News: AMC to Start Showing NFL Games in Movie Theaters. Good Idea or Nah?

bigdnlaca

Reaction score
I think it would work if it is 1 per household or list of friends and family to go along with that. Could be cheaper than those that go to a bar (especially if you can smuggle the food in).

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I could see it for some, if it was a Movie Tavern and they served beer and food. Still 10X cheaper than actually going to the game live.

My problem is if it is a close game I don't like any distractions. I want to watch the game and not be distracted.

The second Superbowl against Buffalo my fiancé threw a Superbowl party of about 15 people. There was a couple there rooting for Buffalo and would scream everytime Buffalo just picked up a 3 yard gain. I ended up in a back bedroom watching it on a 15 inch tube television with a six pack of beer by myself.
:laugh:

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I used to go to sports bars to catch the Cowboys games - of course, before NFL Sunday Ticket.
I liked the camaraderie, but only in small pockets.
I don't know if I'd like a theater with mass people because I like to hear what's being said on television, and when you get a lot of people, they like to talk, drowning out what's being said on television.
I can't imagine what it would be like in a theater.
Having said thus, I'd be down for the experience at least to try it out.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
https://www.fool.com/investing/2021/10/16/amc-to-show-nfl-games-on-big-screen/

"At 40 theaters across 25 markets, AMC will show one NFL game in each market that isn't available on local TV. The games will be free for fans to watch, but there's a catch -- you must join AMC Stubs, its membership service, and buy a $10 food and beverage gift card. The company is starting small with the initial rollout and could potentially expand it to more theaters if it likes the results."

Doesn't say when this would start but would you go?

Blimey. What a terrible idea.
But I am sure the theatres have done market research and they think it is viable.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
Could be fun. Like a watch party, without being at a crowded bar.

Reaction score
This is how far down movie-going has gone -- theaters are closing across the country and this is an attempt to utilize these large theater spaces for gatherings rather than movies.

That sounds about right. This wasn't a need looking for a solution, it was a solution looking for a need.

TheGoat73

Reaction score
https://www.fool.com/investing/2021/10/16/amc-to-show-nfl-games-on-big-screen/

"At 40 theaters across 25 markets, AMC will show one NFL game in each market that isn't available on local TV. The games will be free for fans to watch, but there's a catch -- you must join AMC Stubs, its membership service, and buy a $10 food and beverage gift card. The company is starting small with the initial rollout and could potentially expand it to more theaters if it likes the results."

Doesn't say when this would start but would you go?

The theater says I have to turn my phone off. How would I follow the cowboyszone.com chat? Deal breaker!!

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
Hell to the no……terrible atmosphere. I like to see what I’m eating too. Movies are so overrated and done, this is a reach to keep them going.

pansophy

Reaction score
That sounds about right. This wasn't a need looking for a solution, it was a solution looking for a need.
Absolutely right. If they start selling beer like a bar then it would be better than going to the local pub for games.

Dallas_Cowboys50

Reaction score
I watched the Mavericks playoff run to the Finals in 2006 at a theater, the WCF against the Spurs, place was packed and rowdy. Watched one Cowboys game, the season opener against the Bucs in 2009. It was a small locally owned theater called Denton Movie Tavern, had a buddy who worked there that let me know about it.

Walker

Texas Ranger
Reaction score
not a bad idea for some people, im all for more options to watch the game.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Good idea if it's a theater that has the full beer and food menu.

If I were in the home city, I'd rather go to the parties at the stadium or the local ones they host, but if the team isn't doing that, going to be easy to grow these for the away games.

Will require some hard marketing and recruiting to get it rolling if you're showing teams that aren't home teams. Good idea for teams that have large fan bases outside of their home market like us.