Twitter: Archer: Cowboys need Trader Jerry to reappear

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
You have a much better chance hitting on 6 in the top 100 then 10 picks thru pick 238 with 6 of them being outside the top 100.
Below are the cowboys picks by round. 2 4th round picks (115 & 138). How much of a talent difference is there between #115 and say #90? Likely not very much. Last season that was Jonathan greenard and Harrison Bryant going in those spots. If someone falls that you had a high grade on I get trading up, but the cost of moving up into the top 100 is typically pretty steep. It probably takes both 4th rounders to move up close to the #90 spot.

Round 1:
No. 10 overall
Round 2: No. 44
Round 3: No. 75, No. 99
Round 4: No. 115, No. 138
Round 5: No. 179
Round 6: No. 192 (from Lions), No. 227
Round 7: No. 238

Bigdog

Reaction score
We have drafted so well for so long that we are now forced to draft poorly.
Some of the owners have petition Goodell to strip us of our first 5 rounds selections and only let us draft in the 6th an 7th rounds this year because we are so good at it. Goodell is contemplating this to make it an even playing field for the other 31 teams.

Beaker42

Reaction score

The Cowboys have 10 selections in the 2021 NFL draft. Only the Philadelphia Eagles (11) have more.

The Cowboys need Trader Jerry to reappear.

They don't need wild-uncle Jerry making trades for trades' sake, which seemed to be the case in 2009, a special-teams-centric draft that turned out to be one of the Cowboys' worst drafts.

The Cowboys need with-a-purpose Jerry to make moves.

To many, it might scream that using all 10 picks is the best way to help cost certainty, but there is no way 10 draft picks, plus a couple of undrafted free agents, will make the 53-man roster. Before folks get carried away by remembering sixth- and seventh-round success stories, there are far more misses and never-weres.

-

Todd is advocating moving up and having a smaller class.

There just isn't room on this roster for 10 new players from this draft or even in the world.

Exactly. That’s why I said in the talks with Falcons thread to be prepared for a move ip to 4. It’s time for the big draft move by the Cowboys.

75boyz

Reaction score
If we get a starting corner I believe CowboysZone will be hosting a black tie gala.

I mean, with the full impact on team wins that past starters Jenkins, Claiborne, Carr and Jones had from that position, it's no wonder the Zone is in such an anticipatory uproar.

Corners and Receivers(or tight ends) I say, and I'll show you a team!!

You show 'em Jerry, Surtain or bust...

And ultimately the bust, lol.

Just not the Canton kind.

Not in Dallas.

Last edited:

Hardline

Reaction score

The Cowboys have 10 selections in the 2021 NFL draft. Only the Philadelphia Eagles (11) have more.

They don't need wild-uncle Jerry making trades for trades' sake, which seemed to be the case in 2009, a special-teams-centric draft that turned out to be one of the Cowboys' worst drafts.

To many, it might scream that using all 10 picks is the best way to help cost certainty, but there is no way 10 draft picks, plus a couple of undrafted free agents, will make the 53-man roster. Before folks get carried away by remembering sixth- and seventh-round success stories, there are far more misses and never-weres.

-

There just isn't room on this roster for 10 new players from this draft or even in the world.

Exactly what I've been saying.

reddyuta

Reaction score
there is no reason to select 10 players in the draft,we should definitely trade around to get the players we really want in this draft.

boysfanindc

Reaction score
Below are the cowboys picks by round. 2 4th round picks (115 & 138). How much of a talent difference is there between #115 and say #90? Likely not very much. Last season that was Jonathan greenard and Harrison Bryant going in those spots. If someone falls that you had a high grade on I get trading up, but the cost of moving up into the top 100 is typically pretty steep. It probably takes both 4th rounders to move up close to the #90 spot.

Round 1:
No. 10 overall
Round 2: No. 44
Round 3: No. 75, No. 99
Round 4: No. 115, No. 138
Round 5: No. 179
Round 6: No. 192 (from Lions), No. 227
Round 7: No. 238

I would not just move up I would move down from 10 as well to pick up another 2nd rounder that gives you 5 in the top 100, then a move up using one or more of the picks between 115 and 238 to accomplish that and it would not cost you that much, roughly to move into bottom of the top 100 it would cost you 115 (exchanging a 4th for a third) and pick 192 6th round pick, to move higher might cost 115 and and a 5th. That would give you 6 players in the top 100.

Interesting analysis Forbes did on starter percentage and staying power meaning starting over a 5 year period by round in which the player was selected but others have done so as well showing roughly:

You have roughly double the percentage chance of getting a starter in round 3 as you do in round 5, then it really goes off the cliff

Round Freq. Percent Cuml
1 178 29.9 29.9
2 104 17.5 47.4
3 75 12.6 60.0
4 64 10.8 70.8
5 38 6.4 77.2

And staying power.

Percentage of Total Games Started
(Since 2010...80 games max)
Groups Median

Overall 15.0%

1st 67.5%

2nd 33.8%

3rd 36.3%

4th 6.3%

5th 4.4%

Last edited:

MarkP88

Reaction score

-

Um...what?

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

-

Id advocate more for seeing if there is a Robert Quinn deal out there to be made

Bowdown27

Reaction score
I would love to sit tight take the bpa at 10 then trade back into late round 1 for someone they liked.

superonyx

Reaction score
Trader Jerry needs to distance himself from the draft and let McClay made the decisions...
How do we know McClays decision wouldnt be to trade up or down?

When a move works McClay gets the credit. When it doesn't work its Jerry's fault. You know it true.

superonyx

Reaction score
Hahaha. Trader Jerry traded up to get Morris Claiborne. How did that work out? Free agency is where a few targeted acquisitions is better than a dozen K-Mart specials. The draft is more of a crap shoot, especially this year. Pick 11 or 12, doubling up on some positions and improve the chances of finding good players. Trader Jerry should show up and trade down in the first for more 2nd and 3rd round picks.

As good as Pitts and Sewell are supposed to be, I do not see how trading up for either player will improve the Cowboys W-L record while the defense is as abysmal as it is. If they trade away 1 3rd round pick to move up a spot, no problem. But they need to find defensive help in their first 3 picks. No one in this draft who plays defense is worth trading up to get.
I see your point. But this is assuming if we don't land a CB in the first round then we are not making any other moves to strengthen this position.

Richard Sherman, Casey Heyward and about 5 other vets are still unsigned. A case can be made that any of these vets would offer more than a rookie CB would this season.

Point is we have more ways to fill defensive needs than just the first 2 rounds of this draft.

Dre11

Reaction score
no, just pick a player at 10, even though it's a crap shoot, that player should be a highly productive starter for you, when you start trading down, you start overthinking things and reaching for players.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The 1975 "Dirty Dozen" Draft was historic. 11 draft picks and one free agent made the team but that will never happen again.

if Jerry moved up to get Pitts and spent the entire rest of the draft on defense In my opinion that's a good draft. Doesn't mean the picks will pan out but it means we addressed our needs.

Trading up for Pitts is the antithesis of “addressing our needs”.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
no, just pick a player at 10, even though it's a crap shoot, that player should be a highly productive starter for you, when you start trading down, you start overthinking things and reaching for players.

I agree. Make a safe pick. That’s why I’m high on Surtain. He’s as safe a pick as they can make. High ceiling, high floor. And he also happens to not be a reach while filling a big need. That’s what I want at 10.