Twitter: Archer: Breakdown of Zeke's Contract

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Then it's not actually guaranteed at this point. I wonder if the league will have a problem with the structure of this contract. I've never seen anything like it.
Same basic structure as Gurley's. Just more years and different dollar amounts at different times.

For all practical purposes it's 50M guaranteed.

If he was cut anytime before finishing the first 4 seasons, then his bonus/salary for the season he is cut would still be guaranteed.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Huge Cowboy victory IMO.

$7.5MM signing bonus guaranteed that we will never get back. Everything else can be taken from Zeke if he screws up. If he does not screw up, then it is a fair contract.
That is false.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Can show me a contract extension that lets teams get out of a deal without some loss/pain unless the player does something that warrants it? I didn't think so.
Are you ****ing kidding? LMAO

Name a player on the Cowboys and we can get out of his contract before four years.
Lawrence extended this offseason, yep
La'el? Oh hell yes
Tyron? Yep
Martin? Yes sir

Yeah, I didnt think so

I dont want to drag this out anymore. But I would just leave you with the wisdom to learn contracts. They're complicated but you should be able to pick up some understanding of them. As of now, you have none.

With regards to guaranteed money:
  • DLaw after 3 years.
  • Zack Martin after 3 years.
  • La'el after 3 years.
  • Tyron Smith after 6 years.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No, it's not, PERIOD.

Not being able to get out of a contract until after four years, barring suspension is losing a contract at its finest. On top of shattering the market in every applicable way.

The Cowboys commitment to Zeke is 4 years, 50M (12.5M average).

The Rams commitment to Gurley was 3 years, 40M (13.3M average).

The Rams have the option of 4 years, 50M plus another 1.25M in incentives (12.5M to 12.8M average).

Gurley had a known knee problem before signing the contract and the knee limited him in the season after signing the contract.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
The Cowboys commitment to Zeke is 4 years, 50M (12.5M average).

The Rams commitment to Gurley was 3 years, 40M (13.3M average).

The Rams have the option of 4 years, 50M plus another 1.25M in incentives (12.5M to 12.8M average).

Gurley had a known knee problem before signing the contract and the knee limited him in the season after signing the contract.

...okay?

And the Zeke commitment is actually 56.5M not $50

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
...okay?

And the Zeke commitment is actually 56.5M not $50

No, the exact number is: $50,052,137

You or whomever you got the extra 6.5M from is likely adding the 6.7M of dead-money to the 50M, which is not how it works.

The 6.7M in dead-money just means that they paid him 50M but only took cap hits in the first 4 years of (50M - 6.7M) and therefore must take the 6.7M cap hit in year 5 (if cut then).