An Argument In Zeke's Favor For A New Contract

PhillySpecial

Reaction score
It looks like Cowboys fans are divided on whether to sign Zeke now, later, or let him walk after the 2nd franchise tag.

But what about Zeke's perspective?

Zeke and the O-Line have been the heart and soul of the offense for 3 years. Probably among the top reasons for the Cowboys winning games. Along comes Amari Cooper who has played all of 11 games and is probably going to get signed for the going rate of WRs. I'm guessing between $16 -$18 million per year AAV. Zeke probably touches the ball at least 2 - 2 1/2 times more per game than Cooper. Probably makes things easier for Cooper by Zeke demanding more of the D's attention.

I know Cooper is in the last year of his contract. But, Zeke is eligible to have his contract renewed.

If you were Zeke:
How would you feel if an 11 game participant received a lucrative deal and you had to wait until next year, or the year after? Or play under a FT or 2 to get your guaranteed money? All the while accepting the injury risk. Hoping you don't sustain an injury that will effect your future earning potential.

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
Disagree Zeke has the leverage. He is not a FA. He is under contract which means if he were to hold out it then it would be at a significant cost ($32k per day?). If he was a FA then holding out for a new contract would be a completely different scenario.

It makes sense for Cooper to be done first to create cap space and then Dak. Zeke should be done next year when it is his turn for a new contract.

Last edited:

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Zeke has leverage because this team is going nowhere without him. I don't think he would do anything until next season. Best to get him signed. Cooper should have already been signed.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
It looks like Cowboys fans are divided on whether to sign Zeke now, later, or let him walk after the 2nd franchise tag.

Zeke and the O-Line have been the heart and soul of the offense for 3 years. Probably among the top reasons for the Cowboys winning games. Along comes Amari Cooper who has played all of 11 games and is probably going to get signed for the going rate of WRs. I'm guessing between $16 -$18 million per year AAV. Zeke probably touches the ball at least 2 - 2 1/2 times more per game than Cooper. Probably makes things easier for Cooper by Zeke demanding more of the D's attention.

I know Cooper is in the last year of his contract. But, Zeke is eligible to have his contract renewed.

If you were Zeke:
How would you feel if an 11 game participant received a lucrative deal and you had to wait until next year, or the year after? Or play under a FT or 2 to get your guaranteed money? All the while accepting the injury risk. Hoping you don't sustain an injury that will effect your future earning potential.

Question? How could a team not sign it's best player? It was said that Emmitt was a generational RB. It's a new generation with an old generation mentality. Tote the rock and other teams are starting to follow. Sure, let's be like them and learn from us :)

JReed1000

Reaction score
Believe me...if Zeke hits the market after this year he'll have a BOATLOAD of money thrown his way. Probably by a team in our division. If Zeke shows up in another uniform you best believe he would make it his business to crush us.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
If not suspended he would have led the league in rushing his sophomore year with the Cowboys. Since coming to the league he has been the best running back. Even when teams stack the line to stop him.

That is argument enough.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score

If you were Zeke:

My thoughts, for what it's worth, Zeke has a "win first mentality" and he knows what Cooper brought to this team. He knows Coopers value and his own. I'm sure he'll tweet "congrats to the li'l dog from the big dog" and play like he always plays in 2019, to win!

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
Believe me...if Zeke hits the market after this year he'll have a BOATLOAD of money thrown his way. Probably by a team in our division. If Zeke shows up in another uniform you best believe he would make it his business to crush us.

Zeke is under contract next year. Zeke can hold out 2 years from now or deal with the significant fines.

PhillySpecial

Reaction score
My thoughts, for what it's worth, Zeke has a "win first mentality" and he knows what Cooper brought to this team. He knows Coopers value and his own. I'm sure he'll tweet "congrats to the li'l dog from the big dog" and play like he always plays in 2019, to win!

He wouldn't have a beef with Cooper for Cooper getting paid. And I agree he probably would be happy for Cooper.

Considering what Zeke has meant to the team winning over the last 3 years:
Do you think he might feel disrespected by the FO if Cooper gets a significant contract, and Zeke has to wait a year or 2 down the road for his?

Do you think it would be disrespectful if the Cowboys give Cooper a new deal and make Zeke wait?

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
He wouldn't have a beef with Cooper for Cooper getting paid. And I agree he probably would be happy for Cooper.

Considering what Zeke has meant to the team winning over the last 3 years:
Do you think he might feel disrespected by the FO if Cooper gets a significant contract, and Zeke has to wait a year or 2 down the road for his?

Do you think it would be disrespectful if the Cowboys give Cooper a new deal and make Zeke wait?

To the second question, no, not disrespectful at all. To the first, I really don't know how Zeke will feel about it. I don't know how I would feel either but I don't mind sharing

ItzKelz

Reaction score

If you were Zeke:
To be honest I only care if Zeke plays next season. When he gets a pay increase for his services is a non issue for me.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

If you were Zeke:

If I'm a free agent in 2021, I would NOT be concerned about a teammate that is a free agent in 2020.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Players holding out while under a contract is not the usual. If he gets tagged or even since they've picked up his option for next season and decides to no show on that is considered different that reneging on a contract, his word.

They took him with the 4th pick and he was paid commensurately with that slot. He is not deserving of a contract while this one is in force, I don't care about the longevity of that position, he chose it. Some RB's change because of the $ and longevity of a WR position.

And dumb or not, I am not in favor of paying a RB 15M a season. And teams that do sure better have affordable players at QB and WR and DE and damned good players.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Are there really people that don't think the team should keep Zeke? That's dumb

I think anyone dead set on taking a great cap hit for a RB is dumb. I expect Zeke to push for a second contract sooner rather than later, and I expect, since everyone blows smoke up his butt (including the front office), he'll want to be the highest paid RB in the league.

The simple fact that it looks like he lost some speed already is not good.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I wouldn't mind letting Cooper, Prescott and Elliott play out their contracts and lets see where the value falls. Has anyone got any information on teams with early extensions and the production levels of those players vs playing for a contract? I rather like the idea of watching the triplets play for contracts. I am assuming if Elliott does well, he would hold out instead of playing that option year. Personally, I'd like it if they did away with that and the tag, sign your guy or let him look around.

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't understand why some fans are in a hurry to pay a player under contract for 5 years (with option) after only 3. I agree he's our greatest offensive threat, but why rush the renewal?

Prime21

Reaction score
How good will Zeke be after 800 touches over the next two seasons? Will he be able to carry the load after that?

If Pollard does turn into the Kamara type back we hope, will Zeke be worth the money in a split backfield?

Tough to pay RBs.

PhillySpecial

Reaction score
I wouldn't mind letting Cooper, Prescott and Elliott play out their contracts and lets see where the value falls. Has anyone got any information on teams with early extensions and the production levels of those players vs playing for a contract? I rather like the idea of watching the triplets play for contracts. I am assuming if Elliott does well, he would hold out instead of playing that option year. Personally, I'd like it if they did away with that and the tag, sign your guy or let him look around.

When Joe Banner was with the Eagles, players would take a little less money to transfer the injury risk to the team.

If a player plays through the last year of his contract, he's assumed all the injury risk to get to the end of that contract. And has good reason to not re-sign right away and instead test FA for the best deal he can get. Joe Banner would identify players he wanted to sign to 2nd contracts and sign them to an extension. The extension didn't wipe out the last year of their contract. It's just that the new contract wouldn't start until the old one was fulfilled. Players still were entitled to the guaranteed money of the new contract before the expiration of the old one. And they were willing to take less money for the guaranteed money.