Any position you oppose in 2nd?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
We have many "needs" I think you would agree. The example would be that I wouldn't take a QB, RB or say WR just because they are BPA. Reach to me means trading up which I'm not in favor of either. BPA of our position needs. Right?
I think we could use any position though.

This stuff usually works itself out that there's always a guy on your board left that you can use and that you need.

But me personally? I Don't think you can go wrong at any position. What happens if Zeke gets hurt? What happens if Amari Cooper gets hurt? That's why I'm not against BPA. Sean Lee got hurt and we inserted LVE.

Verdict

Reaction score
Not really, other than the obvious of no kickers or Fullbacks...

Anytime a team get a very good or great player, it does not really matter what position that player plays when looked back.

The Cowboys do their best in the draft when they take players that they are "comfortable" with long before draft day.

It was common knowledge that most or everyone with the Cowboys was comfortable with Frederick, Martin, Tyron, Vander Esch, Zeke, Dak etc. long before draft day.

On the flip side, many of their busts or just OK players were last minute decisions because the players they really wanted got taken a few spots ahead.

The all time example was in the 2009 draft where the only player they liked in the 2nd round was the Center Max Unger and Seattle traded up to take him a few spots ahead of the Cowboys pick. At that point they traded down and then threw a dart at the draft board where they had several players with similar grades and had not really vetted many of them in great detail.

This is the first year in a while that I haven't felt like there was a position that we should stay away from with our initial draft pick. Probably punter, kicker, and long snapper. I'm not even sure that I would pass on an outstanding full back in the second if the value was there.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Hockenson looks like a player but I have to admit, trading up from 57 to the 30s costs you a 3rd and likely more and doing that for a TE?

I'm a fan of his so yes, I'd say he's worth it.

The kid just attacks would-be tacklers...really like him.

Verdict

Reaction score
I think we could use any position though.

This stuff usually works itself out that there's always a guy on your board left that you can use and that you need.

But me personally? I Don't think you can go wrong at any position. What happens if Zeke gets hurt? What happens if Amari Cooper gets hurt? That's why I'm not against BPA. Sean Lee got hurt and we inserted LVE.

I seem to disagree with you often but this post is spot on. Good post.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
How do you know that a second round rookie is going to be better than Dak? You could get Brady or you could get Russell. The draft isn't a given.

I'm not opposed to drafting a QB if that's your question but I just don't see any rookie QB coming in right now and being better than Dak. It's possible but highly unlikely. I would prefer to go with the proven guy and keep building pieces around him.

same thought im going with. well i should have thrown in a cannon for an arm, but really taht doesnt make for a qb either. Oh btw, hows the mike white lovers doing. wasnt that guy supposed to have the job by now?

gmoney112

Reaction score
LB, C, RB, G

It'd have to be a very good player for me to take CB.

T and WR are also positions where they'd need to be BPA by a decent margin. I'd see T over WR, unless the WR could be a dominant slot guy and returner, as well as the "gadget play" guy.

With this class, it'll probably be DT or TE. Quite possibly S since end of 2nd round seems to be where most of the value will be

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
same thought im going with. well i should have thrown in a cannon for an arm, but really taht doesnt make for a qb either. Oh btw, hows the mike white lovers doing. wasnt that guy supposed to have the job by now?
Yep thought it was funny when guys said Rush or White would take the starting job haha. I like White but still needs some developing, the preseason could be big for him and maybe he overtakes Rush as the backup. Unless of course we draft a guy.

I'm planning on doing a mock draft with some trades and while I haven't really got it going I was throwing around the idea of trading Collins and sliding Williams to RT. Tons of OL in this draft and would grab one of them Wisconsin kids to play LG. With the pick we traded Collins with going after a DT or maybe TE. 3rd round was thinking that safety from Delaware I believe. Heard some news that Bryce Love will fall because of injury so maybe trade up in the 4th to get him.

Defense needs DT and safety, maybe LB depth depending on Wilson and Lee. Other than that I'm going offense. OL, TE, RB and receiver.

silvrNblue

Reaction score
If we get to the last pick, and there is a decent kicker there and we don't have a name on the board, I'd say take one if for nothing else to compete with Maher and maybe get him to hit from inside the 50 more consistently. Or hey maybe you find a pull a gem from the turd water..the LSU kicker Cole Tracy comes to mind, kid can kick pretty damn good in the 40's,3's, 20's...

John813

Reaction score
Is this sarcasm? If so, well played.

Sarcasm.

I would like one of the top safeties or tackles at 58. Just depends on how it falls.
Honestly, I would be ok with just about any trench or skill position. If a good DE fell that would be ideal too especially if they FT tag Lawrence again.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Coop, Gallup, Hurns and Austin, I'd be against going higher than 3rd for a WR.
I understand why you say that, but here’s the thing. Look at great teams like New England. They have the best QB in NFL history, yet have drafted 7 QBs since Tom Brady became a starter. In almost every case, NE developed those QBs into good enough players to get a high draft pick in a trade. Jimmy Garropolo is the latest example. He was a second round pick that turned into a first round pick in the SF trade.

Drafting great players is always a good move for your organization because it adds value to your team. You can still find other players at other positions too. When you draft by need only, you miss a lot of excellent players.

Pants

Reaction score
ask me on april 15th or so to see if our roster has changed in any way, including who the OC will be; if not, then I am a BPA guy, almost with no hesitations...as far as RB (for example), I am ok with that assuming we have a new OC that can utilize a 2nd guy....BRING ON THE DRAFT (gotta get my spreadsheet together)