Another sign we’re close?

CCBoy

Reaction score
I think some fans believe it’s the Homeristic duty to defend everything Cowboys and since Jerry is the owner he falls under that window.

But like with owner or anyone in the public eye criticism comes with the territory.

Jerry deserves much credit for his early success with Jimmy and deserves much criticism for what’s taken place since.

And will receive praise again if he reaches that plateau.

It’s all fair in love and war.

After all work by the GM/or owner is over, the team still travels on the merit of coaches and players...and the Hall denotes degree of success in support of that team on the carpet.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I think we've seen huge improvements in the front office. The drafting has been much better as of late, and we aren't overspending in free agency. The money we are spending is to keep our own players.

Jerry has always circled the wagons and improved along the way, since well before he purchased the team.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Nothing like the truth uninhibited by a stereotype...:)

I agree. I don't read between lines and I am not a mind reader. I have to go by what people say who were actually there and talks about 1st hand experience. If people want to say Jerry needs to remove himself as GM I would not argue it, that is how they feel. I recall Jerry catching hell day one when he hired Jimmy Johnson and fired Tom Landry. Jimmy did not hire himself nor did Jimmy have to take the heat for the move.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
...the fact that commentators are now saying Stephen and Will McClay, and not Jerry, are running things.

Discuss....

I don't think that's fact at all. I think Jerry is allowing more input from others, and there is more of a collaborative effort than 20 years ago, but it's only that way as long as Jerry allows it. Jerry still has final say on everything.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I don't think that's fact at all. I think Jerry is allowing more input from others, and there is more of a collaborative effort than 20 years ago, but it's only that way as long as Jerry allows it. Jerry still has final say on everything.

What is funny and sad is one man he took much advice from was Larry Lacewell who was brought to Dallas by Jimmy Johnson. It was Johnson who ended the friendship when Lacewell did not leave and go to Miami with Jimmy when he got the job with the Dolphins.

CCBoy

Reaction score

CCBoy

Reaction score
What is funny and sad is one man he took much advice from was Larry Lacewell who was brought to Dallas by Jimmy Johnson. It was Johnson who ended the friendship when Lacewell did not leave and go to Miami with Jimmy when he got the job with the Dolphins.

'Benedict Arnold,' take two...

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Too bad the reference as your argument, doesn't support a solid blow against the counter argument for your taken stance...yet one claims another is lacking in a functional knowledge. Now what is de ja vu about that direction taken? (no, not mine)
Whatever..

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think we would be surprised at just how many final decisions are made by the owners of these teams.

What do you do if you have doubts about your GM, and evidently quite a few have had them, but won't remove him just yet? We really don't know how any of these teams operate, we think we know about the Pats, but I am not sure of that. Unless something gets in the media, like Parcells with NYG or Harbaugh with SF, we don't know how they operate out of sight.

And all any owner has to do is look at that fiasco created in PHL when Lurie acquiesced to Kelly and gave him carte blanche. GM's earn their autonomy in the NFL.

CCBoy

Reaction score

Agreed. In any functional organization, final responsibility can not be delegated. Jimmy Johnson never grasped that aspect.

There is a reason why the Dallas Cowboys are the most valuable sports franchise in the world.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I think we would be surprised at just how many final decisions are made by the owners of these teams.

What do you do if you have doubts about your GM, and evidently quite a few have had them, but won't remove him just yet? We really don't know how any of these teams operate, we think we know about the Pats, but I am not sure of that. Unless something gets in the media, like Parcells with NYG or Harbaugh with SF, we don't know how they operate out of sight.

And all any owner has to do is look at that fiasco created in PHL when Lurie acquiesced to Kelly and gave him carte blanche. GM's earn their autonomy in the NFL.
That’s true. We really don’t know.

What we do know is that 30 other owners don’t place themselves as GM taking on that role nor places themselves as the spokesperson of the franchise related to football operations as such.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
...the fact that commentators are now saying Stephen and Will McClay, and not Jerry, are running things.

Discuss....

"Next Sunday, the Cowboys will host the Saints in the NFC Championship game live on Fox."

That would be a sign that we're close.

CCBoy

Reaction score

What we do know is that 30 other owners don’t place themselves as GM taking on that role nor places themselves as the spokesperson of the franchise related to football operations as such.

Care to tell us what the percentages of wins/Super Bowls compare for non GM ownership and GM ownership?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Agreed. In any functional organization, final responsibility can not be delegated. Jimmy Johnson never grasped that aspect.

There is a reason why the Dallas Cowboys are the most valuable sports franchise in the world.
Apparently you’re struggling separating the responsibilities and duties of owner and GM . Understandable since it’s often a conflict of interest for Jerry too.

Jerry’s revolutionary Contributions to the revenue streams generated for the Cowboys and the NFL are to be applauded if that interest you.

Personally for me #1 in Revenue is not gear I’m interested in purchasing or a banner to raise. And it’s bragging rights only seemed pertinent when accompanied with winning championships.

I’ve always been more aligned with Landry’s thought that adopting the America’s Team and popular publicity as a result would only place a target on our backs encouraging hatred and hostility towards our franchise.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Care to tell us what the percentages of wins/Super Bowls compare for non GM ownership and GM ownership?
Are you supportive of Jerry wearing all hats for our franchise or only defending him against criticism?

Surely your not Slobbering over Jerry being our GM?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Or they'd be an owner like me. I'd have a GM but still call the big shots and use him as a scapegoat and sacrifice him to angry fans in my stead. The fans would be writing "damn, we love us some CC but he sure hires a bunch of stiffs for GM's". Then I would hire a President, who's job it would be to hire GM's and still pull my fingers in the pot routine but now have two to use as scapegoats.