is really really good for him, though I'd say the second throw was just a sky that floated for about a decade but that Amari adjusted great to.

There are plenty of warts on Linehan's offense, but he's also aware that this team struggles on that route. Even if we didn't, the league average is something like 28% (which is exactly where dak lies). So you can call it 4 times and only expect to hit it once.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
The biggest reason Linehan hasn't called more downfield routes is:

-Leads to sacks. Memo: We've had poor protection, leading the league in getting sacked
-Dak hasn't been confident throwing the ball deep... it was painfully evident in camp, pre-season and early in the year

Funny how folks want to criticize after the offense posted nearly 600 yards in offense.

If we can find a Sean McVay to run the offense, I'm all for an upgrade. But Linehan is far better than believed around these parts.

IDK man, there's a lot of hatred on here. McVay would only assuage some of it leaving more for "the next man up". At the end of the day, on here, Linnehan is taking it on the chin for Dak, coaching and the O-line. OR Dak is taking it on the chin for Linnehan, Garret and the O-line. So many combinations and permutations of hate. Amazing after 5 straight wins and a 3-5 record that now stands at 8-5 and playoffs in site. It will intensify in the playoffs

Last edited:

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I like what Cooper said. He did it anecdotally. Not ranting, raving, or overtly calling anyone out. Sometimes the subtle approach is best.

He's basically just not offering any cover for the play caller. That's fair in my book.

Though I do always wonder how we're supposed to hear about the reverse situations that you know happen all the time, as well. Where the QB or the WR didn't like the call and they changed things up and didn't convert as a result. Terrence Newman screwed Zimmer over doing that last year and it got out.

The players aren't going to own those with a mic in their face. And the coaches can't throw their players under the bus. TO used to do that crap all the time, and then get mad when somebody leaked that it was going on as if they were rats. Which, I guess they kind of were, but I don't have all that much sympathy for him when he's going off-book like that in the first place. If you're going to take the credit for it, you have to share the blame.

TimHortons

TheXFactor
Reaction score
Why is it so damn hard for this team to run a few play action bootlegs and sprint outs? Move the pocket a little instead of straight drop backs every time. Dak is actually quite accurate while on the move, plus it gives him the option to run. It's such a basic concept yet linecrap refuses to do it.

Last edited:

MRV52

rat2k8
Reaction score
Linehan I feel is holding Dak back, Give the reins to Dak and let him do as he pleases. We will be better in the long run than this fool calling Pop Warner plays.

T-RO

Reaction score
Why is it so damn hard for this team to run a few play action bootlegs and sprint outs? Move the pocket!! Dak is actually quite accurate while on the move, plus it gives him the option to run. It's such a basic concept yet linecrap refuses to do it.

Bootlegs shrink the field in half, which stacks defensive backs into a smaller part of the field.

If the QB does throw to the opposite side of the field he does so with grave danger - lots of pics and pick-sixes when Qbs do that.

Moving the pocket in other ways demands more on the QB as he has to calibrate distances and angles on the fly. Since Dak sometimes struggles with these calibrations to begin with I imagine the team wants to keep things more vanilla.

SoupcanSam

Reaction score
I'm sure that the Eagles were relying on their pressure to get to Dak before he could make the longer throws, and I'm sure Linehan was too. If the pressure had gotten there before Cooper could have won that route, we'd be complaining about how Dallas doesn't run quick routes to beat it.

Now, I do believe that we need to be more creative about what we're running instead of having Cooper do three stop routes in a row.

It wasnt that much pressure in the world in the eagles game. Linehan just sucks.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
It wasnt that much pressure in the world in the eagles game. Linehan just sucks.

As much as they suck, they still have a solid front four, and Bennett and Cox were giving our line all they could handle. You have a line that is giving up a lot of sacks and a quarterback who is taking them, then you are going to want to throw a lot of short passes. That doesn't mean you don't have any deep routes, but you've also got to have some shorter routes with players who can get open quickly. Cooper is one of those players, so we often run Gallup deep.

There's a lot I'm willing to criticize Linehan for, but having receivers running quick routes with the amount of sacks we're taking is not one of them. In fact, I've been critical of him for not doing that often enough.

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
It's not some big secret that a lot of our players are disgruntled with the offense.

Some of the homers on here defend it but it's not good enough and we're lucky the defense went next level because the offense stinks.

Homer, checking in here :)

I believe that I speak for all homers in saying we hate Linehan but love the offense. You can like this style of play and this offense but also hate the play calling (and play caller).

This offense is built to win in the playoffs and on the road. Amari showed it works, just turn the stop into a go and it’s payoff time.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
It would have to be a complete blowout.

Hope we do not see that.

Yeah, I'm not for that. I just believe that's what it would take at this point. It's unrealistic to think after a five-game winning streak that has us on top of the East that Jerry is going to fire anyone.

MizzouCowboy4

Reaction score
It's not some big secret that a lot of our players are disgruntled with the offense.

Some of the homers on here defend it but it's not good enough and we're lucky the defense went next level because the offense stinks.

At least Cooper has provided the big plays but my gosh we are awful in the redzone.

That's what we are though. We're a good defense / bad offense team.

Vikings fired there O.C. btw

links18

Reaction score
I am hard on Dak, but its obvious the scheme (or lack thereof) isn't helping him out much. Dak's strengths are throwing on the move and while he has to get better in the pocket, there is a stunning lack of plays that help maximize what he does best.

MizzouCowboy4

Reaction score
I am hard on Dak, but its obvious the scheme (or lack thereof) isn't helping him out much. Dak's strengths are throwing on the move and while he has to get better in the pocket, there is a stunning lack of plays that help maximize what he does best.

Dallas hardly uses Zeke for screens.

Bowdown27

Reaction score
I was saying that to few people. He’s been low key throwing him under the bus since he’s been here and rightfully so. At this point linehan is definitely gone. Garrett still up in the air. I think he stays

cern

Reaction score
He's basically just not offering any cover for the play caller. That's fair in my book.

Though I do always wonder how we're supposed to hear about the reverse situations that you know happen all the time, as well. Where the QB or the WR didn't like the call and they changed things up and didn't convert as a result. Terrence Newman screwed Zimmer over doing that last year and it got out.

The players aren't going to own those with a mic in their face. And the coaches can't throw their players under the bus. TO used to do that crap all the time, and then get mad when somebody leaked that it was going on as if they were rats. Which, I guess they kind of were, but I don't have all that much sympathy for him when he's going off-book like that in the first place. If you're going to take the credit for it, you have to share the blame.
Fair enough. Hopefully it will open a dialogue in the meeting room.

skinsscalper

Reaction score
Same **** as always. The offense was proficient when Romo ignored the crap play from the sideline and called an audible in the huddle or at the line. Now, that Dak and Amari are doing it, we're winning games. Go figure.

Cydios

Reaction score
Yeah I picked up on it. I was thinking the same thing. We only run 4 plays. Defenses know it.

Cydios

Reaction score
Found this on a QA Blogging the boys
Menace:
They are 13 games into the season, what’s going to get better? Are they waiting for Amari Cooper to get acclimated to the offense? No, he’s already responsible for five of the team’s eight total touchdowns over the last three games. And he’s doing this despite the play-calling, not because of it. If Cooper doesn’t override the play on the big touchdown catch, we could be talking about a completely different outcome.
Cooper doesn’t get mad and even though he was just “kind of mad” that’s probably a good indication that something’s wrong. Why does a guy who’s only been here for six games know which plays to run better than Scott Linehan? We watched Prescott throw the ball and hit the back of the corner once and then another time where Cooper had to try to catch the ball (he didn’t) as it breezed past the corner. Cooper is great at getting separation, but not if the defense knows what he’s doing. Even on the game-winning touchdown, Rasul Douglas knew what was coming and beat Cooper to the spot. How many people have to say the defense knows what’s coming for us to admit they have a problem?