News: Archer: Dallas Cowboys' draft (mostly) all about a defense that needed change

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dallas Cowboys' draft (mostly) all about a defense that needed change

i

Talk about making a statement. The Cowboys address their biggest weakness from 2020 by drafting eight defensive players for the first time since 1994. After allowing a franchise-record 473 points and 6,183 yards in Nolan's one year as coordinator, the Cowboys knew they had to make a drastic change in 2021 on defense.

It started in January with the hiring of Dan Quinn as coordinator and culminated over the 2021 NFL draft with a first in team history.

The Cowboys' first six selections -- linebacker Micah Parsons, cornerback Kelvin Joseph, defensive tackle Osa Odighizuwa, defensive end Chauncey Golston, cornerback Nahshon Wright and linebacker Jabril Cox -- were defensive players. In 1982, the first five picks were defenders. In the Jerry Jones era, the most defenders selected to start a draft was four in 2012.

For the first time since the start of the seven-round draft in 1994, the Cowboys drafted eight defensive players (out of 11 total players selected).

"There are a lot of things you can interpret from this," owner and general manager Jerry Jones said. "Unfortunately, we didn't need to send any messages. It was pretty well known where we might need to do some addressing. ... This has improved, the very best way we could, this team."

The draft moves were not completely by the Cowboys' design. Executive vice president Stephen Jones said Dallas considered an offensive lineman and wide receiver at different spots on Day 2 but ultimately opted to go back to the defense. Before the Cowboys selected Wright at No. 99, they very nearly opted to take Cox and were more than pleased to see the LSU linebacker available at No. 115.

Read Full Story

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
The defense needs talent not just bodies.

The talent drops off pretty quickly after the first 50 or so players, hopefully the Cowboys got talent past Parsons. But that remains to be seen, not at all unusual to have "surprise" players in the 3rd and later rounds. Not common, but this team is due some luck....

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The more I let it digest the more I like it. Was updating and looking at the roster on my spreadsheet yesterday. And realized how most of these players can replace current players and still on paper be improved. Which would translate to the field. This includes the FA's signed as well.

The defense improved alone just by changing DC's, and now some added players.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hopefully they got some. I know you hate DB’s so you weren’t happy with Parsons?

Happy with Parsons and Cox. Even that late round flyer on one of those stilt corners. Joseph has undeniable #1 corner talent but he's a head case.

What they did in the 3rd round was unacceptable. I can't get over they. 3 picks in the round and you come away with a rotational 3 tech, a backup run defending DE and a camp body corner.

Motorola

Reaction score
The more I let it digest the more I like it. Was updating and looking at the roster on my spreadsheet yesterday. And realized how most of these players can replace current players and still on paper be improved. Which would translate to the field. This includes the FA's signed as well.

The defense improved alone just by changing DC's, and now some added players.
Now on to the next phase: combining all parties involved - the new DC, free agents, draftees, and UDFAs to the existing core and backups and mold them into a decent to good defense for 2021.

quickccc

Reaction score
I was another that thought the 3rd round (3 picks) was destined to more reach for Quinn’s targeted picks than it was continuing to having faith 100% in Wil McClay place of value.

Frankly i thought it was both..
1) the lack of aggressively moving up in 2nd rounds for a key priority prospect
2) And misplace in value per 3rd rounders where we had unusual luxury picks

I also thought it was about economics. Rookie cheap contracts. Albeit how will we keep 10 rookies on this current roster ?
So I cannot help but think how many vets we could see immediately become post June 1st casualty cuts, ..or traded ?

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
Happy with Parsons and Cox. Even that late round flyer on one of those stilt corners. Joseph has undeniable #1 corner talent but he's a head case.

What they did in the 3rd round was unacceptable. I can't get over they. 3 picks in the round and you come away with a rotational 3 tech, a backup run defending DE and a camp body corner.

This is exactly what I think. They could have packaged a couple picks to move up and get a quality starter at FS or DT. Instead they go quantity over quality.

Other than that I’m fine with this draft.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Wright may be a candidate to be one of those conversion projects from CB to S that the Cowboys are infamous for. :facepalm: