Another Elite RB Goes Home Ringless

mattjames2010

Reaction score
I understand what you're saying and time after time, people use the patriots as an example of what you can and should do. I can't follow that model until you give me Brady and Belichick, You are talking about two of the greatest of all time in many respects. These two can do anything and yes, they can be beat by teams who don't have the equivalent.

It's not just the Patriots....

Show me the last elite RB that won a Super Bowl. The most you can give is Lynch, but he was not "Beast mode" for most of the playoffs and certainly not the Super Bowl.

For over a decade now, teams have won with just good backs or a committee approach. Elite RBs are a dying breed, I have no idea why there is this weird sudden resurgence the last couple of years that scouts believe taking an RB in the top 5 will be worth it. None of these dudes ever get rings.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Not easily. CJ is a tough yards pounder and starting quality. His primary issue is that he hasn't been able to stay healthy consistently.

CJ Anderson isn't an elite talent. He's just a good back, yet, he still picked up the production left by the "elite RB" Gurley. That's the point.

How is our offense doing?

Murray 2014 - nearly 2,000 yards rushing
McFadden 2015 - 1,000+ yards rushing
Zeke - 2016/18 - 1,000+

The trenches matter far more than the skill positions.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Philly did last year!!!!!

You mean Nick Foles who played at an insanely high level? Yeah, pretending that isn't some outlier is hilarious.

Let's see a couple other QBs that replaced starters and went on to win a Super Bowl: Tom Brady, Kurt Warner. 1 is the GOAT and the other is a HOF.

Nice try.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
And the other elite RB won the title. Sony Michell.

Yes, the QB is by far the most important, no one is arguing that. However, the route running ability of Edelmann and Gronk was absolutely huge in this game.

Playmakers are important, just not in the way most fans believe. Moving the chains is the #1 facet of most good/great O's.

I do agree about putting a major focus on the D, but until we understand the role of DT's in playoff D's, it won't matter. NE has what might be the best DL rotation in the NFL.

Are you trolling? Sony Michel is not "elite". You can't even spell the "elite" RBs name correctly. You won't be entertained again if you respond to me with this dribble again. Ridiculous.

Reaction score
Saquan Barkley had a sensational year and looks to be a generational talent.

Yet the Giants went 5-11.

There is a lesson to be learned here.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Saquan Barkley had a sensational year and looks to be a generational talent.

Yet the Giants went 5-11.

There is a lesson to be learned here.

They've also had "top 3 WR" OBJ for a few seasons as well. Made the playoffs 1 time, unsurprisingly, when their D was playing at a high level.

Hardline

Reaction score
Another elite DT went home ringless. There are lot of elite position players that have gone ringless

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Another elite DT went home ringless. There are lot of elite position players that have gone ringless

And those DT pressured the QB all night long and kept them to 13 points. You know, the same way the Patriots D pressure the QB.

Which one of them had an RB going off yesterday? You didn't counter my point. I can rattle off a ton of elite defensive player names that have won Super Bowls the past 15 years. Name me the elite RBs.

I'll wait.

visionary

Reaction score
....and the team that has a new RB for every Super Bowl they get to gets their sixth trophy since 2000.

You either have a great QB that can put up a ton of points or you have a great defense to keep you in a game. It is not about the skill players, it's about the most valuable position and the trenches.

Stop handing out big contracts to highlight reel players that won't lead you to the ultimate goal. Slap Zeke with a couple franchise tags, hope and pray that Cooper takes some "Thank you for believing in me!" discount, and pay our freakin' defensive players.

I'm confused
Didn't this same "great QB" "go home ringless" just last year? Beaten by that great QB legend known as Nick Foles?

Perhaps you can help us understand how Tom Brady was trash last year and suddenly because great this year

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
And those DT pressured the QB all night long and kept them to 13 points. You know, the same way the Patriots D pressure the QB.

Which one of them had an RB going off yesterday? You didn't counter my point. I can rattle off a ton of elite defensive player names that have won Super Bowls the past 15 years. Name me the elite RBs.

I'll wait.
Rice and Lynch were pretty good.

visionary

Reaction score
It's not just the Patriots....

Show me the last elite RB that won a Super Bowl. The most you can give is Lynch, but he was not "Beast mode" for most of the playoffs and certainly not the Super Bowl.

For over a decade now, teams have won with just good backs or a committee approach. Elite RBs are a dying breed, I have no idea why there is this weird sudden resurgence the last couple of years that scouts believe taking an RB in the top 5 will be worth it. None of these dudes ever get rings.

Can you show me all the elite (not good or great) WRs that have won a SB in the last 10 years?

Maybe we shouldn't spend money on elite WR either?

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Running backs don't win you games and are replaceable for the most part. This being proof #10,000

Sink assets into the players around the RB, not the RB itself. Also get a creative offensive coaching staff that understands when you need a yard for a 1st down DONT LOAD THE BOX WITH A BUNCH OF 300+ FATTYS

JBS

Reaction score
funny...you go on this lengthy rant about how you have this entire thing figured out..

yet, you forget the absolute most important factor in all of this, which is coaching

Hardline

Reaction score

I'll wait.
Tony Dorsett
Emmitt Smith
Marcus Allen
John Riggins
Larry Czonka
Otis Anderson
Walter Payton

I'm sure theres a few more
Any more questions

Rayman70

Reaction score
Cooper is special. He should be in our long term plans. Zeke,unfortunately...is good for another 3 years tops. The stats say that.

DHCBF66

Reaction score
....and the team that has a new RB for every Super Bowl they get to gets their sixth trophy since 2000.

You either have a great QB that can put up a ton of points or you have a great defense to keep you in a game. It is not about the skill players, it's about the most valuable position and the trenches.

Stop handing out big contracts to highlight reel players that won't lead you to the ultimate goal. Slap Zeke with a couple franchise tags, hope and pray that Cooper takes some "Thank you for believing in me!" discount, and pay our freakin' defensive players.
Im guessing you mist the Pats last drive when they had 2 separate RBs (1 a 1st round pick) break runs for 20 plus yards that helped seal the win. It was the Pats RBs that that came through, not Brady!

Reaction score
Tony Dorsett
Emmitt Smith
Marcus Allen
John Riggins
Larry Czonka
Otis Anderson
Walter Payton

I'm sure theres a few more
Any more questions
Wow!

The most recent name here is Emmitt, whose last win was in the mid '90's.

Anything more recent?