Any interest in Karl Joseph?

hendog86

Reaction score
Former first-round pick Karl Joseph could be seeing his time in the Silver and Black end after the 2019 season.

Thursday night, the Raiders used the 27th overall pick to select safety Johnathan Abram out of Mississippi State. The hard-hitting defender was viewed as a top prospect in the class, and general manager Mike Mayock and head coach Jon Gruden were unwilling to let him slip through their grasp. He now joins a safety room that includes Erik Harris, Lamarcus Joyner, Jordan Richards, and Joseph.

Of course, drafting Abram also brings about questions about Joseph's future with the team. He is entering the final year of his rookie deal but is eligible for a fifth-year option due to being a first-round pick in 2016. However, when Mayock was asked about his safety's status with the team and his contract option, the GM simply said, "I think that's a conversation we'll have with Karl." He wouldn't comment beyond that statement.

Back on March 4, Eric Branch of the San Francisco Chronicle reported that the Raiders intended to pick up the fifth-year option on Karl Joseph’s contract. The 2016 first-round pick from West Virginia only played just 10 snaps in the first six games in 2018 but started the final eight games of the year, tallying 48 combined tackles (34 solo), two sacks, and one interception.

He was all over the field during the Christmas Eve victory against the Broncos and looked exactly like the franchise-building talent that the Raiders hoped for during the 2016 NFL Draft. According to Jon Gruden, Joseph turned a corner at the end of the season and became an integral part of the team.

Karl Joseph has asserted himself as a leader on our football team, and those are two young guys that we are going to count on.”
Now, however, the opinion on Joseph appears to be changing in the Raiders' front office. Will he see his time with the team come to an end early due to the new draft picks in town? Whether the decision to select Abram has an effect on Joseph's status with the team remains to be seen, but the Oakland Raiders are running out of time to make the decision.

The deadline for exercising fifth-year options is May 3, which is next Friday. If Mayock and Gruden don't make a decision, Joseph will play out the final year of his rookie deal and will then be a prime candidate for free agency in 2020.

Of course, the duo could simply be giving Joseph a warning about his future. If he doesn't produce and continue to grow into a trusted starter in 2019, he will be out the door and headed for a different team. The Raiders already have a replacement in town, so parting ways won't be difficult.

Article by “247 Sports “

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
I’d at least like to hear their asking price for him... guy would be an upgrade for our roster for sure and solidify the only major positional weakness we have at the moment.

We could try and move Taco or T Crawford as well to lower the asking price. We have too many bodies along the DL as it is. Would be nice to flip a guy who help get us some talent at a thinner position

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I like the player, but not sure if they would want his contract and to have to pick up the 5 year option on yet another player.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Not a Collins fan at all, but what we'd essentially be doing is trading a starter at a much more important position who costs big money this year, for a starter at a less important position who you get cheap this year then costs big money next year.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
I'd be interested but not for Collins straight up. First, they'd have to believe we could replace Collins with no drop off in play or depth. Then, the Raiders would have to add a pick to the deal.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'd rather trade him for a guy like Joseph that has first round talent for Richard to work with than wait for a 3rd (more likely 4th or 5th round) comp pick in 2021.

Does Joseph have first round talent, or was he just projected to have it 3 years ago. He certainly hasn't taken the NFL by storm.

Reaction score
I'd rather trade him for a guy like Joseph that has first round talent for Richard to work with than wait for a 3rd (more likely 4th or 5th round) comp pick in 2021.

Don’t mind Joseph, but I rather trade Taco for him than our starting RT. As much as I don’t love Lael, it’s a big transition at OL to move to Connor Williams and McGovern might not be ready to start at LG. Give the OL one more year

Sydla

Reaction score
Does Joseph have first round talent, or was he just projected to have it 3 years ago. He certainly hasn't taken the NFL by storm.

He's been above average through his career and pretty good last year.

He's also better than Heath and Iloka.

Sydla

Reaction score
I'd be interested but not for Collins straight up. First, they'd have to believe we could replace Collins with no drop off in play or depth. Then, the Raiders would have to add a pick to the deal.

People are overrating Collins thinking the Raiders would have to give us Joseph and a pick.

Sydla

Reaction score
Not a Collins fan at all, but what we'd essentially be doing is trading a starter at a much more important position who costs big money this year, for a starter at a less important position who you get cheap this year then costs big money next year.

Joseph would cost less than $7MM next year, hardly "big" money. The 5th year option for safeties in 2018 was only $6.3MM.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
I like the player, but not sure if they would want his contract and to have to pick up the 5 year option on yet another player.
This year is only 2 million, the 5th year option that hasn't been picked up would be pretty high though. But you could probably get him to sign a new contract before the trade goes through.

Sydla

Reaction score
This year is only 2 million, the 5th year option that hasn't been picked up would be pretty high though. But you could probably get him to sign a new contract before the trade goes through.

His 5th year option would likely be less than $7MM.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
He was over-drafted a bit. He should have been a 2nd-3rd round pick, but he's a guy that fits what the Cowboys are looking for. He's a strong safety that can still play back in coverage as well. Had a lot of picks in college.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Yes and now would be the time to do it. hasn't had a breakout year yet and fought the injury bug a little bit last year. But his play was way way better than heath's

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He's been above average through his career and pretty good last year.

He's also better than Heath and Iloka.

Above average doesn't necessarily mean 1st round talent, plus he's only been an every game starter one season out of his career. Part of why he was drated so high was he had 5 INTs his senior year, and he only has 3 in 3 years in the NFL.