An Honest Question About Dak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Dak is a solid QB, don`t think he`ll ever be a top tier QB in the league but we can win with him with great teams and coaching around him a la Alex Smith.

I'd say that's a pretty fair analogy, unfortunately.

Reactions: Coy

The Realist

Reaction score
The thing about Dak is he’s putting up all those numbers as Dak.

If Dak was doing this on another team the people who are Dak haters would be trying to figure out how to get him. If for instance he was doing this behind an injured Wentz they would give up a 2 without blinking. They be mad initially if we gave up a 1, but would quickly change their minds just like people did with Cooper.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I would like to ask the forum why we as an NFL treat Dak so different from any other young QB. The easy answer is he’s the Cowboys QB, but let’s dive in a little more.

Dak just finished up year 3. His biggest criticisms are:

-Inconsistent with decision making and accuracy.
-Issues with pocket awareness.
-“Game Manager”

Here are his first 3 years:

Dak Prescott- 975 completions on 1,475 attempts for a 66% completion percentage and about 3,625 passing yards a season. He’s averaged 23 TD passes and 8 interceptions. His YPA for his career is 7.4

Let’s look at 3 other quarterbacks in their first 3 years

Russell Wilson - 794 completions on 1,252 attempts for a 63.33 completion percentage for about 3,316 passing yards a season. Over those years he averaged 24 TD passes and about 8 interceptions. His YPA in those 3 years was 7.8

Big Ben - 644 completions on 1,032 attempts for a 62 % completion percentage and about 2,840 yards passing a season. He averaged about 17 TD passes and 14 interceptions. His YPA those years was 8.4

Tom Brady - 954 completions on 1,541 attempts for a 62% completion rate and about 3,409 yards passing a season. He averaged about 23 TD passes and 13 interceptions. His YPA was 6.7

Dak arguably has performed the best statistically of all these teams with worse coaching and worse players (remember these are all Super Bowl teams within those first 3 years of those guys careers).

I hear so much talk on this forum about how much better Romo was and they back it up with stats and highlights from when Romo already had years of experience and reps.

Dak is only in year 3. While the other QB’s mentioned above were given some of the same criticisms, they also were given time to grow.

-R. Wilson was a game manager who routinely sailed fastballs over WR’s heads.
-It took Tom Brady 5 years to shake off his rep as a game manager with an all time great HC.
-Big Ben barely got to throw the ball this first few years.

Why do most other QB’s get a chance to improve while Dak is supposed to be at peak potential right away?

Is it because Dak’s lows are aesthetically unpleasant while his highs don’t look that sexy either? Is it the color of his skin? Is it the 2016 season that spoiled us all?

Dak has obviously made strides in improvement this season once he got a semblance of a WR/TE group.
Why do most fans shut the door on any more improvement from him? Why do we give Jared Goff a pass for bad QB coaching but Dak doesn’t? Help me understand why we as a fanbase refuse to give Dak the same leash as everyone else. All these QB’s were limited in their first few years, let’s let the growth process complete before we make a definitive judgment.
the problem with dak for fans , is he is hot and cold almost every game.
by that I mean, at times he looks like a great qb, but at other times, sometimes good portion of the game, he looks like
the worst qb in the league.

He was like this in the ram playoff game, after the first drive, he started playing badly, passes way off target, bad decisions,
then later gets hot drives for another td, then goes cold till the last drive for td and 2 points.

The fans that are already critical of him will mainly remember the cold dak.

I know dak plays really bad at times, but I also know he plays for some mickey mouse coaches and clapper, in a really bad system,
so I cut him some slack.

Had our coaches, ( if the jones boys would let them) had come out in rams game and ran a lot of read option, and hurry up offense,
cowboys could have won that game.
No team has ever been able to stop cowboys when they did those 2 things at same time, but our coaches wont use those,
or the jones boys wont let them cause they dont want dak running more than 2-3 times a game.

Dak has been at his best running read option offense, but the coaches are trying to make him a pocket passer.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
by that I mean, at times he looks like a great qb, but at other times, sometimes good portion of the game, he looks like

He was like this in the ram playoff game, after the first drive, he started playing badly, passes way off target, bad decisions,
then later gets hot drives for another td, then goes cold till the last drive for td and 2 points.

I know dak plays really bad at times, but I also know he plays for some mickey mouse coaches and clapper, in a really bad system,
so I cut him some slack.

Had our coaches, ( if the jones boys would let them) had come out in rams game and ran a lot of read option, and hurry up offense,
No team has ever been able to stop cowboys when they did those 2 things at same time, but our coaches wont use those,
or the jones boys wont let them cause they dont want dak running more than 2-3 times a game.

Dak has been at his best running read option offense, but the coaches are trying to make him a pocket passer.
Bold is the main problem and when you say he's a 50/50 qb aka avg folks want to hit you with these bogus non context numbers that look good. It's like folks don't watch the games anymore just highlights and stats. If he played more often like the good Dak you spoke of he wouldn't be so polarizing. He plays 50/50 so he's polarizing but people think it's about hate. That's just lazy it's about him playing 50/50 dang near every game like you said. I've saw it in game threads where he can play like two bad quarters then do a good few plays and some forget all the bad plays. That's just not a way to be long term successful. That can work in the regular season but usually as the teams improve in the playoffs that stuff will get you put out. It's not all his fault like last game was mainly on the D but I don't think he is above reproach.

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
I would like to ask the forum why we as an NFL treat Dak so different from any other young QB. The easy answer is he’s the Cowboys QB, but let’s dive in a little more.

-“Game Manager”

Dak Prescott- 975 completions on 1,475 attempts for a 66% completion percentage and about 3,625 passing yards a season. He’s averaged 23 TD passes and 8 interceptions. His YPA for his career is 7.4

Russell Wilson - 794 completions on 1,252 attempts for a 63.33 completion percentage for about 3,316 passing yards a season. Over those years he averaged 24 TD passes and about 8 interceptions. His YPA in those 3 years was 7.8

Big Ben - 644 completions on 1,032 attempts for a 62 % completion percentage and about 2,840 yards passing a season. He averaged about 17 TD passes and 14 interceptions. His YPA those years was 8.4

Tom Brady - 954 completions on 1,541 attempts for a 62% completion rate and about 3,409 yards passing a season. He averaged about 23 TD passes and 13 interceptions. His YPA was 6.7

Dak arguably has performed the best statistically of all these teams with worse coaching and worse players (remember these are all Super Bowl teams within those first 3 years of those guys careers).

I hear so much talk on this forum about how much better Romo was and they back it up with stats and highlights from when Romo already had years of experience and reps.

Dak is only in year 3. While the other QB’s mentioned above were given some of the same criticisms, they also were given time to grow.

-It took Tom Brady 5 years to shake off his rep as a game manager with an all time great HC.

Why do most other QB’s get a chance to improve while Dak is supposed to be at peak potential right away?

Is it because Dak’s lows are aesthetically unpleasant while his highs don’t look that sexy either? Is it the color of his skin? Is it the 2016 season that spoiled us all?

Dak has obviously made strides in improvement this season once he got a semblance of a WR/TE group.
Why do most fans shut the door on any more improvement from him? Why do we give Jared Goff a pass for bad QB coaching but Dak doesn’t? Help me understand why we as a fanbase refuse to give Dak the same leash as everyone else. All these QB’s were limited in their first few years, let’s let the growth process complete before we make a definitive judgment.

-“Game Manager”

I just think the guy can’t throw he looks like Ryan tannehill or Tebow or Donavan mcnabb. It’s sucks. We’re coming fresh off 8 years of some of the prettiest football throwing I’ve ever seen. Idk

817Gill

Reaction score
I just think the guy can’t throw he looks like Ryan tannehill or Tebow or Donavan mcnabb. It’s sucks. We’re coming fresh off 8 years of some of the prettiest football throwing I’ve ever seen. Idk
Yeah I touched on that in the post I think since he plays such an un-sexy style of ball contrast from Tony’s magic so people just give him a harder time.

I do think he plays kinda ugly but I’m willing to look past that and look at results and effectiveness. Again if you look at the tweet I posted right after you see Dak’s 16 game season with a Wr corps he’s a top 10 guy. Ugly or pretty I’ll take top 10 every year.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Bold is the main problem and when you say he's a 50/50 qb aka avg folks want to hit you with these bogus non context numbers that look good. It's like folks don't watch the games anymore just highlights and stats. If he played more often like the good Dak you spoke of he wouldn't be so polarizing. He plays 50/50 so he's polarizing but people think it's about hate. That's just lazy it's about him playing 50/50 dang near every game like you said. I've saw it in game threads where he can play like two bad quarters then do a good few plays and some forget all the bad plays. That's just not a way to be long term successful. That can work in the regular season but usually as the teams improve in the playoffs that stuff will get you put out. It's not all his fault like last game was mainly on the D but I don't think he is above reproach.
Well ask yourself what is the reason why he is hot and cold?? it doesnt make sense, until you look at the coaching and play calling.
I will give an example.
Dak doesnt do well when is gets a lot of pressure in pocket.
What do the cowboy coaches do to alleviate the pressure or come up with a solution to the pressure/ pass rush??
They do not do much except call occasional screen play.

NE and some other teams come up with offense that allows for quick release by qb, 3 seconds to throw tops.
This negates any pass rush, even all out blitz.
Brady uses it and almost always throws short passes, but he always has someone open, crossing routes and others.

Dallas coaches do not implement this even though it is common knowledge in NFL.

So how much better would dak preform if he ran a offense like NE has that eliminates pass rush pressure from the equation.??
That and a heavy dose of read option and hurry up, and our offense would be twice as good as it is.

I could also point out some flawed pass and run blocking schemes dallas uses over and over that allows sacks, and elliot to be tackled in
backfield, it is just flawed blocking schemes, not execution.

Most of Dallas offense problems could be solved by better coaching, play design, play calling, and game planning.

When those things are flawed, you wind up with poor qb play, and elliot only getting 47 yards, a 2.3 avg in the div round playoff game.

Dre11

Reaction score

so I cut him some slack.

Lol...you just described nearly every young developing qb that comes into the league but for some reason you haters won't give the dude that benefit that you give Geoff and Wentz.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
Well ask yourself what is the reason why he is hot and cold?? it doesnt make sense, until you look at the coaching and play calling.
I will give an example.
Dak doesnt do well when is gets a lot of pressure in pocket.
What do the cowboy coaches do to alleviate the pressure or come up with a solution to the pressure/ pass rush??
They do not do much except call occasional screen play.

NE and some other teams come up with offense that allows for quick release by qb, 3 seconds to throw tops.
This negates any pass rush, even all out blitz.
Brady uses it and almost always throws short passes, but he always has someone open, crossing routes and others.

Dallas coaches do not implement this even though it is common knowledge in NFL.

So how much better would dak preform if he ran a offense like NE has that eliminates pass rush pressure from the equation.??
That and a heavy dose of read option and hurry up, and our offense would be twice as good as it is.

I could also point out some flawed pass and run blocking schemes dallas uses over and over that allows sacks, and elliot to be tackled in
backfield, it is just flawed blocking schemes, not execution.

Most of Dallas offense problems could be solved by better coaching, play design, play calling, and game planning.

When those things are flawed, you wind up with poor qb play, and elliot only getting 47 yards, a 2.3 avg in the div round playoff game.
I'm all for a new HC and OC that people respect so once and for all we can know if it's them or him. I'm down for that but as a passer I'm not sure how good a Cam Newton style qb could be. I could be wrong on that front and they don't have OC tailoring to their skill sets. I'll definitely concede that. Hopefully it happens soon to end this Dak civil war one way or another.

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
Would it help to compare to Wentz and Goff?

What does that look like or why is that also a bad comparison?

How to we compare players? Is that now impossible because the game has changed so much?
What is the proper amount of time between starts of careers to fairly compare?

Dak = Wentz. Goff > Dak and Wentz. That is how I see it at this point.

Them

Reaction score
I don't hate Dak, I think he is a pretty decent QB. I just don't think he's worth more than 15 Mil a year tops. More like 10-15 Mil a year. But I also don't think Cousins is worth half of what they're paying him, but there he is, making much more.

10-15 mil?...Cheepskate...If I was Dak I tell ya to shove it and head to some other NFC East team...:grin:

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

-“Game Manager”

Because a lot of people are idiots (And because some Eagles fans hang out here pretending to be Cowboys fans).

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

-“Game Manager”

You could look at Aikman's stat over that time frame also. Dak's are better.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Nobody really says this.

And the problems always arise when people do stuff like compare him to quarterbacks who are a) far better right now and b) played their first 3 seasons years ago. 4,300 yards in today's NFL is NOTHING.
Nick Foles best season is 2800 yards passing but yet some claim they rather give him the huge contract........ Yes people really say those things by the way

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
There is no conspiracy against Dak. Smart people with no allegiances or ill will towards the Cowboys look at his film and judge him fairly. He lacks elite arm talent, he too often doesn’t make the optimal read, and he lacks pocket awareness. He has positives too. And when you judge him on his production then extrapolate all of that out it looks like to those who get paid to analyze this stuff that he’s never going to be elite. Does that mean he can’t overcome the odds? No. And I sincerely hope he does. But odds are we will look back at Dak’s career and judge him as “serviceable” and not much more than that. So the question becomes is serviceable really what you want at the most important position in the league? You don’t have much of a choice for now. But it should be factored in when it comes time to make an investment in Dak.
I disagree with you. Sure if you only watch film of Daks bad games...... Which isn't very many. Facts are you can also watch film where he looks top 5-10 so this myth that film shows he can't be elite is rubbish

shabazz

Reaction score
I will readily admit that I like Dak as a person and I love his background story. Something to be said for a kid that grew up in a trailer park, with a single mom and through hard work and toughness has made it to being the starting QB of the Dallas Cowboys.

I know those things don’t matter come Sunday but I can admit that I do root for Dak to overcome and make it great, in part, because of those things.

Thank s for your honesty. This in a nutshell explains this undeserved love and rather disturbing blind infatuation the Prescott apologists display no matter how bad he plays, kills drives and comes up empty yet again.

It’s who he is and what he represents rather than what he’s actually doing on the field. Emotion driven worship at all costs...........but most of all because he’s anybody but Romo

shabazz

Reaction score
Yeas agreed a great American story, tough not to root for the kid. Just wish he had a little more arm talent.

Yeah, a great American story that’s been duplicated only 100’s of thousands of times and is constantly happening all around us but it’s not that emotional because these other people are merely Doctors, CEO’s, Lawyers, Senators, Generals and many other positions that are in no way more important than playing football.

But why wish for more arm talent? What’s that got to do with how many followers one can get on Twitter or how many comomercials you can do? Those are the important things to be measured by.

rags747

Reaction score
Yeah, a great American story that’s been duplicated only 100’s of thousands of times and is constantly happening all around us but it’s not that emotional because these other people are merely Doctors, CEO’s, Lawyers, Senators, Generals and many other positions that are in no way more important than playing football.

But why wish for more arm talent? What’s that got to do with how many followers one can get on Twitter or how many comomercials you can do? Those are the important things to be measured by.
Interesting response although it’s even more interesting that I believe we do agree on the subject of Dak.

Status
Not open for further replies.