Another sign we’re close?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What I don't get is why do we care? If you subscribe to that saying "you can't teach an old dog new tricks" I'll tell you, I am an old dog and we can still learn. I learned more in the past 10 years than the previous 20. There's a major difference between being taught and learning.

Booger gets called in advance on his decisions before he even gets the chance to be proven successful. Happened with Yosemite, Vander Esch and the Cooper trade most recently and when those worked out, had to be Son and McClay. That's nutty.

Booger changed his circle of influence along the way and changed the results. Time was it was all about skill positions and he learned. He also had too many friends in the circle that like him and would tell him what he wanted to hear like Larry Lacewell.

But being just a little younger than Booger, let me share some inner feelings with the younger posters here. I retired 3 years ago and I regret it. As a man ages there are many fears he faces but none more daunting than the fear of irrelevance. I wasn't nearly as relevant as Booger is but in my world, people reported to me and I was responsible for making the decisions that affected their lives. I am not talking about importance here but meaning and purpose. Learning to live without that is a long arduous task.

Booger is the Dallas Cowboys. When was the last time you listened to a report about the Cowboys and he wasn't mentioned? He has taken what Davis, Steinbrenner, Halas, Brown and Auerbach did to a whole other level. He no longer sees himself as just important and relevant but critical as well. If he were to become irrelevant, he would soon pass away.

So, if you need a reason for the improvement of the team, don't discount him so quickly because mistakes are great teachers.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Frankly I don't care who gets credit should they win the SB. If this team can get that next SB there should be enough credit to go around
Of course but receiving his due credit is the driving force behind Jerry’s personal agenda.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I will say that until Boger has gone to his grave.

He's just not the type of guy to back off. There's a reason that Crazy Al was his mentor.
The idea that he makes every decision is severely unrealistic. It makes no sense that dozens of coaches and staff would just simply "be ok" with that.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It’s really difficult to say how close we are.

When I look at the top 4 teams ahead of last year in NE, KC, LA and NO I don’t feel as close. Yes we knocked off the Saints but the Bills beat Pats earlier in season too. Those single game upsets earlier in season aren’t applicable except to support a specific opinion.

We are a serious division and playoff contender but until we vault over the more Elite teams and QB’s in the playoffs we are looking more like simply the best of the rest. Which is ok.

I’m grateful for at least 16 meaningful games. Nothing worse than season over before Turkey. Last year was one of the most enjoyable seasons for me in 21st Century Cowboys Football.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The idea that he makes every decision is severely unrealistic. It makes no sense that dozens of coaches and staff would just simply "be ok" with that.
No one is saying he’s “ making every decision” just the final say which in many cases is going with the influence around him.
Big difference..

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
He doesn't make every decision Only the final one.
That's not the same as some who say he makes ALL of the decisions.
By the way, that's what all owners do.
Pretty much any owner of anything, lol.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
As long as Dallas falls short...it’s Jerry. We win the SB...it’s Steve and Will!

Or...

Steve and Will suck also!
Exactly. Some have a hard time with Jones being the owner. It's his, too bad if you don't like it.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
That's not the same as some who say he makes ALL of the decisions.
By the way, that's what all owners do.
Pretty much any owner of anything, lol.
All owners are NOT the final word on football decisions. Their GM or VP is if not their HC. And why they’re held more directly responsible.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Exactly. Some have a hard time with Jones being the owner. It's his, too bad if you don't like it.
That’s fine but that doesn’t mean he can be criticized.

There’s nothing I can do about the way the Waltons run Walmart but I can certainly voice my concerns and offer criticism or praise pending the issue.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't think any major decision gets made without his approval.

Why wouldn't they "be OK" with that? They work for him. I don't think Harbaugh would have had that blow up, with his GM if he were the owner.

G, did you see how quickly all discussion about trading down shut down, and it was apparent to me that his son wanted to do it or I was reading him wrong, when Booger said "take McGovern"?

Booger has changed into a better listener but at the end of the day, he's the Man. I am not saying he can't be swayed but there are a lot of top level managers that play the game. Let everyone voice an opinion and do what you were going to do anyway. It's the illusion of democracy right up until the end.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
That’s fine but that doesn’t mean he can be criticized.

There’s nothing I can do about the way the Waltons run Walmart but I can certainly voice my concerns and offer criticism or praise pending the issue.
I really don't care how you attempt to rationalize your agenda. It's really meaningless, I mean, what has all the whining and repeating gotten you?

'blah blah blah, it's dysfunctional, blah blah blah.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Of course but receiving his due credit is the driving force behind Jerry’s personal agenda.

I have not seen him deny getting players that coaches wanted. We may not agree with all moves but I don't see any of the moves made over the years done without the soul purpose of winning. What is Jerry personal agenda? winning... We may disagree on how you achieve the goals but I have no doubt all moves that have been made was with winning in mind.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I don't think any major decision gets made without his approval.

Why wouldn't they "be OK" with that? They work for him. I don't think Harbaugh would have had that blow up, with his GM if he were the owner.

G, did you see how quickly all discussion about trading down shut down, and it was apparent to me that his son wanted to do it or I was reading him wrong, when Booger said "take McGovern"?

Booger has changed into a better listener but at the end of the day, he's the Man. I am not saying he can't be swayed but there are a lot of top level managers that play the game. Let everyone voice an opinion and do what you were going to do anyway. It's the illusion of democracy right up until the end.
There is a lot more we don't know vs. what some fans assume they "know."

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I really don't care how you attempt to rationalize your agenda. It's really meaningless, I mean, what has all the whining and repeating gotten you?

'blah blah blah, it's dysfunctional, blah blah blah.
Its called venting your frustrations and voicing your concerns like you would for anything you patronize. Please ignore if it’s so difficult for you to hear.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I have not seen him deny getting players that coaches wanted. We may not agree with all moves but I don't see any of the moves made over the years done without the soul purpose of winning. What is Jerry personal agenda? winning... We may disagree on how you achieve the goals but I have no doubt all moves that have been made was with winning in mind.
Jerry’s personal agenda is getting more credit for winning. His ego won’t allow for someone else to be a Bigger face for our franchise.

He only wants to win his way . Which is fine. It’s his franchise. But if you’re insisting on running the kitchen then you must take the heat. Which he is more than willing to do. Not sure why some fans can’t handle it?