Twitter: Archer: Breakdown of Zeke's Contract

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
I think a great contract for both sides. Dallas gets Zeke for his best years and Zeke gets security. Dallas can get out at pretty much any time after year 2 if they wanted but at worst a 4 yr 50 million deal. 1 million more than Gurley and that’s not even fully guaranteed

I liked the deal .

$90,000,000.00

TwentyOne

Reaction score
Again, Mods: if already posted feel free to delete or merge.

Here is the detailed salary for zekes contract: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/ezekiel-elliott-18952/

The most interessting point for me is how they split the option bonus. Zeke will get all 13 mils in 2020 but the FO was able to split the cap hit over 5 years. Like it would be a signing bonus. Good job.

Because of the low signing bonus out potential out out is after the 2022 season which essentially makes this deal a 2 year extension (remember 2020 is/was Zekes 5th year option).

As i often stated i dont like the player, i didnt like the high pick for a RB and i dont like giving a RB a new deal. But this deal is ok for me. Very creativ and we didnt break the bank.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Here is the detailed salary for zekes contract: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/ezekiel-elliott-18952/

The most interessting point for me is how they split the option bonus. Zeke will get all 13 mils in 2020 but the FO was able to split the cap hit over 5 years.

The most interesting point for me too.

To paraphrase Darren Hambrick, what do "option" mean?

Of it's actually the usual option, then the Cowboys can wave goodbye to Zeke after this season, only out 8.25mil.

MaaS

Reaction score
I mean are those last two years there just so Zeke can say he is the highest ever paid running back? Unlikely he sees that money at 30 years old. Seems like a fantastic deal for us.

I agree. This is more team-friendly than I expected. We can basically get out of it without wrecking out cap in 2022 - the year Zeke will be 27. Given the circumstances, I don't think a better deal was realistic here.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
The most interesting point for me too.

To paraphrase Darren Hambrick, what do "option" mean?

Of it's actually the usual option, then the Cowboys can wave goodbye to Zeke after this season, only out 8.25mil.

All money that was actually paid to a player will count against the cap even if he gets cut. Doesnt matter how you name the kind of money you paid the player: signing bonus or option.

So if we cut him after say 2021 we will get hit by the full option bonus in that year because we already paid him that money.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
All money that was actually paid to a player will count against the cap even if he gets cut. Doesnt matter how you name the kind of money you paid the player: signing bonus or option.

So if we cut him after say 2021 we will get hit by the full option bonus in that year because we already paid him that money.

After 19, not 21. If the 2020 bonus is truly an *option*, then it is only guaranteed after executing the option.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
Not an awful structure but paying a TB that much is still insane in today’s NFL.
I agree it's a lot of money but like I said before, it's not as bad as I expected. I think the Cowboys did a pretty good job of structuring the deal all considered.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
A lot of people seem to be ignoring the value of years 5 and 6. That will be chump change at that point and allows the team to get max value before those last 2 years when he hits the 30 year barrier.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
A lot of people seem to be ignoring the value of years 5 and 6. That will be chump change at that point and allows the team to get max value before those last 2 years when he hits the 30 year barrier.
I guess I missed your opinion of this signing/extension.
What do you think?
If you don't mind me asking, as you may be repeating yourself...

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score

Don't worry , Zeke will hold out on year 3 .

FLCowboyFan

Hoping to be half the man Tom Landry was.
Reaction score
As it is with any contract, the devil is in the details.

And, in this contract, after 2023, the Cowboys can escape with only $2.6M of dead money. $6.7M of dead money if they cut bait after four years.

Yes, it's a lot of money for a RB. But, it's pretty team friendly when looking at it objectively.

Thank goodness the team found a way to protect itself

Kevinicus

Reaction score
I guess I missed your opinion of this signing/extension.
What do you think?
If you don't mind me asking, as you may be repeating yourself...
Wasn't thrilled with the idea of 15 per for a RB, but think Zeke is the lifeblood of the offense and was more comfortable with him getting that than some of the other potential contracts comimg up. Seeing the breakdown, I like it a lot more, and way more than the Collins deal.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Wasn't thrilled with the idea of 15 per for a RB, but think Zeke is the lifeblood of the offense and was more comfortable with him getting that than some of the other potential contracts comimg up. Seeing the breakdown, I like it a lot more, and way more than the Collins deal.
Mucho appreciatado.

Verdict

Reaction score
Have CAP hits of $15M and $16.5M the last two years of deal for a runningback, and THEN take on $6.7M(not minimal) dead CAP to cut him for a runningback to not play for us. And in those last years he will have depreciated even more as a player given all his touches at that point.

Oh boy. Y'all strap in.

I don’t think there would be any dead money if he is cut the last two years of his deal.

aaev84

Reaction score
How can anyone be upset with this deal?
Because some fans had their mind set already on writing off Zeke, and in their infinite wisdom thinking that a rookie RB that has looked good in the preseason will have the Dallas offense not skipping a beat.