Another Elite RB Goes Home Ringless

Rayman70

Reaction score
Otis Anderson in his prime with the Cardinals, was a BEAST! Big,fast, bruiser of a back that could take it the distance. Dude was way underrated and doesn't get nearly enough love. Nobody wanted to tackle him once he got a head of steam going. Anyone else on the board remember that guy? I hated it when we played the Cards, led by Neil lomax, Jim Hart and him...and they had great wr's.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
I really want to know the story here. What the hell was going on with Gurley the last two games? Injured?

Gurley has been hurt since that Eagles game before Christmas. He has never been the same since. He had a few runs against us but it was mainly because we were so out of position, anyone could have made those runs. Which is what CJ Anderson did. Saints and Pats made the Rams run game look putrid.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Of Course Emmitt played in a different era than most on the list..but was a bit of a throw back player.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Im guessing you mist the Pats last drive when they had 2 separate RBs (1 a 1st round pick) break runs for 20 plus yards that helped seal the win. It was the Pats RBs that that came through, not Brady!

You mean their RB that put up 900 yards and some RB that is a JAG? Thanks for helping my point.

And no, their defense came through. I also remember Brady tossing some pretty passes to Gronk to get to the goal line. But let's ignore that for....narrative.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
I'm confused
Didn't this same "great QB" "go home ringless" just last year? Beaten by that great QB legend known as Nick Foles?

Perhaps you can help us understand how Tom Brady was trash last year and suddenly because great this year

That great QB, LOL that you have that in quotes like he's not great, has won 6 out of his 9 Super Bowls.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
It takes a balance of exceptional talent on both offense and defense to be elite.

This SB was well contested by 2 strong teams with those exact characteristics.

Both possessed rosters that were laden with exceptional talent and leadership.

RB is but one of many positions that need to be special with talented backups.

Last edited:

Rayman70

Reaction score
Rueben Mayes was a little known player from that era that had he stayed healthy, was a good RB for the saints.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Can you show me all the elite (not good or great) WRs that have won a SB in the last 10 years?

Maybe we shouldn't spend money on elite WR either?

....that's a skill position. I have discussed paying WRs big money as well, it's not worth it.

LOL the Cowboys fanbase deserves to have no Super Bowls. This place is no better than Jerry Jones -- despite the hate for him. Embarrassing.

visionary

Reaction score
That great QB, LOL that you have that in quotes like he's not great, has won 6 out of his 9 Super Bowls.

Way to change the subject

Should we also not be paying QBs because Brady "went home ringless" last year?

It's s team game
Coaching is very very important
If you think for a second that Brady would have 6 SBs with Garrett you're fooling yourself

No elite WRs have won the SB recently either

Rams had way way way better defensive talent than NE (did I say coaching is important?)

Point is that posts like this can be made about a ton of positions and are totally meaningless and only point to your agenda

It's a team game
QB and coaching are the most important but all positions are important. Singling out RB in one game (without whom the team wouldn't have even made the playoffs) is totally moronic

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Rice wasn't elite, and the year they won the Super Bowl he was inconsistent. Look at the numbers. Already addressed Lynch.

Next.
1200 yards is inconsistent? K.
And lynch had 1300 and 13 TDs is damn good. Plus averaging 100 per game in the post season?
Both were very instrumental to winning championships, I guess if your safe word is elite, then you could pick just about any position.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Ray Rice may have been one of THE BEST backs at the time when he had his major issues crop up. Lets give the player his due. As far as the person...that's another entire issue. Lets not mix the 2 together. Ray Rice was a helluva good back. Its ashame what happened.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Way to change the subject

Should we also not be paying QBs because Brady "went home ringless" last year?

It's s team game
Coaching is very very important
If you think for a second that Brady would have 6 SBs with Garrett you're fooling yourself

No elite WRs have won the SB recently either

Rams had way way way better defensive talent than NE (did I say coaching is important?)

Point is that posts like this can be made about a ton of positions and are totally meaningless and only point to your agenda

It's a team game
QB and coaching are the most important but all positions are important. Singling out RB in one game (without whom the team wouldn't have even made the playoffs) is totally moronic

You're struggling to keep up...

There is a pattern here, I hope you are following along.

In this era, hopefully you know what that means because Hardline didn't seem to get it either, elite RBs do not win Super Bowls. However, elite QBs and elite defenses do. Okay, we good? You okay? If your brain is frying, take a break and finish reading the rest of the post. Now let's keep going, champ.

And no, it can no be made about "a lot of positions" - again, I can point to nearly every position on defense and on offense outside of skill positions and show you that teams in THIS ERA have had elite somewhere on defense/offense in the trenches, in the secondary, on the o-line, and at QB.

Elite RBs and WRs do not win you Super Bowls in this NFL. You can get by with just GOOD talent there or even just JAGs. Yet again, you need either a top ranked defense or an elite QB to get a trophy.

Make a list of elite RBs and WRs that have won in this era. If you can't, you have no point. NEXT!

mattjames2010

Reaction score
1200 yards is inconsistent? K.
And lynch had 1300 and 13 TDs is damn good. Plus averaging 100 per game in the post season?
Both were very instrumental to winning championships, I guess if your safe word is elite, then you could pick just about any position.

1,200 yards put him outside the top 10 that year.

Look at his game logs

http://www.nfl.com/player/rayrice/941/gamelogs?season=2012

That is not "elite" - elite in 2012 was Peterson, Lynch, Foster, and Charles. That's the problem with the RB position as well, it's ever changing. I mean, freakin' Ridley, Spiller, Green-Ellis, Greene, and Bradshaw all had 1,000+ yards as well. There is little to no consistency at RB.

DenCWBY

Reaction score
This team isn’t going to be a team that throws for 35-45 times a game. And Zeke takes a tone of pressure off the QB in ways not shown through stats.
I agree but I think you can find backs in FA and mid round draft to do that (relieve pressure on the QB) as well. Paying a first round RB will take a lot out of this teams cap to fund other player position needs.

visionary

Reaction score
You're struggling to keep up...

There is a pattern here, I hope you are following along.

In this era, hopefully you know what that means because Hardline didn't seem to get it either, elite RBs do not win Super Bowls. However, elite QBs and elite defenses do. Okay, we good? You okay? If your brain is frying, take a break and finish reading the rest of the post. Now let's keep going, champ.

And no, it can no be made about "a lot of positions" - again, I can point to nearly every position on defense and on offense outside of skill positions and show you that teams in THIS ERA have had elite somewhere on defense/offense in the trenches, in the secondary, on the o-line, and at QB.

Elite RBs and WRs do not win you Super Bowls in this NFL. You can get by with just GOOD talent there or even just JAGs. Yet again, you need either a top ranked defense or an elite QB to get a trophy.

Make a list of elite RBs and WRs that have won in this era. If you can't, you have no point. NEXT!

I have no quarrel with you about skill positions
Neither about elite QBs

I'm all in on elite QB and building the trenches

If that was your point, why not make the title one of those instead of singling out RB?

Rayman70

Reaction score
I think we should actually draft another back to pair with Zeke.I know that's off topic...just one of my random thoughts. I would love to get a scat back type to open up the offense. Like Thunder and lightning.

visionary

Reaction score
I agree but I think you can find backs in FA and mid round draft to do that (relieve pressure on the QB) as well. Paying a first round RB will take a lot out of this teams cap to fund other player position needs.

Jerry will pay him because he is the mist predictable way of staying 'relevant '

DenCWBY

Reaction score
Im guessing you mist the Pats last drive when they had 2 separate RBs (1 a 1st round pick) break runs for 20 plus yards that helped seal the win. It was the Pats RBs that that came through, not Brady!
That's amazing timing, execution, blocking and play calling too. The pats run game is all about execution. That 2 yard TD run was an amazing example of great execution against one of the best defensive front lines (Rams) in football. And yes I grant you their RB's are pretty good too.