Anyone make their own taco shells?

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
I'd like to try making my own because the supermarket ones really aren't all that good. You get way better ones in a good Mexican restaurant. Has anyone done this? How did they turn out?

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
The Old El Paso shells I get at the supermarket are well worth the hassle saved by not having to make my own. But you go for it.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Well, I gotta blow Rev so I'll just give you a quick overview. When you go to the store, buy regular Corn Tortillas, they usually come in a little stack. Take them home and simply pour canola oil, veggie oil or corn oil in a pan and heat it till it's hot enough. You want to make sure it's hot enough because otherwise this process will not work. You don't want it too overly hot or you can burn the shells. You can check this by just taking a little piece of corn tortilla and then just stick it in the oil. If it sizzles, then it's probably hot enough. Once you have your oil hot enough, then set up a cake pan or casserole pan, line it with paper towels, take your tortilla in a tong, dip them in the hot oil, once the shell starts getting hot, just bend over one side to create the shell shape and once it's had a little time in the oil, stack it in the cake pan and be sure to salt it while it's still hot, if you want a little flavor. Just continue that process till you have enough shells.

If you want, you can make homemade tortilla chips that same way. Just cut up the corn tortillas into little triangles and follow the same process. If you decide to do that, let me know and I will give you a recipe for Guacamole if you don't already have one.

Good luck brother.