An Honest Question About Dak

Status
Not open for further replies.

817Gill

Reaction score
I would like to ask the forum why we as an NFL treat Dak so different from any other young QB. The easy answer is he’s the Cowboys QB, but let’s dive in a little more.

Dak just finished up year 3. His biggest criticisms are:

-Inconsistent with decision making and accuracy.
-Issues with pocket awareness.
-“Game Manager”

Here are his first 3 years:

Dak Prescott- 975 completions on 1,475 attempts for a 66% completion percentage and about 3,625 passing yards a season. He’s averaged 23 TD passes and 8 interceptions. His YPA for his career is 7.4

Let’s look at 3 other quarterbacks in their first 3 years

Russell Wilson - 794 completions on 1,252 attempts for a 63.33 completion percentage for about 3,316 passing yards a season. Over those years he averaged 24 TD passes and about 8 interceptions. His YPA in those 3 years was 7.8

Big Ben - 644 completions on 1,032 attempts for a 62 % completion percentage and about 2,840 yards passing a season. He averaged about 17 TD passes and 14 interceptions. His YPA those years was 8.4

Tom Brady - 954 completions on 1,541 attempts for a 62% completion rate and about 3,409 yards passing a season. He averaged about 23 TD passes and 13 interceptions. His YPA was 6.7

Dak arguably has performed the best statistically of all these teams with worse coaching and worse players (remember these are all Super Bowl teams within those first 3 years of those guys careers).

I hear so much talk on this forum about how much better Romo was and they back it up with stats and highlights from when Romo already had years of experience and reps.

Dak is only in year 3. While the other QB’s mentioned above were given some of the same criticisms, they also were given time to grow.

-R. Wilson was a game manager who routinely sailed fastballs over WR’s heads.
-It took Tom Brady 5 years to shake off his rep as a game manager with an all time great HC.
-Big Ben barely got to throw the ball this first few years.

Why do most other QB’s get a chance to improve while Dak is supposed to be at peak potential right away?

Is it because Dak’s lows are aesthetically unpleasant while his highs don’t look that sexy either? Is it the color of his skin? Is it the 2016 season that spoiled us all?

Dak has obviously made strides in improvement this season once he got a semblance of a WR/TE group.
Why do most fans shut the door on any more improvement from him? Why do we give Jared Goff a pass for bad QB coaching but Dak doesn’t? Help me understand why we as a fanbase refuse to give Dak the same leash as everyone else. All these QB’s were limited in their first few years, let’s let the growth process complete before we make a definitive judgment.

Last edited:

pansophy

Reaction score
I would like to ask the forum why we as an NFL treat Dak so different from any other young QB. The easy answer is he’s the Cowboys QB, but let’s dive in a little more.

-“Game Manager”

Dak Prescott- 975 completions on 1,475 attempts for a 66% completion percentage and about 3,625 passing yards a season. He’s averaged 23 TD passes and 8 interceptions. His YPA for his career is 7.4

Russell Wilson - 794 completions on 1,252 attempts for a 63.33 completion percentage for about 3,316 passing yards a season. Over those years he averaged 24 TD passes and about 8 interceptions. His YPA in those 3 years was 7.8

Big Ben - 644 completions on 1,032 attempts for a 62 % completion percentage and about 2,840 yards passing a season. He averaged about 17 TD passes and 14 interceptions. His YPA those years was 8.4

Tom Brady - 954 completions on 1,541 attempts for a 62% completion rate and about 3,409 yards passing a season. He averaged about 23 TD passes and 13 interceptions. His YPA was 6.7

Dak arguably has performed the best statistically of all these teams with worse coaching and worse players (remember these are all Super Bowl teams within those first 3 years of those guys careers).

I hear so much talk on this forum about how much better Romo was and they back it up with stats and highlights from when Romo already had years of experience and reps.

Dak is only in year 3. While the other QB’s mentioned above were given some of the same criticisms, they also were given time to grow.

-It took Tom Brady 5 years to shake off his rep as a game manager with an all time great HC.

Why do most other QB’s get a chance to improve while Dak is supposed to be at peak potential right away?

Is it because Dak’s lows are aesthetically unpleasant while his highs don’t look that sexy either? Is it the color of his skin? Is it the 2016 season that spoiled us all?

Dak has obviously made strides in improvement this season once he got a semblance of a WR/TE group.
Why do most fans shut the door on any more improvement from him? Why do we give Jared Goff a pass for bad QB coaching but Dak doesn’t? Help me understand why we as a fanbase refuse to give Dak the same leash as everyone else. All these QB’s were limited in their first few years, let’s let the growth process complete before we make a definitive judgment.
You can't compare Dak's numbers to anyone who came into the league earlier than him. Rule changes have made it easier than ever to throw the ball and so really Dak should have better numbers than them. You could look at those guys by rankings when they came into the league which would control for those differences.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dak needs a revamped offense with better coaching to maximize his skill set. Dak plays in THE most plain vanilla, unimaginative and predictable offense in the NFL.

Change in the offense by bringing in a better OC who can coach up a young QB is IMO, this team’s biggest off season need.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I
Nobody really says this.

And the problems always arise when people do stuff like compare him to quarterbacks who are a) far better right now and b) played their first 3 seasons years ago. 4,300 yards in today's NFL is NOTHING.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

-“Game Manager”

Look at the QBs you mentioned. In Wilson's first 3 years the Seahawks got to the Super Bowl twice and won once. In Ben's 2nd season the Steelers won the Super Bowl. In Brady's first 3 years as the starter, the Pats won the Super Bowl twice. So, no there is no argument that Dak outperformed those "teams" that had Wilson, Ben and Brady at QB.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score

-“Game Manager”

I think you left off a huge thing about DAK..

he took a HUGE number of sacks.

He killed a ton of points and wins with this problem.

Until he learns to take care of the ball at the professional level..

we are all stuck with DAK.

If he throws one more pass to the other teams LBer and it bounces to the ground becuz the opposing player is shocked it hit him..

I am going to strangle him.

He had one in every game it seemed coming down the stretch and any of them could have ended the game for all intents and purposes.

Remember the TD to Cooper against the Eagles that won the game.?

Even that pass should have been intercepted but didn't.

I once was very high on DAK..

but I have tempered it for now.

InTheZone

Reaction score
#1 way to get me to not pay attention is to mention completion percentage. That is such a skewed stat based on how often he throws check downs, regardless of down and distance. Dak has more support around him than those other QBs, I'm not hearing it

droopdog7

Reaction score
Well, you're right about one thing. The Dallas Cowboys are under the microscope more than any other team. Everything is magnified.

As for Dak, he still needs to improve in some facets. His arm talent is fairly average. But I'm rooting for him. At some point he will either completely break through or he will bust out. Looking forward to seeing which one it is.

jwooten15

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I'm now on board with Dak, but he is not a comparable QB to Wilson or Big Ben. Not by any stretch of the imagination.

The league is not the same as when those guys broke in. Yes, even from Wilson's rookie year to now, the league is vastly different.

But he can/will be a good QB. Dak showed a lot of progress the latter half of this season. So, I'm hoping the needle keeps pointing up

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Big Ben was a late bloomer and he turned out pretty well. I forgot about how much people said he sucked early in his career, nice find...

Qcard

Reaction score
Nobody really says this.

And the problems always arise when people do stuff like compare him to quarterbacks who are a) far better right now and b) played their first 3 seasons years ago. 4,300 yards in today's NFL is NOTHING.
Also Wilson and Ben had OC whom catered offense to QB..
Linehan and his crew tried to fit Dak into a old testament offense with lesser talent prior to Amari

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score

-“Game Manager”

I have said from the get go on what i think alot of the hate for Dak comes from. And i really think it has nothing to do with football. But ill leave it at that and i ope nobody goes into a debate about it because we will get benched lol. Ill discuss my view on this with anybody who wants in pm.

I just think alot of people think you have to be drafted high to be acceptable or you ave to be the QB they wanted. Everybody wanted Wentz or Goff. Wentz is a guy who is outplayed by his backup. And Goff is strctly a system QB. Which everybody with any football knowledge said during the draft process. Hell you saw it this past saturday. When Goff was forced to go thru read progressions he was horrible. Dallas went zone and all of the sudden Goff had the inside routes open. The Rams system had two types of plays. A run up the gut if Dallas shifted to the bunched Wr side. Or a in route if Dallas stayed in its base. Of ourse you have to have the players to make the plays. And they did. Dallas was just off balance with the presnap movement and misdirections on the snap.

Why do you think Philly and LA get the LOS so fast? Because the coach can speak to him until there are 15 seconds left on the play clock. The coach is walking him thru the defenses set. Moreso with Rams. Philly slowed down once Foles was in and i think thats why they have more success because Foles can read a defense better than Wentz. Dak has had to learn the pro system. He's had to make the adjustments because of type of offense the Boys run.

We saw Wentz and Goff in when they didnt have a coaching holding their hand presnap and it was really bad.

pansophy

Reaction score
You can't compare Dak's numbers to anyone who came into the league earlier than him. Rule changes have made it easier than ever to throw the ball and so really Dak should have better numbers than them. You could look at those guys by rankings when they came into the league which would control for those differences.
For example, Seattle's Offensive Points/Game were 9th, 8th, and 10th Russel Wilson's first 3 seasons compared to 5th, 14th, and 22nd for Dak.

Silver N Blue

Reaction score

-“Game Manager”
The top three have been his knock since college and the write up you saw most with scout reviews. He's had more than enough time to improve and prove he can take the next step. Hasn't happened yet and not sure it will. At this point he is what he has shown.

Blackrain

Reaction score

-“Game Manager”

I don't think its the NFL just a bunch of fools on this forum that either made bold negative predictions about him and feel compelled to defend them or Butt hurt Romo fans that just cant get past him taking there heros job .

The easy thing to do here is watch Dak improve and prove people wrong as he dose on a weekly basis . Don't respond to the fools that bash him although easier said than done sometimes . Then there is the wonderful IGNORE feature to remove hate and ignorance from your Cowboy fan experience .

Real Cowboy fans are enjoying watching Dak mature but don't feel the need to shout it from the house tops . His Stats and records speak for themselves . The young bucks needing instant gratification don't have the patients for this maturation process and just want to whine and lament while comparing him to finished products that are well coached . They are the squeaking wheels needing to bring attention to there agenda .

It will all play out in Due Time

ClintDagger

Reaction score
There is no conspiracy against Dak. Smart people with no allegiances or ill will towards the Cowboys look at his film and judge him fairly. He lacks elite arm talent, he too often doesn’t make the optimal read, and he lacks pocket awareness. He has positives too. And when you judge him on his production then extrapolate all of that out it looks like to those who get paid to analyze this stuff that he’s never going to be elite. Does that mean he can’t overcome the odds? No. And I sincerely hope he does. But odds are we will look back at Dak’s career and judge him as “serviceable” and not much more than that. So the question becomes is serviceable really what you want at the most important position in the league? You don’t have much of a choice for now. But it should be factored in when it comes time to make an investment in Dak.

Status
Not open for further replies.