Twitter: Archer: Cowboys need Trader Jerry to reappear

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

The Cowboys have 10 selections in the 2021 NFL draft. Only the Philadelphia Eagles (11) have more.

The Cowboys need Trader Jerry to reappear.

They don't need wild-uncle Jerry making trades for trades' sake, which seemed to be the case in 2009, a special-teams-centric draft that turned out to be one of the Cowboys' worst drafts.

The Cowboys need with-a-purpose Jerry to make moves.

To many, it might scream that using all 10 picks is the best way to help cost certainty, but there is no way 10 draft picks, plus a couple of undrafted free agents, will make the 53-man roster. Before folks get carried away by remembering sixth- and seventh-round success stories, there are far more misses and never-weres.

-

Todd is advocating moving up and having a smaller class.

There just isn't room on this roster for 10 new players from this draft or even in the world.

DandyDon1722

It's been a good 'un, ain't it?
Reaction score
The 1975 "Dirty Dozen" Draft was historic. 11 draft picks and one free agent made the team but that will never happen again.

if Jerry moved up to get Pitts and spent the entire rest of the draft on defense In my opinion that's a good draft. Doesn't mean the picks will pan out but it means we addressed our needs.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
Unfortunately, this FO seems to prefer quantity over quality, even though that quantity quickly reduces in size once training camp comes along. Then you are just left with low quality talent on your team. Backups become starters. I would prefer 6 or 7 picks in the top 4 or 5 rounds in the draft.....but then again i also preferred just at least 3 legit FA defensive starters instead of 6, 7 or 8 castoffs intended for depth/backups. You can always get those a dime a dozen during the offseason and training camp cuts.

John813

Reaction score
I dunno, the last few reported trader Jerry stories have been meh.

2012 the trade for Mo Claiborne
2013 the trade back was reported to be for Patterson(WR) but the Vikings took him and we took some guy with a beard.
2016 we wanted to trade back in the first for Lynch.

Might be forgetting more but for just reasons

Creeper

Reaction score
Hahaha. Trader Jerry traded up to get Morris Claiborne. How did that work out? Free agency is where a few targeted acquisitions is better than a dozen K-Mart specials. The draft is more of a crap shoot, especially this year. Pick 11 or 12, doubling up on some positions and improve the chances of finding good players. Trader Jerry should show up and trade down in the first for more 2nd and 3rd round picks.

As good as Pitts and Sewell are supposed to be, I do not see how trading up for either player will improve the Cowboys W-L record while the defense is as abysmal as it is. If they trade away 1 3rd round pick to move up a spot, no problem. But they need to find defensive help in their first 3 picks. No one in this draft who plays defense is worth trading up to get.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I dunno, the last few reported trader Jerry stories have been meh.

2012 the trade for Mo Claiborne
2013 the trade back was reported to be for Patterson(WR) but the Vikings took him and we took some guy with a beard.
2016 we wanted to trade back in the first for Lynch.

Might be forgetting more but for just reasons

He cited the Biadasz trade as if Tyler Biadasz is a known entity. The jury is still out on him.