Another fake email from phony Amazon.com

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
Ironically, this one used the fear of fraud to try to trick you into giving out your login credentials. This one said something like, "Verify your login to help us combat fraud." It then claimed that because so many accounts had been hijacked, they needed you to login immediately to make sure your account was okay. Then they provided a link, which of course was a phony bologna one designed to steal your user name and password.

When I went to Amazon's real web page and logged in, there was no mention of any need to log in to combat fraud. I forwarded the bogus email to Amazon's fraud department.

Don't let these crooks fool you. Whenever someone allegedly from a company you do business with emails you, calls you, or even stops by your house, DON'T take their word for it, and don't worry that it might be rude to not believe them. You don't want to be so nice that you get taken advantage of. The action to take is always:

1. Don't take their word for anything.
2. If there's any doubt on something's validity, always contact the real company at the phone number or web site that you're certain is their real one.
3. If you have time, and you think an email is phony, forward it to the company's fraud department.

Remember that the crooks are often master manipulators. They know that Americans, especially older ones, are concerned about being polite and kind with people. You don't have to cuss and yell, but you do need to have a firm backbone. You should always insist that you'll contact the company yourself. If they get pushy, they're the ones being rude, and it's fine to just shut the door or hang up the phone. Also, don't ever contact the company with information that the person gave you. Always use the info you keep in your database, your rolodex, address book, or wherever that you know is correct info. The crooks are really good at working with an accomplice. They can give you a number to call, which opens with something like, "Welcome to US Bank, press 1 for English ... blah blah blah, press 3 to speak with an agent." They make it sound really real, but it's their crooked accomplice.

Just excuse yourself and contact the company yourself with what you are certain is correct contact information.

I hope y'all at CZ don't mind me posting a warning, even though I've posted previous ones before. I've seen way too many people get scammed. I know from my days working in the security field that people are way more likely to get ripped off by a con artist calling or emailing than they are to get ripped off by a burglar entering their home. Both are possible, but the crooks have figured out that there's way less risk to the criminal to contact people with a con than to break into someone's home.

I'm just so tired of the crooks taking advantage of people I could just scream. Especially if you have elderly parents or grandparents, be sure to let them know how to avoid scams. The crooks prey on the elderly because the elderly usually want to be nice, and they're often less familiar with technology.

Thanks for listening. If this ends up protecting someone, then it was worth taking the time to write it.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Ironically, this one used the fear of fraud to try to trick you into giving out your login credentials. This one said something like, "Verify your login to help us combat fraud." It then claimed that because so many accounts had been hijacked, they needed you to login immediately to make sure your account was okay. Then they provided a link, which of course was a phony bologna one designed to steal your user name and password.

When I went to Amazon's real web page and logged in, there was no mention of any need to log in to combat fraud. I forwarded the bogus email to Amazon's fraud department.

Don't let these crooks fool you. Whenever someone allegedly from a company you do business with emails you, calls you, or even stops by your house, DON'T take their word for it, and don't worry that it might be rude to not believe them. You don't want to be so nice that you get taken advantage of. The action to take is always:

1. Don't take their word for anything.
2. If there's any doubt on something's validity, always contact the real company at the phone number or web site that you're certain is their real one.
3. If you have time, and you think an email is phony, forward it to the company's fraud department.

Remember that the crooks are often master manipulators. They know that Americans, especially older ones, are concerned about being polite and kind with people. You don't have to cuss and yell, but you do need to have a firm backbone. You should always insist that you'll contact the company yourself. If they get pushy, they're the ones being rude, and it's fine to just shut the door or hang up the phone. Also, don't ever contact the company with information that the person gave you. Always use the info you keep in your database, your rolodex, address book, or wherever that you know is correct info. The crooks are really good at working with an accomplice. They can give you a number to call, which opens with something like, "Welcome to US Bank, press 1 for English ... blah blah blah, press 3 to speak with an agent." They make it sound really real, but it's their crooked accomplice.

Just excuse yourself and contact the company yourself with what you are certain is correct contact information.

I hope y'all at CZ don't mind me posting a warning, even though I've posted previous ones before. I've seen way too many people get scammed. I know from my days working in the security field that people are way more likely to get ripped off by a con artist calling or emailing than they are to get ripped off by a burglar entering their home. Both are possible, but the crooks have figured out that there's way less risk to the criminal to contact people with a con than to break into someone's home.

I'm just so tired of the crooks taking advantage of people I could just scream. Especially if you have elderly parents or grandparents, be sure to let them know how to avoid scams. The crooks prey on the elderly because the elderly usually want to be nice, and they're often less familiar with technology.

Thanks for listening. If this ends up protecting someone, then it was worth taking the time to write it.
Yeah, I got that one earlier today in a text. I just marked it as spam and reported it.

jsb357

Reaction score
Please delete if post is a violation of Forum Rules

Four Signs That It’s a Scam

Scammers PRETEND to be from an organization you know.
Scammers often pretend to be contacting you on behalf of the government.

They might use a real name, like the Social Security Administration, the IRS, or
Medicare, or make up a name that sounds official.

Some pretend to be from a business you know, like a utility company, a tech company,
or even a charity asking for donations. They use technology to change the phone number
that appears on your caller ID. So the name and number you see might not be real.

Scammers say there’s a PROBLEM or a PRIZE.

They might say you’re in trouble with the government. Or you owe money. Or someone
in your family had an emergency. Or that there’s a virus on your computer.
Some scammers say there’s a problem with one of your accounts and that you need
to verify some information. Others will lie and say you won money in a lottery or
sweepstakes but have to pay a fee to get it.

Scammers PRESSURE you to act immediately.

Scammers want you to act before you have time to think. If you’re on the phone,
they might tell you not to hang up so you can’t check out their story. They might
threaten to arrest you, sue you, take away your driver’s or business license, or
deport you. They might say your computer is about to be corrupted.

Scammers tell you to PAY in a specific way.

They often insist that you pay by sending money through a money transfer company
or by putting money on a gift card and then giving them the number on the back.
Some will send you a check (that will later turn out to be fake), tell you to deposit it,
and then send them money.

according to the FBI it's a 7 billion dollar problem with people over 70 being
one of the biggest targets and losing the most per scam of all age groups.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Please delete if post is a violation of Forum Rules

Four Signs That It’s a Scam

Scammers PRETEND to be from an organization you know.
Scammers often pretend to be contacting you on behalf of the government.

They might use a real name, like the Social Security Administration, the IRS, or
Medicare, or make up a name that sounds official.

Some pretend to be from a business you know, like a utility company, a tech company,
or even a charity asking for donations. They use technology to change the phone number
that appears on your caller ID. So the name and number you see might not be real.

Scammers say there’s a PROBLEM or a PRIZE.

They might say you’re in trouble with the government. Or you owe money. Or someone
in your family had an emergency. Or that there’s a virus on your computer.
Some scammers say there’s a problem with one of your accounts and that you need
to verify some information. Others will lie and say you won money in a lottery or
sweepstakes but have to pay a fee to get it.

Scammers PRESSURE you to act immediately.

Scammers want you to act before you have time to think. If you’re on the phone,
they might tell you not to hang up so you can’t check out their story. They might
threaten to arrest you, sue you, take away your driver’s or business license, or
deport you. They might say your computer is about to be corrupted.

Scammers tell you to PAY in a specific way.

They often insist that you pay by sending money through a money transfer company
or by putting money on a gift card and then giving them the number on the back.
Some will send you a check (that will later turn out to be fake), tell you to deposit it,
and then send them money.

according to the FBI it's a 7 billion dollar problem with people over 70 being
one of the biggest targets and losing the most per scam of all age groups.
There's a YouTube channel called Scammer Payback, or something like that, where the guy messes with big scammer organizations. One of the most common things they do is make people (especially elderly) think they (the scammer) accidentally deposited way too much money in the person's bank account and they change the figures in the person's online account, even though they can't actually change the amount in real life. Then they have the person buy a bunch of Walmart (or other) gift cards to make up the difference and send them to a certain address, usually in town.

They're despicable people, and should spend the rest of their lives in prison.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score

I agree with that 100 percent.

The prevalence of this crap does make me wonder why people turn into such disgusting and evil crooks. They won't think twice about swindling an elderly person out of their life savings.

kskboys

Reaction score
They can curtail this if they want. Just search these idiots out and punish the crapp out of them, and it would lessen to a great degree. Give a couple 40 year [prison terms.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
They can curtail this if they want. Just search these idiots out and punish the crapp out of them, and it would lessen to a great degree. Give a couple 40 year [prison terms.

Works for me. I would set up a labor prison in the Aleutian Islands in Alaska, and hire some drill sergeants to work their ***** off every day. Feed them a basic 1800-calorie diet of beans, rice, and MREs. Only allow phone calls home if they earn the privilege.

Creeper

Reaction score
There's a YouTube channel called Scammer Payback, or something like that, where the guy messes with big scammer organizations. One of the most common things they do is make people (especially elderly) think they (the scammer) accidentally deposited way too much money in the person's bank account and they change the figures in the person's online account, even though they can't actually change the amount in real life. Then they have the person buy a bunch of Walmart (or other) gift cards to make up the difference and send them to a certain address, usually in town.

Many of the scammers are located overseas. Remember the IRS scammers who called people and told them they owed taxes and the sheriffs we about to arrest them unless they paid their taxes immediately? They were located in India. They also managed to get a lot of people to actually pay them!

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Many of the scammers are located overseas. Remember the IRS scammers who called people and told them they owed taxes and the sheriffs we about to arrest them unless they paid their taxes immediately? They were located in India. They also managed to get a lot of people to actually pay them!
I think most are from India. Some from Russia.

rags747

Reaction score
That’s wild. I keep getting these crazy UKE emails asking for money to of course fight for democracy. I tell ‘em to *** off immediately and then I report them!

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I got 2 messages from "Lowes" the other day, telling me I'd won...a drill or something...I didn't read any farther, since I don't remember enrolling in any sweepstakes type thing.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I’ve gotten similar fake Amazon emails wanting my password. I’ve never fallen for them.