Anyone Want Sean Payton Still?

Reaction score
Payton was bad today. His play calling at the end of regulation cost his team a Super Bowl birth. Throwing on 1st down with less than 2 minutes on the clock and the Rams with 2 timeouts??! What was he thinking?
On the pass interference play, Payton originally called a run. Brees audibled to a pass because of a blitz coming.

Wood

Reaction score
Might be time for Seanie P to move on from NO. He's leaving as a fresh loser, but he is one of the few HCs who's won a SB.

Who's signing him over JG?

In a second. Would let him fly around in Jerry jet for week. Keys to the City and everything in between.

cheftjpeck

Reaction score
If we are simply saying Payton over Garrett, then yes ... but if it’s Payton over other possible new head coaches .. I’m not so sure .. I’m not a huge Payton fan and many wanted him gone from
Here when he left ... I don’t believe Payton is the long term answer ..

uvaballa

Reaction score
Payton is better than JG but he hasn’t been great. Even with a HOF QB they’ve missed the playoffs 4 out of the last 7 seasons I believe.

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
He averaged 19.7 points over last 7 games. I think he’s good but I’ve seen This offense do better since they played in Dallas.

This defense exposed them

Kevinicus

Reaction score
He made a lot of questionable decisions today

You call your two best running plays and then see how you feel about trying to convert the third down.

This is the philosophy that most teams use that prevents them from getting a first down and gives the other team a chance far more often than not.

Little Jr

Reaction score
Would I take him over JG? Yes , but I don't understand the love he gets from our fan base and the media. He's good, not great.

I won't and can't take the super bowl year away from him but he hasn't done much in other years. Without that year he's just barley above JG level. He deserves credit for the super bowl run but it shouldn't give him a life time pass for being called a great coach .

Four 7-9 seasons and one 8-8 season all with one of the best qbs to play the game, no meddling owner, a decent gm, able to have A LOT of input on the draft, hire his own staff. JG has none of that. I'm not defending JG, I didn't want him in 2011 when we hired him and still don't , but you think JG sucks then yiu can't think that much higher of Payton.

Little Jr

Reaction score
This is the philosophy that most teams use that prevents them from getting a first down and gives the other team a chance far more often than not.
No it's not. Its philosophy that gives the best chance to win. At that point your opponent isn't the other team, it's the clock.

Run the ball twice and make them take both their time outs. Run it in third and by the time they get the ball back they'll be on the 25 with about 45 sec left and no time outs.

I don't like playing not to lose but in this case running it 3 times wouldn't be playing not to lose.

LovinItAll

Reaction score
Might be time for Seanie P to move on from NO. He's leaving as a fresh loser, but he is one of the few HCs who's won a SB.

Whatever. One SB over a decade ago. By that logic, those that think that SB win was so important should be lobbying to hire Switzer again.

Garrett and Peyton's records are almost the same since Garrett became a HC.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
No it's not. Its philosophy that gives the best chance to win. At that point your opponent isn't the other team, it's the clock.

Run the ball twice and make them take both their time outs. Run it in third and by the time they get the ball back they'll be on the 25 with about 45 sec left and no time outs.

I don't like playing not to lose but in this case running it 3 times wouldn't be playing not to lose.

When a fg is all that's needed, 45 is a ton. A first down basically seals it.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
You see that conservative strategy all the time and you are correct it almost never works.

Little Jr

Reaction score
When a fg is all that's needed, 45 is a ton. A first down basically seals it.
A first down? Lol yeah if your kicker can kick a 82 yd fg. Lol to kick a 60+ you need 3 first downs . You would have to get the opposing 45 yd line. So 30 yds in 45 sec with no time outs. Have to throw to the sidelines. Anything over the middle kills clock. I'll take my chances with 45 sec, needing 30 yds, no time outs and not having the middle of the field as a option or a deep ball. Then the fg still has to kick a 60+. Is it possoble? Sure, but I'll take my chances with that than over a min and a time out.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
A first down? Lol yeah if your kicker can kick a 82 yd fg. Lol to kick a 60+ you need 3 first downs . You would have to get the opposing 45 yd line. So 30 yds in 45 sec with no time outs. Have to throw to the sidelines. Anything over the middle kills clock. I'll take my chances with 45 sec, needing 30 yds, no time outs and not having the middle of the field as a option or a deep ball. Then the fg still has to kick a 60+. Is it possoble? Sure, but I'll take my chances with that than over a min and a time out.

Happens all the time.

And yes, if the Saints got a first down, game over.

cml750

Reaction score
I take him Payton over Garrett any day of the week. He was a terrible call away from going top the Superbowl a second time and already has a ring. We have zilch to show for almost a decade with the worst coach in the league.

robjay04

Reaction score

One of my favorite statistics is the fact that a HC has never won a SB as the HC for two teams.

Just because a coach won a SB somewhere else does not mean that they have a higher likelihood to win a SB over another candidate.

Statistically, it’s actually the opposite.

conner01

Reaction score
Payton was bad today. His play calling at the end of regulation cost his team a Super Bowl birth. Throwing on 1st down with less than 2 minutes on the clock and the Rams with 2 timeouts??! What was he thinking?
It was a bad call
But that’s the problem with judging decisions based on out come
If it was complete and they end up winning fans would praise his aggressiveness
We’ve seen call after call over the years judged by outcome not wether it was a good call

conner01

Reaction score
One of my favorite statistics is the fact that a HC has never won a SB as the HC for two teams.

Just because a coach won a SB somewhere else does not mean that they have a higher likelihood to win a SB over another candidate.

Statistically, it’s actually the opposite.
It is
But people still hire a SB winning coach when they can
A great coach is just one part of winning a SB
A great, talented team is equally important