Any interest in Karl Joseph?

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
Again, there is an entire new front office and coaching staff in Oakland. They could be just going in a different direction. I mean you are also talking about the franchise that traded away their two star players in Cooper and Mack as well. There is a total rebuild and culture change out there, so moving on from an effective safety isn't exactly strange given the circumstances.

Chuckie ain't new just sayin. In the world of tires, he's a retread

Reactions: BAT

DanA

Reaction score
From what I am hearing, this guy is Roy Williams 2.0. No cover skills.

I’m actually pretty happy with Heath/Woods in coverage. Having a safety that is a bit better against the run would be an asset IMO.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I believe that today is the last day for teams to decide whether or not to pick up the 5th year options on players, and that includes Karl Joseph. I'm very curious to see whether or not the Raiders pick it up, or if this serves as any sort of a deadline to trade him?

Now I see where the Raiders have decided not to pick it up:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...s-declining-fifth-year-option-on-karl-joseph/

Last edited:

32BellyOption

Reaction score
KJ would be a HUGE upgrade to Heath. Big hitter, can cover and great ball skills. Like Amari all KJ needs is a new zip code to jump start his career. And I’m sure Coach Richard could maximize KJ’s talents.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
KJ would be a HUGE upgrade to Heath. Big hitter, can cover and great ball skills. Like Amari all KJ needs is a new zip code to jump start his career. And I’m sure Coach Richard could maximize KJ’s talents.

I think it would be a great end to an offseason that began with Gregory getting suspended and David Irving quitting football.

Adding a former first round pick at safety would be the icing on the cake for an excellent offseason of adding talent to an already well-stocked young team.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
I'm very curious to see whether or not the Raiders pick it up, or if this serves as any sort of a deadline to trade him?

I think the interest and his value for any teams considering trading for him goes way down without the 5th year option. He becomes a one year rental at this point.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think the interest and his value for any teams considering trading for him goes way down without the 5th year option. He becomes a one year rental at this point.

I agree. That's why I felt that today was a bit of a trade deadline.

Sandyf

Reaction score
Would agree that Joseph is a good tackler, has good ball skills and a big hitter but cover skills are really lacking. Not saying not an upgrade over Heath just not what you need in the NFL today as far as coverage. His size would be a great concern to Richard since he is only 5'10" and Richard does prefer them to be at least 6'0". Just have to look at who was available at 58 and if they hadn't have taken Hill, it would have been Thornhill who is really more of a FS and taller to pair with Xavier Woods.

Plankton

Reaction score
Joseph has had a hard time staying on the field. He's a guy who hits bigger than his size, and I'm not sure that he holds up that well physically. I'd be leery of bringing him in with his amount of time missed with injuries.

bodi

Reaction score
THERE SHOULD BE MORE IMO

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Karl Joseph improved all over the field in Year 3 <a href="https://t.co/ScYjq8U0na">pic.twitter.com/ScYjq8U0na</a></p>&mdash; Pro Football Focus (@PFF) <a href="">April 3, 2019</a></blockquote>

AKATheRake

Reaction score
Oakland just informed Karl Joseph's camp yesterday that they will not be exercising the 5th year option on his rookie contract.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Does Joseph have first round talent, or was he just projected to have it 3 years ago. He certainly hasn't taken the NFL by storm.
I haven't followed his career but i did see or hear a breakdown of his first X games versus his next X games. Night & day difference & indicated a guy who the switch may very well have turned on. Last year was plagued by injury I believe. So, you might get a guy who is primed to contribute if healthy.

Again, i don't have a strong feeling either way just saying its probably worth some in depth analysis.

cowboyfan4lyfe

Reaction score
I’m actually pretty happy with Heath/Woods in coverage. Having a safety that is a bit better against the run would be an asset IMO.
You have Kavon Fraizer for those duties. He was injured last year. I think it's a bad idea to give up Collins for this guy.

Sydla

Reaction score
2nd stint with Oakland

Oy vey. He last coached in Oakland almost two decades ago.

"New" in quotes was because he was in his first year as Oakland's new coach and like any new coach with a different team, he's going to get rid of players he doesn't think fits and bring in guys he thinks do fit.

Sydla

Reaction score
Oakland just informed Karl Joseph's camp yesterday that they will not be exercising the 5th year option on his rookie contract.

How does that work? Can a team trade for him and then pick up the option now?