Another Record for Felix

JFlgn

Reaction score
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/football/nfl/10/08/chff/index.html?eref=T1

Cold Hard Football Facts: Cowboys' Felix Jones chases old YPA record

By Kerry J. Byrne, Special to SI.com, ColdHardFootballFacts.com

You know the Cold, Hard Football Facts love the old-school game. And you know we love to keep alive the memories of the statistical oddities from NFL history that are routinely overlooked by the pigskin "pundits" who believe John Elway invented football at Stanford in 1981.

So it is today that we officially launch the Beattie Feathers Watch in Dallas.

Feathers, a former Bears back, holds one of the oldest and most impressive records in NFL history -- and it's a milestone that's under assault this season by Dallas rookie phenom Felix Jones.

We discussed Jones in great detail last week: the lone loss of the young season for the Cowboys came against the Commanders in Week 4, in the lone game in which explosive Jones didn't touch the ball once from scrimmage.
Feathers, meanwhile, was a rookie with the 1934 Bears when he produced one of the most remarkable seasons -- rookie or otherwise -- in early NFL annals, ripping off 1,004 yards on just 119 carries.

It was the first 1,000-yard season in NFL history. More impressively, Feathers' average of 8.44 yards per attempt has never been matched by a running back.* (The 1934 Bears, for their part, went 13-0 before falling in the NFL championship game to, you guessed it, the Giants, who were a mere 8-5 that year. Sound familiar?)

* Michael Vick rewrote the official NFL record in 2006, with an average of 8.45 YPA over the course of the season. But, as you know, if a quarterback is tackled behind the line of scrimmage, it's counted as a sack and not against his rushing yardage, thereby making it easier for running quarterbacks to boost their per-carry averages. Running backs don't have that luxury and the average of 8.44 YPA set by Feathers remains the highest mark by a running back.

It was the ultimate one-hit wonder of a season. In fact, you might think of Feathers as the A Flock of Seagulls of football: over the next six seasons of his career, he never topped 350 yards or 5.0 YPA.

But for one year, he was as good lugging the leather as anyone in history.
Fast forward three quarters of a century, and Jones looks like he could threaten the YPA standard set by Feathers back in 1934. The former Razorbacks ball carrier produced another stunning performance last Sunday in Dallas's 31-22 win over Cincinnati.

He produced a game-leading 96 yards on just nine carries. That's a nifty 10.7 YPA for those of you keeping score at home. And that type of number should put a buzz in your bonnet.

Five games into the season, Jones has carried the ball 27 times for an amazing 244 yards. That's an average of 9.04 YPA, and that's a pace that would surpass the standard set by Feathers 74 years ago.

So far, Jones has clearly benefited from being the lightning to the thunder of No. 1 back Marion "The Bull" Barber. He's a classic change-of-pace back, just as he was in Arkansas, where he was overshadowed by Heisman candidate Darren McFadden. But Jones was just as explosive in college: He averaged a stunning 8.74 YPA last year as a junior at Arkansas.

The Cowboys brain trust (even the guys who would bench Doug Flutie before the playoffs) must certainly be impressed by Jones's production so far. So they'll certainly be tempted to hand him the ball more often than they do now. Defenses, meanwhile, will be forced to focus on Jones more intently than they do now.

Both factors could conspire to drop his average per attempt from its current lofty realm. Plus, there's still a lot of football left to play, and early statistical anomalies tend to flatten over time.

But it would be a fascinating moment in league history if the rookie Jones smashed the mark set by the rookie Feathers all those years ago -- at least to the football junkies among us.

Rest assured that the Cold, Hard Football Facts will be watching Jones' assault on history every fleet-footed step of the way.

ColdHardFootballFacts.com is dedicated to cutting-edge analysis and to the "gridiron lifestyle" of beer, food and football. Email comments to siwriters@simail.com

FLCowboyFan

Hoping to be half the man Tom Landry was.
Reaction score
Keep getting him touches. Whether he gets the record or not, we need his big plays to force the D to be honest and not just focus on TO and Whitten

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
He keeps the D more honest by forcing them to spread out, keep containment, not go hawking and cover your territory. I'd love to see him get more carries up the middle. He must be a nightmare to defend esp for the OLBs, DEs and CBs.

btcutter

Reaction score
I am still waiting for a screen pass to Jones...........and still waiting......

or run the same play Patriots runs for Welker but we use Jones.

Get this man the ball in the open field!!!!

ddh33

Reaction score
Next to TO, he is the single biggest threat on this team. Don't misunderstand, I'm not saying he is the best player. But Felix is a bigger threat to score than anyone on this team except TO. I think this team needs more of his speed, so I want to see hi utilized more; I think he would open things up more for other guys. Either that, or he keeps benefitting from them and ripping off 10 yards per touch.

Woods

Reaction score
btcutter;2319261 said:
I am still waiting for a screen pass to Jones...........and still waiting......

or run the same play Patriots runs for Welker but we use Jones.

Get this man the ball in the open field!!!!

I'd love to see both of those plays.

Not sure why we haven't used Felix on a screen yet. You'd think he could be huge on those types of plays.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Woods;2319302 said:
I'd love to see both of those plays.

Not sure why we haven't used Felix on a screen yet. You'd think he could be huge on those types of plays.

We don't appear to run the screen that well. Esp as well as we do other things. I'd love if it we could learn screens.

Woods

Reaction score
jobberone;2319320 said:
We don't appear to run the screen that well. Esp as well as we do other things. I'd love if it we could learn screens.

That's true, we haven't run screens well in the past, but we've got to try with Felix. He's just so elusive.

In a way, I think Felix could do to other teams what Tiki Barber used to do against us and other competitiors - gash the team with screens, and occasionally take it the distance. And who better for Felix to do it against than the Giants and the Eagles with their "famed" pass rush/pressure?

I've got to think we try this sooner or later. It's just too obvious.

arglebargle

Reaction score
Feathers had a knee injury that year, or he would have done even better. He never fully recovered from it, hence the poor yardage in the years after.

In a weird connection, way back when my father was playing football in college, his college bought out a failed pro football team's assets, and my father ended up playing in Beattie Feather's old uniform.

Here's hoping Felix can keep going!

Meat-O-Rama

Vegetarians are so stupid.
Reaction score
Has nayone ever seen Felix's throwing arm?

Any chance of Felix running hard outside, inviting the D to come running to him, then lofting one over their heads to a wide open T.O. or Witten?

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Woods;2319370 said:
That's true, we haven't run screens well in the past, but we've got to try with Felix. He's just so elusive.

In a way, I think Felix could do to other teams what Tiki Barber used to do against us and other competitiors - gash the team with screens, and occasionally take it the distance. And who better for Felix to do it against than the Giants and the Eagles with their "famed" pass rush/pressure?

I've got to think we try this sooner or later. It's just too obvious.

I have no idea why they don't esp against teams like Philly and NYG. And it does appear obvious. It doesn't look like Felix needs to be put in space to make plays though. He's definitely making people pay for over pursuit and some of the plays he runs looks like he's looking to cutback.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
FLCowboyFan;2319113 said:
Keep getting him touches. Whether he gets the record or not, we need his big plays to force the D to be honest and not just focus on TO and Whitten

Whell? Who's ghonna tehl him?

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Tra_Col99;2319469 said:
The Bull?

:confused:

I was thinking the same thing.

Just a lazy writer that didn't want to type out "Barbarian".

Sorry, dude (whoever wrote the article), "The Bull" isn't gonna stick. He's the Barbarian. Get used to it.

Q_the_man

Reaction score
So in reality, Vick holds the record, since he average 8.45 while gaining 1000 yards......

Q_the_man

Reaction score
OH by a running back, but still the record is 8.45 regardless..... I doubt felix gets it, but it would be nice....