Any players worth trading away?

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I’ve got an interesting take. I think Blake Jarwin’s stock is as high as it’ll ever be after the way he’s closed the season. I also feel like Shultz can grow into a comparable player.

Trade him for a 3rd/4th and draft a stud TE in the second where you’ll probably have your pick of the 2-5th best TE’s in a very deep draft class. Any one of those guys can play and has the chance to be a 1.

That extra draft pick will most likely turn into a contributor as well as McClay and company draft.

Who would trade for Jarwin when it is a deep TE draft class? The top ten of them appear to have a higher ceiling than Blake.

Verdict

Reaction score
I like this idea... you trade older, more costly players and keep the younger cheaper assets.

Yes, provided that you have some reasonable substitute. Lewis was a high 3rd round pick if I remember correctly. He was our best performing corner prior to Richard showing up on the scene.
Why do fans hate having depth?
Dont worry. We can always trade Dexter Coakley for a kings ransom.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Maybe. But the Cowboys could trade away Byron Jones, start Lewis and maybe not miss a beat and save about $13 million per year on the cap.

They could also use the pick from the Byron Jones trade to add a young CB. In the short run the team is probably slightly better paying Byron. In the longer term such a trade might be a better deal.

There's only so many all-pro caliber CBs. We've seen that Lewis isn't near Byron right now. It's the same adage as trading Lawrence. Yes you get a pick back, but the chance of the player you selecting being as good as Byron or Tank is slim to none.

Last edited:

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
....we're inconsistent with him now. And this stupid assumption that Zeke is somehow going to crash our offense even more is ridiculous.

Dak is more effective without Zeke, by the way

I don't know what it's going to take for some of you to stop pretending Zeke is the next Smith for the Cowboys. He's not, he's not playing in the 90s, elite RBs don't win you Super Bowls, and he just sucked up the joint against a terrible run D. We need that first rounder and to avoid that big contract he wants. Move on and stop getting attached to RBs.

For those that think RBs make a difference at all. Check out the graph.

tm1119

Reaction score
Jourdan Lewis might be the most overrated player on this board....weird how people latch onto backups and insist they should be starting without any kind of evidence that the player is capable. Lewis looked ok when he played, but nothing special that would make me want to start him. I think he’s better suited in the slot anyway

817Gill

Reaction score
Who would trade for Jarwin when it is a deep TE draft class? The top ten of them appear to have a higher ceiling than Blake.
Teams have needs they want to improve in FA/Trade as well as the draft. Just because a team wants a TE upgrade doesn’t mean they will only conserve that for the draft. By your logic teams would draft their whole roster year in and year out.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Teams have needs they want to improve in FA/Trade as well as the draft. Just because a team wants a TE upgrade doesn’t mean they will only conserve that for the draft. By your logic teams would draft their whole roster year in and year out.

I realize all that but I disagree about teams wanting to trade for Jarwin. Even if someone wanted him, in no way would they give up a 3rd or 4th.

My point was that this particular draft does not fare well for a Jarwin trade, it is too deep.

817Gill

Reaction score
I realize all that but I disagree about teams wanting to trade for Jarwin. Even if someone wanted him, in no way would they give up a 3rd or 4th.

My point was that this particular draft does not fare well for a Jarwin trade, it is too deep.

Yeah I get that. I guess my main thing is not wanting to have three B to B- tight ends on the roster. I hope we don’t get too complacent with what we have and make a move for a guy who can be an A.

Swaim won’t be resigned, which leaves us with Jarwin, Shultz, and Rico. I see Shultz as just a notch worse than Jarwin with 2 years less NFL experience, he’ll surpass him sooner rather than later as it’s his natural position. Jarwin was a WR in college.

A stud rookie, Shultz, and Rico as the project with a new OC would be fine with me. Especially since Rico can block now