Any FAs on the horizon?

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

We heard multiple times from Stephen before the draft that we weren’t done acquiring free agents. We’re close to three weeks since the draft- haven’t heard of a single FA we’ve acquired.

Am I missing something? Or was SJ not serious when he said we were still going to sign some FAs?
Thoughts?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
He’s just trying to keep the fans hopeful and interested. Although I wouldn’t rule out us signing someone prior to training camp or during camp. We could have an injury or someone could be available for cheap.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
I think a boba fide TD target would be beneficial for Dallas.

James Washington + CeeDee Lamb + Michael Gallup + Dalton Schultz have played a combined 14 seasons, and their best ever TD seasons all added together still only come to 27….

Now I’m sure without Cooper that’ll go up a bit, but you won’t have Gallup for a number of games. There’s no guarantee to how Lamb will react to having defenses focus him all season, and which James Washington is Dallas getting? There has to be a reason he was used so little his final 2 years in Pittsburgh.

Will Fuller is a major injury risk. But he’ll also be dirt cheap and is one of the greatest deep threats the NFL has seen over the span of his career. Even if you only get the 5-7 games Gallup misses out of him, that’d be money well spent. Why gamble the WR group will meet expectations when you can assure it?

jujoboys

Reaction score

We heard multiple times from Stephen before the draft that we weren’t done acquiring free agents. We’re close to three weeks since the draft- haven’t heard of a single FA we’ve acquired.

Am I missing something? Or was SJ not serious when he said we were still going to sign some FAs?
Thoughts?

I really thought we would sign some guys after the comp pick compensation was locked in. I guess I was wrong. Swing tackle and the depth at WR are still a concern to me. CB depth could be an issue if Bossman has legal action against him. Maybe they don't like anyone out there and they are waiting for cuts.? Just puzzling that they don't see their are positions that still need to be addressed.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I really thought we would sign some guys after the comp pick compensation was locked in. I guess I was wrong. Swing tackle and the depth at WR are still a concern to me. CB depth could be an issue if Bossman has legal action against him. Maybe they don't like anyone out there and they are waiting for cuts.? Just puzzling that they don't see their are positions that still need to be addressed.
how do you figure that at CB?? same lineup as last year..KJ not available to late last season seems to me the same scenario shaping up..might be some draftees plays STs but the backend is nearly identical.

we had a pretty good defense last year with all but what Gregory coming back?..neal gone but insert cox?

WR maybe IF the young guys dont step up , im sure moves will be made once TC is deep in and they see first hand what the young guys do and how Gallups progressing..

why not give the young guys all the reps early. Wait and see how they play in TC and against the other teams they face in TC and PS??

Id say OL might be the needed VET depth at swing but also same thing they want to reps to go to young guys like Ball, Smith, and others..IF needed before the season starts they can pick up depth.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Nobody believes anything Stephen or Jerry says.

I'd say with the possible exception of fans who actually seek their autographs, for reasons I'll never comprehend.

USATSI_16787600-scaled.jpg

jujoboys

Reaction score
how do you figure that at CB?? same lineup as last year..KJ not available to late last season seems to me the same scenario shaping up..might be some draftees plays STs but the backend is nearly identical.

we had a pretty good defense last year with all but what Gregory coming back?..neal gone but insert cox?

WR maybe IF the young guys dont step up , im sure moves will be made once TC is deep in and they see first hand what the young guys do and how Gallups progressing..

why not give the young guys all the reps early. Wait and see how they play in TC and against the other teams they face in TC and PS??

Id say OL might be the needed VET depth at swing but also same thing they want to reps to go to young guys like Ball, Smith, and others..IF needed before the season starts they can pick up depth.

Obviously my analysis on the WRs and swing tackle is tied to the unknown. Depth may be fine if the young guys pan out. However that is an unknown at this point. We don't know when Gallup will be back and we don't know if Tolbert is the real deal. Swing tackle we could have someone like Josh Ball step up or one of the rookies but again this is an unknown. That is why I have concerns with depth.

CB - If Joseph doesn't play due to circumstances then what if one of our other guys get hurt? I'm not saying we should sign a CB but it could be a point of weakness if Joseph is out and one of the guys get hurt.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

Thoughts?

Been voicing my displeasure over this in several threads.
We have no depth on the Oline, yet we do nothing in free agency on that front.
Gross incompetence and derilection of duty by the front office.
No wonder we have had no post season success in 26 years !!!
:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:
:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score

Thoughts?

Stephen's lips were moving, so what is the first thing that should tell you?

MonsterD

Quota outta absentia
Reaction score
No we aren't going to unless someone gets injured they would bump an existing player up and sign a practice squad type FA. Standard procedure here.

kiheikiwi

Maui No Ka Oi
Reaction score
In the NFC "arms race", Dallas is in 4th place.
I think people who believe Dallas will win the division this year - because we went undefeated last year, are delusional.
We have taken a step back, and every other team has improved.
It's not only baffling we haven't added any players (like everyone else has), but as the OP says - Motor mouth always waits till after the compensation picks are locked in. But still nothing - the most frustrating off-season ever.

Something was said about after June 1st. Alot more money becomes available to each team, so to expect the next wave of signings ?
(Not sure what that's about) .....

Carson

Reaction score
In the NFC "arms race", Dallas is in 4th place.
I think people who believe Dallas will win the division this year - because we went undefeated last year, are delusional.
We have taken a step back, and every other team has improved.
It's not only baffling we haven't added any players (like everyone else has), but as the OP says - Motor mouth always waits till after the compensation picks are locked in. But still nothing - the most frustrating off-season ever.

Something was said about after June 1st. Alot more money becomes available to each team, so to expect the next wave of signings ?
(Not sure what that's about) .....
4th place? Washington and New York are still a year away.

I would be

1a - Dallas
1b - Philly
3 - Washington
4 - New York

I don’t think losing Gregory, Cooper, Collins or Williams is a big deal at all.

Ced Wilson is the only player I feel like we will miss.