American football vs. European football and the World Cup (aka, soccer)

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Long post warning (mods, please change Title to VAR in the NFL)

In yesterday's game and against the Philadelphia Eagles a few weeks ago, Dak did a QB sneak in which, using the overhead angle, the replay officials could have clearly seen that the ball had broken the plane. Thus, the plays should have been a touchdown. For some reason, the NFL doesn't seem to realise that there are easier ways to help make sure a properly scored touchdown is awarded to the team that scored it.

So, why do I have European football and the World Cup in my title? Well, wonder no more! Let me take you back in time a bit to the Summer of 2010 in South Africa. Germany and England were playing in a Group of 16 match. For those that do not follow Euro football (aka soccer) or World Cup football, this is the stage after the group stage and is the first of the elimination rounds. Think of it like the Wild Card round of the playoffs. Germany was leading 2-0 when one of the England players fired a long range shot that hit the crossbar and landed in the goal before the keeper grabbed the ball and proceeded to throw it to a teammate. For clarification purposes, unlike in American Football where only part of the ball must break the plane in order for a touchdown to be awarded, the entire ball in association football must be beyond the goal line (does not have to hit the net) in order for a goal to be awarded. If any part of the ball is touching the white line, the goal is disallowed. However, in this case, the ball was clearly in for a goal. However, the ref did not realise this and did not award a goal for England. Germany would go on to win the match 4-1 before falling to the eventual World Cup Champion Spain that year in the Semi-final round. This caused great uproar from England because it was believed that this moment stole potential momentum away from England, which could have resulted in a different outcome.

After this match and because of the uproar (rightfully so), football began using VAR which is essentially similar to the review system in the NFL. The ref, who has an ear piece to listen and a microphone to speak to the referees in VAR and the refs upstairs in case something is missed, will use the jumbotron or has a booth like the NFL to review a play to see if a goal should be awarded, should a penalty shot be awarded, red cards, etc. Additionally, a chip was put into the ball to make it easier to determine if the ball has crossed the line completely. In that series in which the ball may have crossed, the VAR officials can quite literally make the ball invisible to mark where the ball's shadow was in reference to where it is and where the line is to see if a goal should be awarded. Now, there has been a bit of blowback because VAR can call things too tightly, but it goes by the letter of the law. For example, if a player reached slightly and the ball glances off his hand, it's an automatic handball, which happened to I believe Tottenham a few years ago. Caused a lot of uproar, but, by the letter of the law, it was correct even if the handball was unintentional. However, as it is going by the letter of the law in terms of what happens, it'd at least make sense since it's at least clearly a rule, and everyone can see what VAR is looking at.

So, why do I bring up association football on the main forum for a Cowboys thread? Because this system could help the NFL. Firstly, in a sport like American Football where the ball only has to break the plane to score, the NFL should put a similar chip into the ball to where the replay officials upstairs can see where the ball is in conjunction to where the goal line is. If the chip registers that the ball has indeed broken the plane, it's a touchdown period end of story. If it did not, no touchdown is awarded. This would prevent the TD situations with Dak between Philly and the third down play yesterday.

Also, I think VAR should be introduced to the NFL. In football, the coach can ask for VAR, but VAR pretty much is automatically checked in any critical situation regardless. The NFL's Replay system is a bit outdated imo. I think they should upgrade to a VAR system of their own. Yes, keep the coaches challenges, but use VAR to say, right, a touchdown was not awarded, but the system and chip are recording a TD, so let's check VAR. Ref watches the enormous jumbotron with everyone else, and they can see if it was indeed a Touchdown. If a Pass Interference situation is in question whether called or not, VAR! Check VAR to see if there was indeed PI or was there something that would indicate that it's tricky tacky. For example, a few weeks ago, the Browns and Chargers played. They called DPI on Grant Delpit. Problem was 1. Delpit had no part of that play, and 2. The WR and CB were hand fighting the entire way, and the rules analyst for CBS didn't think DPI should have been called. Thus, if VAR was around, they could look at VAR without a challenge from a coach and see that perhaps that wasn't DPI.

These are just a few ways that the NFL could fix the problems and make sure that the officiating is better. The officiating has been atrocious around the league, and not just with us, as stated. FIFA fixed the problem. It's time the NFL does too. We have technology. The NFL should use it like FIFA and the Premier League do.

Last edited:

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
USA was robbed against Germany in the 2002 World Cup for no VRE.

Haunts me still

Exactly, and had VAR been around, they could have changed the call. At least FIFA has been using this technology. The NFL still relies on some chap in New York watching different camera angles and hoping he sees the same thing. Oh, and it requires a coach to challenge unless a score or turnover has taken place or if it's under 2 minutes. VAR allows all sorts of angles to be looked at between the ball itself, the pitch itself, the angles from the goal (and they should have a camera on the goal post in the NFL where you can get a direct shot of the end zone), and all sorts of other ways. It's not perfect, but VAR is more effective than what the NFL is doing, and it can be used more often.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Oh, and another reason VAR makes sense in the NFL is because it is also usually quite quick. The longest during a football match I think I've seen it take is maybe 30-45 seconds. So, it speeds the game up a bit too.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
The chip/goal line technology is perfect for football.

Exactly! Its brilliantly made for American football too. I'm also thinking turnovers could use that too with a sensor to say when the ball has left the hand of a player. That way, if it registers that it's out of a running back's hand before the knee is down, the ball is therefore a fumble.

NeathBlue

Reaction score
VAR has become a disaster in the premier league… it has sucked the joy out of seeing your team score a goal because very often, you know there’s going to be a review that’ll take up a few minutes.
VAR is supposed to be used to reverse clear and obvious mistakes, but you get reviews where they take 5 minutes to decide because it’s so close… and even then they still don’t get it right.
Last season Mason Mount was deemed to be 2 millimetres offside against Liverpool, how the hell they allowed that is anyones guess…… the one thing you have to factor is that there is a split second between the two frames that the camera can’t show on a freeze frame.
Stay away from VAR!

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
VAR has become a disaster in the premier league… it has sucked the joy out of seeing your team score a goal because very often, you know there’s going to be a review that’ll take up a few minutes.
VAR is supposed to be used to reverse clear and obvious mistakes, but you get reviews where they take 5 minutes to decide because it’s so close… and even then they still don’t get it right.
Last season Mason Mount was deemed to be 2 millimetres offside against Liverpool, how the hell they allowed that is anyones guess…… the one thing you have to factor is that there is a split second between the two frames that the camera can’t show on a freeze frame.
Stay away from VAR!

I get that, but if there's a way to speed things up or at least have a chip in the ball would make things better for the NFL.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Long post warning (mods, please change Title to VAR in the NFL)

In yesterday's game and against the Philadelphia Eagles a few weeks ago, Dak did a QB sneak in which, using the overhead angle, the replay officials could have clearly seen that the ball had broken the plane. Thus, the plays should have been a touchdown. For some reason, the NFL doesn't seem to realise that there are easier ways to help make sure a properly scored touchdown is awarded to the team that scored it.

So, why do I have European football and the World Cup in my title? Well, wonder no more! Let me take you back in time a bit to the Summer of 2010 in South Africa. Germany and England were playing in a Group of 16 match. For those that do not follow Euro football (aka soccer) or World Cup football, this is the stage after the group stage and is the first of the elimination rounds. Think of it like the Wild Card round of the playoffs. Germany was leading 2-0 when one of the England players fired a long range shot that hit the crossbar and landed in the goal before the keeper grabbed the ball and proceeded to throw it to a teammate. For clarification purposes, unlike in American Football where only part of the ball must break the plane in order for a touchdown to be awarded, the entire ball in association football must be beyond the goal line (does not have to hit the net) in order for a goal to be awarded. If any part of the ball is touching the white line, the goal is disallowed. However, in this case, the ball was clearly in for a goal. However, the ref did not realise this and did not award a goal for England. Germany would go on to win the match 4-1 before falling to the eventual World Cup Champion Spain that year in the Semi-final round. This caused great uproar from England because it was believed that this moment stole potential momentum away from England, which could have resulted in a different outcome.

After this match and because of the uproar (rightfully so), football began using VAR which is essentially similar to the review system in the NFL. The ref, who has an ear piece to listen and a microphone to speak to the referees in VAR and the refs upstairs in case something is missed, will use the jumbotron or has a booth like the NFL to review a play to see if a goal should be awarded, should a penalty shot be awarded, red cards, etc. Additionally, a chip was put into the ball to make it easier to determine if the ball has crossed the line completely. In that series in which the ball may have crossed, the VAR officials can quite literally make the ball invisible to mark where the ball's shadow was in reference to where it is and where the line is to see if a goal should be awarded. Now, there has been a bit of blowback because VAR can call things too tightly, but it goes by the letter of the law. For example, if a player reached slightly and the ball glances off his hand, it's an automatic handball, which happened to I believe Tottenham a few years ago. Caused a lot of uproar, but, by the letter of the law, it was correct even if the handball was unintentional. However, as it is going by the letter of the law in terms of what happens, it'd at least make sense since it's at least clearly a rule, and everyone can see what VAR is looking at.

So, why do I bring up association football on the main forum for a Cowboys thread? Because this system could help the NFL. Firstly, in a sport like American Football where the ball only has to break the plane to score, the NFL should put a similar chip into the ball to where the replay officials upstairs can see where the ball is in conjunction to where the goal line is. If the chip registers that the ball has indeed broken the plane, it's a touchdown period end of story. If it did not, no touchdown is awarded. This would prevent the TD situations with Dak between Philly and the third down play yesterday.

Also, I think VAR should be introduced to the NFL. In football, the coach can ask for VAR, but VAR pretty much is automatically checked in any critical situation regardless. The NFL's Replay system is a bit outdated imo. I think they should upgrade to a VAR system of their own. Yes, keep the coaches challenges, but use VAR to say, right, a touchdown was not awarded, but the system and chip are recording a TD, so let's check VAR. Ref watches the enormous jumbotron with everyone else, and they can see if it was indeed a Touchdown. If a Pass Interference situation is in question whether called or not, VAR! Check VAR to see if there was indeed PI or was there something that would indicate that it's tricky tacky. For example, a few weeks ago, the Browns and Chargers played. They called DPI on Grant Delpit. Problem was 1. Delpit had no part of that play, and 2. The WR and CB were hand fighting the entire way, and the rules analyst for CBS didn't think DPI should have been called. Thus, if VAR was around, they could look at VAR without a challenge from a coach and see that perhaps that wasn't DPI.

These are just a few ways that the NFL could fix the problems and make sure that the officiating is better. The officiating has been atrocious around the league, and not just with us, as stated. FIFA fixed the problem. It's time the NFL does too. We have technology. The NFL should use it like FIFA and the Premier League do.
Love soccer but you’re not going to get much interest in the middle of the NFL season when the Cowboys are 5-1 and posting on a Cowboys forum.

Flamma

Reaction score

I agree with you for the most part. It's a good thing to consider. But the chip is only going to be useful if you know the players knee isn't down. In that mass of bodies you can't just go by the chip. The QB could be down or his forward progress stopped before he put the ball over the GL.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I agree with you for the most part. It's a good thing to consider. But the chip is only going to be useful if you know the players knee isn't down. In that mass of bodies you can't just go by the chip. The QB could be down or his forward progress stopped before he put the ball over the GL.

True with that.