Anyone else disgusted by us drafting pass rushers that run 4.9s?

bodi

Reaction score
◦I can see why Jalen Jelks had success rushing the passing at Oregon. One of the first things I noticed about him was how quickly he is able to get his foot in the ground when it comes to changing directions. He was a tick quicker than Joe Jackson when it came to getting turned and working down the line of scrimmage. Jackson was not bad but Jelks gets turned in a flash.

Rayman70

Reaction score
answer to the thread question. NO. I could care less about a dlinemans 40 time. Put the tape on and lets see the results they get. No one cared about Reggie whites 40 time when he was terrorizing olineman. He just imposed his will.

Rayman70

Reaction score
◦I can see why Jalen Jelks had success rushing the passing at Oregon. One of the first things I noticed about him was how quickly he is able to get his foot in the ground when it comes to changing directions. He was a tick quicker than Joe Jackson when it came to getting turned and working down the line of scrimmage. Jackson was not bad but Jelks gets turned in a flash.
Jelks will be feast or famine. No middle ground. If he learns how to use his body in the NFL he can be special. If he relies on speed to much he will vanish and get washed out on plays.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I think folks are looking at Jelks and just assuming he’s a speed rusher. He’s 6’5” 256 lbs, but ran a 4.92 and 1.70 10-yard split. Those are poor numbers for a guy his size.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
We've never had a slow pass rusher that turned out to be great. I can see if its a 300 pound dt, but 256 pound edge rushers should run faster than that.

What disgusts me is evaluating DL by 40 time. Iron triangle and shuttle please.

KingRah

Reaction score
answer to the thread question. NO. I could care less about a dlinemans 40 time. Put the tape on and lets see the results they get. No one cared about Reggie whites 40 time when he was terrorizing olineman. He just imposed his will.
White ran 4.6

jrumann59

Reaction score
Suggs when he came out all those years ago ran a 4.84. 40 times for the most part mean little especially for a position that requires you to go after a guy that may be 10 yards away.

kskboys

Reaction score
Michael Bennett ran a 5.13
Vontaze Burfict ran a 5.09

Hey, if we'd have taken this guy in the 3rd w/ this 40 time, I'd have been unhappy myself. How in the world can some of you not know that when you get past the 4th round, it's dartboard time. You take players who appeared to be better but aren't for some reason. In this case, Jelks was rated a 4th rounder or thereabouts. So, we took a higher rated player in the 7th. Good for us. This is where you take chances on players such as Jelks. Very few 7th rounders work out anyway.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
You don't, or at least shouldn't, draft a guy based on one attribute. John Ross ran the fastest time ever at the combine, and has he become a premiere wide receiver in the league?

No. You draft the whole athlete and don't avoid him because he falls down in one category...

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Michael Bennett ran a 5.13
Vontaze Burfict ran a 5.09

Hey, if we'd have taken this guy in the 3rd w/ this 40 time, I'd have been unhappy myself. How in the world can some of you not know that when you get past the 4th round, it's dartboard time. You take players who appeared to be better but aren't for some reason. In this case, Jelks was rated a 4th rounder or thereabouts. So, we took a higher rated player in the 7th. Good for us. This is where you take chances on players such as Jelks. Very few 7th rounders work out anyway.

Joey Bosa ran a 4.86. We had this same argument here at the board at the time.

Some people will never learn.