Any thoughts on Marquise Blair, S from Utah?

Sydla

Reaction score
From what I have read, he seems like a decent prospect. Decent size at 6-2. Tested fairly well at the combine.

What are his draft prospects? Haven't seen him talked about a lot around here.

Carson

Reaction score
I’ve read he will go around rounds 3-4. I’ve only seen minor film on him but came away impressed. Long and rangy and has played multiple schemes.

He needs a year in the weight room. He’s listed at 190 and is smaller than that. He will get ran over by Barkley, Peterson and Guice.

Big thing that concerns me “Blair plays the game with an aggressive field demeanor that fuels his passion to race into the action, ready to strike on sight. However, his lack of discipline hurt his team with targeting penalties and by over-running responsibilities against the run and pass.”

Mr_437

Reaction score
I’ve read he will go around rounds 3-4. I’ve only seen minor film on him but came away impressed. Long and rangy and has played multiple schemes.

He needs a year in the weight room. He’s listed at 190 and is smaller than that. He will get ran over by Barkley, Peterson and Guice.

Big thing that concerns me “Blair plays the game with an aggressive field demeanor that fuels his passion to race into the action, ready to strike on sight. However, his lack of discipline hurt his team with targeting penalties and by over-running responsibilities against the run and pass.”
190 at S? Ahh he's injury prone...haha

kskboys

Reaction score
Doesn't turn well. That always bothers me about any DB, and that's why Heath looks so bad at times. Pass.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
190 too light, and don't need a year long project for him to add weight.
Unless they get a S in round 2 or 3, then use a 7th on him.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
From what I have read, he seems like a decent prospect. Decent size at 6-2. Tested fairly well at the combine.

What are his draft prospects? Haven't seen him talked about a lot around here.

Physically:
  • He is 6'1-1/4" which is good. Almost all of the top Safeties are in the 5-11 to 6-0 range.
  • He has a very small waist.
  • He weighed in at 195 but looks lighter in games.
  • He has tiny hands which along with the small waist likely indicate a small frame. He might struggle to even maintain the 195.
  • He shows good speed in games and had good forty and ten yard times.

As a Player:
  • He is an erratic player.
  • He will make big jarring hits when the ball carrier is out in the open, but is often just a "pile inspector" when there is heavy traffic in the area.
  • He makes a lot of high hits that would be penalties in the NFL.
  • He often gets blocked out of the play fairly easily by TEs and at time by WRs.
  • He often does not wrap up when making the big hits.
  • His tackling form/technique is a mess. He often awkwardly ducks his head when tackling.
  • He tends to over-run a lot of plays. I'm not sure if that's just from coming in to fast or if it's a physical limitation in regards to the ability to break-down.
  • Only 2 INTs in 2 years of starting at Utah.
  • He was a JUCO transfer due to grades.
  • His style looks very undisciplined; although, NFL coaches might be able to improve that.
  • The two years in JUCO might have delayed his development.

Summary:
  • He would need to play FS in the NFL due to his small frame.
  • He has the required speed but he needs a massive amount of coaching.
  • I think an interview or feedback from college coaches would be critical to get a feel for his mental makeup.

Reminds me of: Ahmad Dixon
  • Not physically, but similar undisciplined, go for the bit hit play style.
  • Dixon was a 7th round pick by the Cowboys in 2014.
  • The Cowboys liked how he would run and hit, but they struggled to get him to play with discipline.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
I think he is our fall back plan in the middle rounds if we don't go safety in the 2nd. :popcorn:

The real concern is...whoever we take @ 2/58...that isn't a safety....he better be worth it...and come in here and start. Because I hate the idea of this....

2/58. Damien Harris (not a starter)
3/90. Trysten Hill (not a starter)
4th. Blair (not a starter)
4th. TE (not a starter)
5th. LBer (not a starter)

kskboys

Reaction score
Physically:
  • He is 6'1-1/4" which is good. Almost all of the top Safeties are in the 5-11 to 6-0 range.
  • He has a very small waist.
  • He weighed in at 195 but looks lighter in games.
  • He has tiny hands which along with the small waist likely indicate a small frame. He might struggle to even maintain the 195.
  • He shows good speed in games and had good forty and ten yard times.

As a Player:
  • He is an erratic player.
  • He will make big jarring hits when the ball carrier is out in the open, but is often just a "pile inspector" when there is heavy traffic in the area.
  • He makes a lot of high hits that would be penalties in the NFL.
  • He often gets blocked out of the play fairly easily by TEs and at time by WRs.
  • He often does not wrap up when making the big hits.
  • His tackling form/technique is a mess. He often awkwardly ducks his head when tackling.
  • He tends to over-run a lot of plays. I'm not sure if that's just from coming in to fast or if it's a physical limitation in regards to the ability to break-down.
  • Only 2 INTs in 2 years of starting at Utah.
  • He was a JUCO transfer due to grades.
  • His style looks very undisciplined; although, NFL coaches might be able to improve that.
  • The two years in JUCO might have delayed his development.

Summary:
  • He would need to play FS in the NFL due to his small frame.
  • He has the required speed but he needs a massive amount of coaching.
  • I think an interview or feedback from college coaches would be critical to get a feel for his mental makeup.

Reminds me of: Ahmad Dixon
  • Not physically, but similar undisciplined, go for the bit hit play style.
  • Dixon was a 7th round pick by the Cowboys in 2014.
  • The Cowboys liked how he would run and hit, but they struggled to get him to play with discipline.
That's one of our primary problems when drafting a S, we tend to ignore coverage skills and instincts and draft big hitters instead.

kskboys

Reaction score
I think he is our fall back plan in the middle rounds if we don't go safety in the 2nd. :popcorn:

The real concern is...whoever we take @ 2/58...that isn't a safety....he better be worth it...and come in here and start. Because I hate the idea of this....

2/58. Damien Harris (not a starter)
3/90. Trysten Hill (not a starter)
4th. Blair (not a starter)
4th. TE (not a starter)
5th. LBer (not a starter)
Are we really seriously dumb enough to take a RB that high?

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Are we really seriously dumb enough to take a RB that high?

That's the rumors going around. I'd be pissed. Especially since we got a kid here @ Boise State that I think is better...and you can probably get him w/ your late 4th.

Alexander Mattison RB Boise St.

Kid can carry the rock....durable. Can catch it out of the backfield. How many backs do you see get 40 carries in a game and still have some juice left?

http://www.espn.com/college-football/player/_/id/4048244/alexander-mattison

Mr_437

Reaction score
That's the rumors going around. I'd be pissed. Especially since we got a kid here @ Boise State that I think is better...and you can probably get him w/ your late 4th.

Alexander Mattison RB Boise St.

Kid can carry the rock....durable. Can catch it out of the backfield. How many backs do you see get 40 carries in a game and still have some juice left?

http://www.espn.com/college-football/player/_/id/4048244/alexander-mattison
No worries, Mattison is the only hope to keep the streak alive and hit the Boise pipeline quota. Good RB tho.