1. Read the latest Dallas Cowboys News!
    #dallascowboys · Cowboys Fan Zone

Any update on OT Josh Ball?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by quickccc, May 18, 2022.

1. quickccc

quickccc Well-Known Member

12,308 Messages
    10,698 Likes Received
    Has there been any latest update on 2nd year swing OT Josh Ball ?

I've been hearing 2nd year Josh Ball missed out on all of this recent 2022 rookie camp.
    But no injury report or reason was given as why he was out.

For such a raw green inexperience player who got hurt early in last year's training camp, missed preseason and all of last year's regular season with that high ankle sprain, it is key for him to get
    as much camp rep in as possible to catch up.

2. Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country Well-Known Member

12,670 Messages
    16,125 Likes Received
    Can the draftees from a previous year attend rookie camps? Seems like it's undrafted players from the previous year who received no playing time.

3. CalPolyTechnique

CalPolyTechnique Well-Known Member

23,998 Messages
    38,503 Likes Received
    Don’t know but it would be nice if we hit on a 4th round OT.

4. jrumann59

jrumann59 Well-Known Member

CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
    14,459 Messages
    8,205 Likes Received
    usually rookies and 1 year vets deep down the roster PS are at rookie mini camps. Tyler Coyle was at the most recent one as was Alarcon

America's Cowboy likes this.
  5. darthseinfeld

darthseinfeld 26 years of 26 years

CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
    28,392 Messages
    31,993 Likes Received
    Im not sure of his eligibility. It may just be a UDFA thing

6. Vinnie2u

Vinnie2u Well-Known Member

CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
    7,391 Messages
    10,389 Likes Received
    Dallas has done a good job of "stashing" players on the IL lately.. I commend them.. Josh Ball just took a redshirt year. If he really was injured, it wasn't a year long injury.. Why take up a roster spot if he's not ready to contribute..

7. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

13,847 Messages
    7,346 Likes Received
    The problem with that is they lose out on an entire year of practice.

8. fivetwos

fivetwos Well-Known Member

16,205 Messages
    21,094 Likes Received
    That headline made me think I was getting one lol.

NorthwestDallas40 likes this.
  9. Bullflop

Bullflop Cowboys Diehard

23,281 Messages
    28,682 Likes Received
    There seems to be something going on with Josh Ball that isn't being divulged for whatever reasons. Maybe something will be forthcoming in the days to come. It seems a bit strange that we haven't been informed of his situation, though. Most of us hoped he'd, at least, be a backup, if nothing else.
    I'm certain many of us are fairly puzzled by this. I know I am . . . let's see if the media has an explanation. :huh:

Last edited: May 18, 2022
  10. quickccc

12,308 Messages
    10,698 Likes Received
    Issac Alarcon ?
    it seems like he's been on this practice squad/team like forever.
    I'm not seeing why we are continuing to invest in him.

11. fivetwos

fivetwos Well-Known Member

16,205 Messages
    21,094 Likes Received
    I think there's been some sort of roster exemption on him. Not sure if that still applies.

12. DandyTom64

DandyTom64 Well-Known Member

405 Messages
    506 Likes Received
    Probably sells alot of Cowboy jerseys in Mexico. They push alot of their crap over here so Jerry's just trying to get even.

JoeyBoy718, bigE79 and Kolemmitt like this.
  13. jazzcat22

jazzcat22 Moderator

CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
    64,154 Messages
    76,080 Likes Received
    Seems they are relying on youth along the OL to fill the voids. They must feel pretty confident about all of them. And no, it is not because they are cheap to avoid paying a vet player.

Tyler Smith to replace Williams after 4 years. As Williams was not old. Same for Steele replacing Collins. At least Steele has some decent experience for filling in for Collins the past 2 years.
    Going with Ball, or others for swing tackle as it seems like rookies or 2 year PS player types vying for that spot.

They best hope they are correct. As there is no experience for depth along an OL that with 2 players with not a lot of play time, plus a rookie. I guess Steele can be considered more play times though.

America's Cowboy likes this.
  14. jazzcat22

jazzcat22 Moderator

CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
    64,154 Messages
    76,080 Likes Received
    This is his 3rd year with the team.

Bobhaze and America's Cowboy like this.
  15. Typhus

Typhus Captain Catfish

15,833 Messages
    17,956 Likes Received
    Teams with IPP players are allowed a roster exemption I believe.
    Alarcon doesnt count against the 90 man roster and once teams cut down to 53 can be waived and if they clear can be brought back and returned to the PS.

America's Cowboy and quickccc like this.
  16. quickccc

12,308 Messages
    10,698 Likes Received
    - Per pre-draft, i think i heard where Cowboys had a higher round grade on Josh Ball, than where they ended up taking him (4th round)
    But off field domestic issues caused his stock to fall in the draft, and he was considered great value there.

- I think Ball was even considered a better athlete and prospect than 5th rd pick Matt Waletzko.

- Ball and Waletzko are gonna be so very key for us, because the club has made the decision Not to go with the usual cheap, vet backup swing OTs,
    as they have relied upon in past years.
    No Fleming, ..no Irvin,.. no Nsekhe .... just only inexperience 2nd year and rookie OTs.

17. Cowboyny

Cowboyny Well-Known Member

10,125 Messages
    12,761 Likes Received
    I think he has an exemption as he is under the international prospect.

Bigtex67 and America's Cowboy like this.
  18. Bullflop

Bullflop Cowboys Diehard

23,281 Messages
    28,682 Likes Received
    I wouldn't be surprised if both Alarcon and Coyle were sent packing if they don't impress in the weeks to come. Let's keep tuned in! :huh:

19. Cowboyny

Cowboyny Well-Known Member

10,125 Messages
    12,761 Likes Received
    Ball had a 2nd rd grade for the Cowboys. I wouldn't rule out not signing a veteran swing, they were talking to a former Colts Tackle prior to the draft. It is also very possible they want to give these prospects a real chance to see the field earlier on. When Ball was drafted, many insiders said he could be an immediate swing tackle, but when he got to camp, prior to the injury, he appeared to need more strength. Team may of just used a red shirt season add more weight to his frame.

20. john van brocklin

john van brocklin Captain Comeback

27,448 Messages
    28,612 Likes Received
    not a peep ...