Twitter: Archer: Breakdown of Zeke's Contract

bsbellomy

Reaction score
So the team didn't gain anything is what you're saying?

1. It's debatable if he's even the #2. Most non-cowboys fans would say he isnt.
2. No you don't have to eventually pay him, that's the point.
3. Yay! We saved almost nothing compared to just franchising him twice.

And if you miss the playoffs this year because he's missing games?

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Your story, you tell it. Mean time, this is almost exactly what I posted as the target contract for Zeke. There really isn't much you can say to me that is going to ruin the day. This is a good deal and right on target IMO.

There is always tomorrow

uvaballa

Reaction score
My friend (Eagles fan) just mentioned his fifth year option was already guaranteed and that’s a part of the $50million so it was a team friendly deal. Plus some of the guaranteed money is only if he’s on the roster to start the league year. So if he gets in trouble and gets cut he doesn’t even get the full $50 million.

JBond

Reaction score
Right- set a new standard for RBs.

Give the player everything he wanted despite tough talk from the team.

Player got to miss training camp.

Sure sounds like a win for the team?
Sigh...

I was very vocal about holding Zeke to the fire and franchising him for two years. It was never going to happen and we will need those tags elsewhere. I am ok with the deal. Life is one giant comprise. If he screws up we can walk away. That is what I really cared about.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score

A breakdown of Ezekiel Elliott’s eight-year, $102.9 million deal with the Dallas Cowboys:

Signing bonus - $7.5 million

2019 base salary - $752,137
2020 base salary - $6.8 million ($13 million option bonus)
2021 base salary - $9.6 million
2022 base salary - $12.4 million
2023 base salary - $10.9 million
2024 base salary - $10 million
2025 base salary - $15.4 million
2026 base salary - $16.6 million

Note: The first two years of the deal are fully guaranteed, totaling $28 million at signing. The base salaries in 2021 and 2022 become fully guaranteed on the fifth day of the league years in 2020 and 2021.

Alright, I have been a pretty staunch opponent to paying Zeke as the top RB in the league two years early. I felt that getting him up into the top 3-5 two years early was reasonable but we should not make him the highest paid right now. Considering that he would make about about 44-45m if he played out his deal and got franchised twice, guaranteeing him about a million and a half more a year isn't that bad.

The fact that it has something of a knucklehead clause makes me happy and is a pretty significant win by the Cowboys. Anyone that thinks this deal is more than a 4 to 5 year deal isn't being real with the numbers. If we keep him 5 years that an average of about 12m a year and can walk away with minimal dead money. I think news media is going to report this as Zeke getting a great huge deal, but looking at it in depth it really is a reasonable deal for the Cowboys.

Now let's play some damned football.

aikemirv

Reaction score
I think a great contract for both sides. Dallas gets Zeke for his best years and Zeke gets security. Dallas can get out at pretty much any time after year 2 if they wanted but at worst a 4 yr 50 million deal. 1 million more than Gurley and that’s not even fully guaranteed