Analysis: Comparing the Rush Frequency of the 3 top NFL RBs 2018

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Crown Royal, Jan 4, 2019.

1. Outlaw Heroes

Outlaw Heroes Well-Known Member

4,462 Messages
    4,436 Likes Received
    He’s got ridiculous hips, like Barry did. What impresses so much about Barkley is his ability to make guys miss at his size. It draws comparison to Sanders. Of course he’s not at that level of elusiveness (nobody outside of Sayers has been). But then he’s a lot bigger. The dude is an absolute beast. The best combo of power (he may not run guys over but he breaks a ton of tackles), speed and quickness since Bo Jackson, in my opinion.

Nova likes this.
  2. CalPolyTechnique

CalPolyTechnique Well-Known Member

13,053 Messages
    18,792 Likes Received
    There’s no reason to interpret that stat to mean Barkley is dancing in the backfield. Defensive lines penetrate gaps and blow up run plays. It’s happened to Zeke and there’s no reason think it doesn’t happen to Barkley who has a worse offensive line.

3. AsthmaField

AsthmaField Outta bounds

19,321 Messages
    22,410 Likes Received
    Well I also watched him play a lot this year and see that he, like Barry Sanders, also tries to hit the homerun a lot.

But interpret it however you like.

4. Crown Royal

Crown Royal Insulin Beware

12,836 Messages
    3,430 Likes Received
    Great analysis. Ultimately it’s just a matter of taste - either are great RBs and you can win off of them. It isn’t as though Barkley is dancing around and losing yards on a third of his plays - he’s still quality.

AsthmaField likes this.
  5. percyhoward

percyhoward Research Tool

16,947 Messages
    21,716 Likes Received
    Barkley's success rate wasn't good.

Gurley 57%
    Elliott 50%
    Barkley 41%

Crown Royal likes this.
  6. beware_d-ware

beware_d-ware Well-Known Member

4,269 Messages
    5,265 Likes Received
    Barkley clearly has the talent to house long runs, but his 5 runs over 50 yards while Gurley and Zeke combined for 0 on ~550 carries stands out as an obvious candidate for regression.

7. Crown Royal

Crown Royal Insulin Beware

12,836 Messages
    3,430 Likes Received
    Saw that chart earlier while I was getting this and trying to find behind the line contact. Convinced me that Gurley did in fact deserve the first team all pro nod. Monster year.

8. percyhoward

percyhoward Research Tool

16,947 Messages
    21,716 Likes Received
    Difference was all red zone.

Success rate -- runs inside opp 10-yd line
    Gurley 56% (20 of 36)
    Elliott 33% (7 of 21)

Run/pass ratio inside opp 10-yd line
    Rams 50.5% run 49.5% pass
    Cowboys 51.4% run 48.6% pass

9. DuceizBak

DuceizBak Well-Known Member

778 Messages
    518 Likes Received
    great analysis, but I don't think the giants run blocking is terrible, at all. I bet next year they will be a top 10 unit. I was watching a lot of his plays and he has glaring holes often. I think people confuse pass blocking and run blocking(not you, i know you know your stuff)
    It's also a weird measuring stick that Dallas players get measured by. Nobody cares that other Hof players have had good to great offensive lines.

xwalker likes this.
  10. Primetime42

Primetime42 Well-Known Member

3,450 Messages
    759 Likes Received
    Barry Sanders squatted 600 lbs

11. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member

47,048 Messages
    33,970 Likes Received
    I think we know the Giants oline is weak too....although the rookie Hernandez appears to bea nice addition

12. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member

47,048 Messages
    33,970 Likes Received
    I think everyone knows of those legendarily monster legs. And especially short ones like that...makes for huge squat numbers.
    Sanders could drag people if he had too...and did on occassion. He avoided it more than some because he was so talented, not because he was afraid.

13. Thomas82

Thomas82 Well-Known Member

2,715 Messages
    1,446 Likes Received
    The man had tree trunks for legs.