Anyone own a Tesla (or other electric vehicle)?

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Add grain of salt: saw a meme the other day that stated a recent study determined that electric cars are actually more damaging to the environment..

You how it goes with memes, sometimes you just gotta dig deeper...

gmoney112

Reaction score
Wife and I are thinking of going electric with our next vehicle. Anyone have first hand experience with owning/leasing one? Drawbacks, benefits, do-overs?

Thanks in advance.

They're pretty incredible. I have a few buddies with them, Tesla mainly.

Really depends on the charging infrastructure in your area, around here they're fine. Mechanic work can be a bit of a pain, but I haven't known anyone that's actually had a problem.

Personally, I'm waiting a couple of years. The race is officially on, costs will be driven down over the next few years. I wouldn't have any reservations though, if I really was in the market for a new vehicle.

lukin2006

Reaction score
Due to cost and the fact that most of society is far well off and these are, more a luxury unless they get the cost down, but most importantly I do not see electric taking off until there is a robust network of used electric car dealers...that's the only way I'll ever be able to afford one. :omg:

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Misubishi PHEV. very small battery, but because it’s a plug-in you get the federal and possible state tax incentives while their still available.

The car is no-frills, but for a subcompact SUV with a $9k tax incentive, it’s tough to beat.

csirl

Reaction score
Where I live, they are starting to become a lot more common - you'll see several a day while out and about.

I think EVs are at a similar stage to when mobile phones started to become common. There are now enough of them about that the technology will start to improve. Id expect a similar jump in performance to that seen with mobile phones in the 90s.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
They're pretty incredible. I have a few buddies with them, Tesla mainly.

Really depends on the charging infrastructure in your area, around here they're fine. Mechanic work can be a bit of a pain, but I haven't known anyone that's actually had a problem.

Personally, I'm waiting a couple of years. The race is officially on, costs will be driven down over the next few years. I wouldn't have any reservations though, if I really was in the market for a new vehicle.

That’s the way I see it. I think the automotive industry is on the brink of flipping towards electric in the next 5-6 years.

Technological advances ramp up exponentially rather than incrementally. I know leading is always an option but I don’t want to buy another ICE vehicle and see the value plummet as electric becomes the norm.

I live in the Bay Area so the infrastructure is here. As an example, in Palo Alto all new residential development has to be presided to accommodate a charging station.

Teslas are like Camrys out here, lol

Hardline

Reaction score
No way I would ever drive one.

I'll stick to powerful V-8 gas powered engines

Only hippy save the earthers drive electric cars.

I did see Tesla in concert in the late 80s though.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
That’s the way I see it. I think the automotive industry is on the brink of flipping towards electric in the next 5-6 years.

Agreed. I think that is one reason we are seeing Detroit pump out all these insane 800-900-1000hp factory cars. They're getting it out while they can, because ultimately, the gas engine is dying. Sure, it may take awhile, but the writing is on the wall.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
I know some people with Teslas. They say that it doesn't get some of the basic things right. For example, there's no windshield wiper handle. The car has some algorithm to determine when to turn on the wipers and at what level. The driver can't do it manually. And they complain that it's too slow to react or doesn't get the appropriate level right. Makes it hard to drive in the rain. And I live in Seattle.

ksadler1

Reaction score
I read an article last week (sorry can't remember where) where Tesla reps were saying that the metals for making the batteries for the EV's have been "under mined" and will get very expensive in the future if the EV's take off. If I find it I'll post a link but it's definitely something to consider before buying. The one person I know that has a Tesla really likes it, according to his son. As for me, I'm getting to the point in life where an investment in a EV would cost more than it was worth...

GMO415

Reaction score
The Model X P100D can go 0 to 60 in 2.9s. That's an SUV.

Here it is smoking a Lambo

That's faster than the Porsche 959!!!!

If you want to feel how fast that is, ride Knott's Monazumas Revenge. 0-60 in 3 seconds