Any Way Jordan Davis Falls to 24?

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Pass2Run, Apr 24, 2022.

1. kskboys

kskboys Well-Known Member

33,149 Messages
    35,823 Likes Received
    We took Osa and Gholston last draft, both of whom are anti-Jerry types.

2. kskboys

33,149 Messages
    35,823 Likes Received
    And that's what it comes down to. Can Quinn get him to play? I have no idea.

Disagree about Poe. He's almost a polar opposite, and Poe never was that great. He was more of a combine baby/looks like Tarzan plays like Jane type. Davis is much more of a football player, so it really comes down to the question of whether our coaching staff can get him to play.

3. Typhus

Typhus Captain Catfish

13,476 Messages
    14,786 Likes Received
    Thats my fear in this draft, Philly ends up draft Davis and we think its tough already to run

Bullflop likes this.
  4. lkelly

lkelly Well-Known Member

4,215 Messages
    4,821 Likes Received
    I'd prefer to sign Poe AND Gerald McCoy to pricey free agent contracts. Get on it Jerry!

kskboys likes this.
  5. Bullflop

Bullflop Cowboys Diehard

CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
    22,126 Messages
    27,157 Likes Received
    NOPE -- not likely to happen, barring the happenstance of all the planets lining up wrong.

I think Jordan Davis may rightfully be one of the primo DTs to be considered in round one.

We'll likely be obliged to move up somewhat drastically to secure someone of that caliber.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2022
    BAT likes this.
  6. quickccc

quickccc Well-Known Member

10,723 Messages
    8,993 Likes Received
    Because the cheap ones are just decent at best ?
    What about past 1 techs that got paid to huge contracts at some point such as Dalvin Thompson, Michael Pierce, Kenny Clark, Linvah Joseph, etc.

kskboys likes this.
  7. Typhus

Typhus Captain Catfish

13,476 Messages
    14,786 Likes Received
    Will be shocked if he slips out of top 10-15

8. gimmesix

gimmesix Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life

29,518 Messages
    23,829 Likes Received
    Don't know if I agree with that. Our tendency is to draft 3-tech types (Odighizuwa, Collins, Hill) in the earlier rounds (second and third) and not draft NT types until late or not at all. Gholston as an end fits the profile of other mid-round ends we've drafted like Joe Jackson, Dorance Armstrong, Charles Tapper, Ryan Russell, etc.

9. BAT

BAT Mr. Fixit

16,897 Messages
    11,414 Likes Received
    THIS^^^^

Davis actually further weaponizes Parsons.

In addition to shoring up the run stopping woes the Cowboys seemingly have suffered since Jimmy.

CowboyoWales likes this.
  10. lk8701

lk8701 Well-Known Member

1,887 Messages
    4,092 Likes Received
    He would make Micah's job much easier.

CowboyoWales and BAT like this.
  11. BAT

BAT Mr. Fixit

16,897 Messages
    11,414 Likes Received
    Those are some garbage DEs you listed.

McClay has not been good when it comes to DL.

12. BAT

BAT Mr. Fixit

16,897 Messages
    11,414 Likes Received
    That official visit only thing giving me hope.

darthseinfeld likes this.
  13. kskboys

33,149 Messages
    35,823 Likes Received
    Very strange how people don't comprehend the NT position and the huge value it has to a D when you have a disruptive one.

BAT likes this.
  14. kskboys

33,149 Messages
    35,823 Likes Received
    He really doesn't. Those others are mostly attempts at finding a DWare. Gholston is more of a guy who will be solid at best, but at the very least should be....well, solid.

Tapper was a pure speed pick. Russell was simply a slug. Joe and Dorance were guys who were unlikely to ever be anything, but MIGHT have turned out to be good.

Osa and Gholston both are completely different types of DE than what we've picked in the past.

15. Typhus

Typhus Captain Catfish

13,476 Messages
    14,786 Likes Received
    If Davis were still around at 24 that would be like passing on Parsons staring at you in the face.

BAT likes this.
  16. Typhus

Typhus Captain Catfish

13,476 Messages
    14,786 Likes Received
    We have some youth with upside at DL but lets even pretend that we have a true 1 tech rostered.
    Dont need a true 1 tech if you have solid DL rotation depth, but thats the problem, we have some decent young still green prospects on DL, but that doesnt allow you to escape needing a true 1.
    So this current DL situation demands a big true 1-tech, and if Quinn really has Jerrys respect, we see a big bodied run stuffer, space eating 1T drafted, doesnt have to be early, but we will see a lot
    from this draft as far as who is being given some authority or not.

kskboys and BAT like this.
  17. darthseinfeld

darthseinfeld 26 years of 26 years

CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
    27,146 Messages
    30,183 Likes Received
    I think its unlikely he does fall, but if he does its likely because of two things

1) Teams may want more walk in pass rush ability. Davis has the talent to be a legit pass rusher, but right he would be more of a pocket pusher.

2) Abundant OT's and DE's could push him down. A good chance there are 5 OT's and 5 DE's that go before our pick. Now I think this is unlikely, but I have a seen a few mocks that have had major WR runs before our pick (Peter King has 6 going our pick. He has Davis going 15 and us getting Lindenbaum)

I do think Davis falling to us is unlikely, but I've seen crazier things. I do believe if he does, he will be their pick though

BAT likes this.
  18. darthseinfeld

CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
    27,146 Messages
    30,183 Likes Received
    With his athleticism, he can a viable pass rusher with a year or so of technique work. He has the ability to be like the 2016-2018 version of Akiem Hicks. As a rookie he would probably be just a pocket pusher in the passing game. His trajectory could he like Poe, where it took a year to develop as a penetrator and he an all around DT, but as a rookie he was still very good as a 2 gap NT

BAT likes this.
  19. darthseinfeld

CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
    27,146 Messages
    30,183 Likes Received
    FYI Marinelli was supposedly all in on Vea in 2018. So even the guy that doesnt value the positions understands how valuable a disruptive (key word) is. I believe the line with Vea was "1T with 3T traits"

BAT likes this.
  20. Typhus

Typhus Captain Catfish

13,476 Messages
    14,786 Likes Received
    Meant to say lets "not" even pretend,, to late to edit and I apologize for repeated bad typing skills.

kskboys likes this.