Any reason to believe Dak era will surpass Romo era?

uvaballa

Reaction score
That’s like saying Witten or Ware couldn’t get it done?

Dak could become part of a championship team here but that doesn’t make him an elite or prolific passing qb.
You don’t need to be elite to win in the NFL. Many non elite QBs have won many games and made it to the SB. Not sure why you’re caught up in have a great passer.

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
If this dysfunctional organization couldn’t build a good enough team around Romo why do we believe they will around Dak?

Aaron Rodgers couldn't win in this Everydown Te scheme without a great te. Neither can Romo or Dak. It's acceptable to have a scrub te leading the charge in DC Nation.

Pro football focus ranks the te position tops of the list in position of need but our tes still played every snap . Yeah let's extend these tes and coaches so we'll have to watch scrub tes for another 5+ years and counting

rags747

Reaction score
I think we reached our peak this year. Same OC and we will be lucky to get the same result. Imagine if we had a young stud at qb to look forward too. I just see more of the same next year unfortunately.

rags747

Reaction score
You don’t need to be elite to win in the NFL. Many non elite QBs have won many games and made it to the SB. Not sure why you’re caught up in have a great passer.
3 out of the 4 qb’s in the Championship games are Elite, the remaining one has the potential to be Elite.
I would say it is pretty important.

zenmastersauce

Reaction score
3 out of the 4 qb’s in the Championship games are Elite, the remaining one has the potential to be Elite.
But while you say that you also leave out the other factors that contribute to those QBs being what they are. Brady and Brees are exception because they are historically great. Mahomes is one QB that at a very young age makes his team probably better than anyone else (which is extremely rare). And Goff? I do not think Goff is elite level at all. He is young and has quite a ways to go before getting to that peak. And if you think about it Nick Foles is not an all time great either but he beat Brady in the SB. It is not just about an elite QB because if it was Greenbay would have been in the playoffs right?

rags747

Reaction score
But while you say that you also leave out the other factors that contribute to those QBs being what they are. Brady and Brees are exception because they are historically great. Mahomes is one QB that at a very young age makes his team probably better than anyone else (which is extremely rare). And Goff? I do not think Goff is elite level at all. He is young and has quite a ways to go before getting to that peak. And if you think about it Nick Foles is not an all time great either but he beat Brady in the SB. It is not just about an elite QB because if it was Greenbay would have been in the playoffs right?
Goff was drafted #1 overall because of Elite skills in college. Dak was drafted at the end of round 4 because he did not possess Elite skills in college. Based off of that I would place money on Goff being the better qb 10 years in.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Because it’s an easier path. Especially with our dysfunctional organization.

Why would anyone want a lesser QB?

Let’s see. Would I rather have Trent Dilfer or John Elway? Lol

zenmastersauce

Reaction score
Goff was drafted #1 overall because of Elite skills in college. Dak was drafted at the end of round 4 because he did not possess Elite skills in college. Based off of that I would place money on Goff being the better qb 10 years in.
Because nfl draft rank is always an clear indicator of talent. What was Rodgers drafted at again? Brady? Wilson? I wonder.

rags747

Reaction score
Because nfl draft rank is always an clear indicator of talent. What was Rodgers drafted at again? Brady? Wilson? I wonder.
I was comparing Dak to Goff,Brees,Brady and Mahomes. I can compare Dak to Wilson and Rogers if you like.

uvaballa

Reaction score
That’s one year. Plus Brady and the Pats organization is just in a league of its own. Can you name the elite QBs currently in the NFL? Everyone’s definition is different.

uvaballa

Reaction score

LOL how has Rodgers and Brees faired if it’s easy? Everyone will point to Brady which is more of an anomaly since he has the best coach in the league.

You really think John Elways just grow on trees?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
LOL how has Rodgers and Brees faired if it’s easy? Everyone will point to Brady which is more of an anomaly since he has the best coach in the league.

You really think John Elways just grow on trees?
That’s not the point. I’m just saying what I’d rather have. Just like we’d like a greater HC or GM. I’d like our chances with a greater QB.

If I’m going down the list of QB’s in the league, Dak is wayyyyy down my list. And Romo wasn’t near the top of my list either.

uvaballa

Reaction score
That’s not the point. I’m just saying what I’d rather have. Just like we’d like a greater HC or GM. I’d like our chances with a greater QB.
Where are you getting this greater QB? Please tell me. You going to draft a guy and hope he pans out?

It's easier to find a better coach but guys don't want to work for JJ.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Where are you getting this greater QB? Please tell me. You going to draft a guy and hope he pans out?

It's easier to find a better coach but guys don't want to work for JJ.
The draft would be a great place to start. And it doesn’t have to be this year. It could be next. Regardless , if we can’t find a better QB I’d still want one because I believe like most GM’s is the foundation for success. It makes your job easier if you have a greater QB to build around. I’d draft a QB every year until I found a great one.

Skillit

Reaction score
There are no limitations as a passer....I am getting sick of the same old tired inaccurate mantra of that.

Well ok, someone is on their Dak high-horse today.

Look buddy, I love the intangibles Dak brings to the game, but a pure drop back, dart shooting TD machine he is not.

He makes awesome throws, then he makes bad ones....in a few instances—awful ones.

But we got him in the 4th round and if we can do what Seattle did with RWilson, we have a shot for a window of Super Bowls.

I’m not attacking your precious Dak. But if you think he’s on the level with Mahomes—as in, there are no limitations—well, you’re a typical fan with a crush.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score

Stafford, Rivers and Winston are all prolific passers and there are many others that haven't won anything. People get too wrapped up into one position, it still comes down to building a complete team and making plays when you have to.

Daktozekecoop

Reaction score
Well as of right now imo Dallas has the best defense they have had in 25 or so years. Something Romo never quite had. If he had a great defense imo opinion he would have won multiple super bowls. We have a back who is very Emmitt like. An upgrade over Murray. A good/great bunch of receivers. Cooper is a beast, one of our greatest pieces of good fortune in team history imo. With a fast developing tight end. Not Witten though. Our Oline has great parts but is well off of where it needs to be and where it has just recently been. I think this is the type of team Jason has wanted. With a few new parts, another lineman, a safety etc. A maturing Dak, and I think we have a championship caliber team. I would like a brain at OC. Kubiak would have been good. If by some miracle chance we manage to get a good mind at OC then yes, I think we can get a bye in the playoffs. That will make having a great defense more valuable and then I see Dak shinning on the big stage. I have hope on the OC front, because finally the light has been seen in the draft room. If we can grow there and get Gallup and Vander Esch and other gems, then we can certainly grow in our position coaching choices.

Romotil45

Reaction score
If this dysfunctional organization couldn’t build a good enough team around Romo why do we believe they will around Dak?

I agree with other posters that have stated that we are drafting better lately than we did while Romo was in the league. Daks won one playoff game already Romo won two playoff games so the bar is pretty low. We need to get us some war daddy defensive tackles our run defense this year proved to be faulty. The Colts put up a lot of rushing yrds on us and the Rams killed us in the run game. There is hope for the future. Im still not convinced Dak is the guy however.. He has not improved as a player, he is basically the same player he was at Miss St. see his NFL scouting report weaknesses below. He still has difficulty going through his progressions and quite frankly he some times throws the ball right at defenders. Hes had several throws that should have been picks dropped. He lacks the velocity to throw into tight windows and struggles throwing the deep outs and comebacks consistently. That being said we can win with Dak his intangables are off the charts however to win a championship with him you will need an Elite Defense and an Elite Run Game.

NFL Scouting Report Weaknesses
  • Inconsistency mars almost every aspect of his game, especially mechanically
  • Rocks back with a slight hitch in his delivery when putting zip on the ball
  • Can wind up with longer release when going down the field
  • Tendency to release the ball a tad early, resulting in a sailing or fluttering pass
  • Needs to vary the pace of the ball to match the situation/route (no bullets on screens)
  • Location and accuracy are generally poor, makes receivers adjust to off-target balls and minimizes yards after catch
  • Makes very poor decisions at times, forces passes into coverage
  • Footwork can get sloppy, will fall off his base throwing to his left, loses accuracy/velocity
  • Doesn’t possess the heralded “power arm” that he was once rumored to have
  • Deep ball accuracy is lacking, touch passing needs a compass
  • Does not throw with anticipation, poor timing leads to late throws to all areas of the field
  • Can be confused and fooled by more intricate coverage schemes (ex. Alabama’s pattern reading)
  • Lacks accuracy and velocity when throwing on the move
  • Not a great athlete, heavy-footed and lacking lateral quickness and explosiveness as a runner

Blackrain

Reaction score
I agree with other posters that have stated that we are drafting better lately than we did while Romo was in the league. Daks won one playoff game already Romo won two playoff games so the bar is pretty low. We need to get us some war daddy defensive tackles our run defense this year proved to be faulty. The Colts put up a lot of rushing yrds on us and the Rams killed us in the run game. There is hope for the future. Im still not convinced Dak is the guy however.. He has not improved as a player, he is basically the same player he was at Miss St. see his NFL scouting report weaknesses below. He still has difficulty going through his progressions and quite frankly he some times throws the ball right at defenders. Hes had several throws that should have been picks dropped. He lacks the velocity to throw into tight windows and struggles throwing the deep outs and comebacks consistently. That being said we can win with Dak his intangables are off the charts however to win a championship with him you will need an Elite Defense and an Elite Run Game.

NFL Scouting Report Weaknesses
  • Inconsistency mars almost every aspect of his game, especially mechanically
  • Rocks back with a slight hitch in his delivery when putting zip on the ball
  • Can wind up with longer release when going down the field
  • Tendency to release the ball a tad early, resulting in a sailing or fluttering pass
  • Needs to vary the pace of the ball to match the situation/route (no bullets on screens)
  • Location and accuracy are generally poor, makes receivers adjust to off-target balls and minimizes yards after catch
  • Makes very poor decisions at times, forces passes into coverage
  • Footwork can get sloppy, will fall off his base throwing to his left, loses accuracy/velocity
  • Doesn’t possess the heralded “power arm” that he was once rumored to have
  • Deep ball accuracy is lacking, touch passing needs a compass
  • Does not throw with anticipation, poor timing leads to late throws to all areas of the field
  • Can be confused and fooled by more intricate coverage schemes (ex. Alabama’s pattern reading)
  • Lacks accuracy and velocity when throwing on the move
  • Not a great athlete, heavy-footed and lacking lateral quickness and explosiveness as a runner
* Lost at dodge ball in 3rd grade