Anyone study tape that can say what’s happened to the offense?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by droopdog7, Dec 4, 2021.

1. rambo2

rambo2 Well-Known Member

3,468 Messages
    2,515 Likes Received
    They still make some amazing plays in every game no matter what. Plays like the Gallup td and catch on the sideline, some Lamb plays, the Pollard td run.

2. khiladi

khiladi Well-Known Member

31,763 Messages
    26,302 Likes Received
    Yeah, we have great individual skill players that compensate for Dak’s over-rated QB play.

This is Dak, 2019 struggles against the Bears, where he’s padding his stats in garbage time. It’s the EXACT horrible, off the back-foot while drifting from the line throw, that gets you in trouble more often than not..

And BTW, look at how Zeke stone-walled the blitz….

McKDaddy likes this.
  3. TheHerd

TheHerd Well-Known Member

9,521 Messages
    10,336 Likes Received
    You and me both brother.

4. TheHerd

9,521 Messages
    10,336 Likes Received
    He'salso apprehensive running. There are a few plays each game where he escapes the pocket cleanly to the outside and could tuck it and go for 5-10, but he just won't do it.

reddyuta and MoistMayonnaise like this.
  5. TheHerd

9,521 Messages
    10,336 Likes Received
    You talk about Dak being overrated then post a play where he throws an absolutely amazing pass. Zeke is a beast picking up blitzers, no one can doubt that no matter how injured he is.

6. Rockport

Rockport AmberBeer

CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
    31,256 Messages
    31,075 Likes Received
    And the dregs to the bottom.

7. Hadenough

Hadenough Well-Known Member

7,686 Messages
    8,918 Likes Received
    Teams watch Denver load the box and take away the run and short pass. Also playing man to man coverage with one safety high while blitzing Dak and he struggles to read where the blitz is coming from.

8. youngjerryjones

youngjerryjones Well-Known Member

455 Messages
    683 Likes Received
    3-4 times i thought i saw an opportunity to slide for an easy first or gain and he chose to throw it in a tight window

Big D and MoistMayonnaise like this.
  9. AmishCowboy

AmishCowboy if you ain't first, you're last

5,134 Messages
    569 Likes Received
    Dak's footwork since Calf injury, Specially front foot

10. Ken

Ken Well-Known Member

10,713 Messages
    9,537 Likes Received
    Clearly missed the post right above yours lol

Hawkeye0202 likes this.
  11. CWR

CWR Well-Known Member

17,850 Messages
    26,090 Likes Received
    I dont think you can run a cover 2 shell and still load the box though. Both safeties back and cbs on wr doesn't leave enough numbers to stack the box. They took away anything long and played man (I guess.) Then when the opposition can't get enough push to open holes in the run game there are not many options.

I think that is a lot of what we saw, but I'd differ to @xwalker or someone that watches the all 22. I'm no Xs and Os guy. Fortunately we have some good people here to set me straight.

dogberry likes this.
  12. JoeKing

JoeKing Diehard

CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
    32,820 Messages
    28,457 Likes Received
    Dak is injured but that's not why the Cowboys have lost a few. The losses are Dak's fault.

13. Beast_from_East

Beast_from_East Well-Known Member

27,700 Messages
    23,919 Likes Received
    Oline is horrendous at run blocking, they literally are getting whipped at the point of attack by almost every team. So when you cant run the ball, you are forced to pass. So what defenses are doing is playing tight man coverage and blitzing from many different angles trying to confuse the protection calls and rush Dak into making a quick throw.

How do you beat this? Well, you have to use more of a west coast offense where short passes replace your running game. Problem is that our WRs are not really west coast type of WRs, they are more down field route runners. Problem with that is QB needs time for WRs to get downfield, that is why teams are blitzing to force a quick pass from Dak.

Team also botched the line when Tyron went down. Steele is not a LT, Collins was not anywhere near game shape ready when he got back off suspension, and both of the Connors suck if we are being honest. So its a patch work oline right now.

Zeke is also hobbling on one leg right now so that is hindering the running game as well.

BAT likes this.
  14. DandyDon52

DandyDon52 Well-Known Member

16,863 Messages
    11,638 Likes Received
    Dont forget lael back and the steele move.

15. BAT

BAT Mr. Fixit

16,836 Messages
    11,359 Likes Received
    It all starts in the trenches then trickles down to skill positions.

Coaches F'ed around too much and ruined continuity AND chemistry.

Injuries too.

At every position group.

CWR and Beast_from_East like this.
  16. khiladi

khiladi Well-Known Member

31,763 Messages
    26,302 Likes Received
    Garbage stat.. It’s defined as 1 yard separation and throws that are short would grossly exaggerate stats, because that separation is more than enough.
    This my phrase, “more often than not” and in garbage time, meaning when the QB, in this game, is already all over the place with his horrible mechanics, including the very ‘technique’ we referred to, allowing the Bears to effectively end the game by the time this throw was made and when he got outplayed by Mitch Trubisky…

This was also the same stretch of 2018 which was marred with bad mechanics of this type and which is happening in this stretch of his bad play..

TheHerd likes this.
  17. doomsday9084

doomsday9084 Well-Known Member

1,068 Messages
    1,705 Likes Received
    There were points in the game last week where it sure seemed like New Orleans was run blitzing right before the snap. Sure enough, Dallas ran up the middle and there was nowhere to run.

You know how Romo frequently calls the play before the snap? There was a rumor with Garrett some time ago that the Cowboys had very few plays out of each formation and as a result, if you studied them enough you knew the play before the snap.

I kind of wonder if the issue is as simple as defenses know what the play is. As others have stated, it sure seems like defenders are at the point of attack before the attack happens frequently, be it a pass or run.

I agree with everyone saying the line is playing poorly, Dak is playing worse, runners have no room, etc. I'm just wondering if there is a fundamental reason for all of it.

CATCH17 likes this.
  18. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

35,558 Messages
    15,774 Likes Received
    First off, New Orleans has a very tough defense. They are capable of throwing goose eggs at any offense that they come across. They are very stout against the run...and before developments return to Dallas again dominating at forcing the run and expanding all other areas of their offense, the offensive line has to progress, and not just in theory as in the present.

19. CWR

CWR Well-Known Member

17,850 Messages
    26,090 Likes Received
    I think CD is a great WC type player. He's the kind of dude that can kill with yac.

20. CWR

CWR Well-Known Member

17,850 Messages
    26,090 Likes Received
    It's obvious Steele back to RT and LC at guard. I think we improve quickly if that happens. We need to reach a point where they quit tinkering so damn much.

DandyDon52 and CATCH17 like this.