Archer: Jerry said, "you'll know it when you see it" regarding potential change to Romo

yimyammer

Reaction score
I don't understand this logic. We don't know yet what we have in Romo, can he stay healthy etc, but if Dak continues struggle and we have Tony Romo waiting in relief, you play Romo. This isn't about one player and his psyche. How would it be detrimental to the team and it's season to put a far better passer in for the stretch run when the rookie is stumbling?

I don't think it effects Dak and his career at all. Logic says he shouldn't even be starting at this point anyway. Kudos that he has held it down and done a good job but he has some developing to do.

Right?

I don't get the notion that Dak is going to complete crater mentally if he were to get pulled. If he's that fragile (& I don't think he is), he'll never make it long term. My bet is he would even more motivated if this were to happen. Having great competition at this position is good for the team imo. Dak & Romo may not like it but I don't think its a bad thing.

I know jeri said Romo is lighting them up in practice, but thats pretty meaningless coming from the doofus who was singing the praises of Weeden last year.

Payton Manning was put back in mid game last year and it worked for Denver

Bill Walsh deliberately stoked the competition between Montana and Steve Young

Why is it that when a major league pitcher gets pulled in an off night, his career doesn't crater but we can't do the same with a QB? Why are QBs assumed to be so fragile?

Could the reason we never see QBs shuttling in and out on the same team be that its extremely rare for an NFL team to be in a position where they have two high quality QBs capable of starting and playing well?

Having said everything, I don't know when or if Romo should go back in except for injury to Dak.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
oh my god.

again, 3 games is a "trend" but the 8+ leading up to that we can dismiss because it interferes with bull**** agenda driven trends.

what the hell ever.

Seriously? Is it that hard for you to understand? It is December the last 3 games have been pitiful with Tampa on the horizon. Wrong time of year to have this "trend". But keep your head in the sand, seems that's what you're good at lately. My only agenda is winning a Championship, and if it means going back to Romo I am in. So take your agenda and shove it.

SDCowboy

Reaction score
If Prescott flounders for another game or two it would be a bad decision to NOT see what Romo can do.
That depends. Is it just Dak, or the entire offense (minus Zeke) like the last two weeks? I find if interesting that Dak is getting thrown under the bus when the entire offense, including the oline has been off the last two weeks, coupled with some of the worst play calling I can remember.

camelboy

mgcowboy
Reaction score
Stop listening to Jerry. He doesnt matter and he is not making decisions.

He has been wrong on almost everything this year. He seems out of touch this season with what is going on. Earlier in the year he didn't even know sean lee and D Lawrence had been banged up when asked on the fan. He was completely clueless.

Sunday he said in the pregame lance dunbar would not be a part of the kicking game.

He just needs attention. He is nothing but a PITA for the coaching staff.

Great post. Something no one wants to believe .. but true ..

:cool:

dallasfan4lizife

Reaction score
This.

Jerry, shut up and GM (to borrow the Dixie Chicks' line)

Part of me feels like he's jynxing the team the past couple of weeks with his loose lipped interviews. I mean, a rookie QB hearing stuff like Romo will contribute to a super bowl and Romo will get his chance to lead this team, etc etc..that's gotta mess with his head a little. It's not like Dak is some battle tested vet, he's a 23 year old 'kid'. And when your boss is saying stuff like that, it doesn't exactly express confidence in your ability.

Parche

Reaction score
just seems like the "we want romo back now" people use any reason to reduce what dak has done and assume romo would have the same success.

no, romo never had zeke but dak never had a decade of experience.

Oh, not me. I dont reduce what dak has done, neither reduce what Romo has done. I dont assume that we would be 11-2 with Tony.

Having said that, Daks our future. Just maybe we made the switch too soon. But thats just me.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
It's not whatever. It sends a horrible message to the team, and to Dak. It also means Tony is likely back next year and we get nothing for him when he's at the end of his career anyway, and Dak then loses a year of on field experience and gains a year of rust.

They never should have moved on to Dak if they weren't committed to him.

This. While you and I disagree with how we'd have handled Romo's return, we are in agreement here.

The team decided to move on to Dak. They know he's a rookie and rookie mistakes and struggles will occur. That he isn't as polished as a QB or a passer as Romo. The struggles the past few weeks are untimely but not unexpected.

They made the switch. They need to let him grow and learn. You need to let him develop now since you committed to it. You need to find out what you have in him.

You don't need Dak looking over his shoulder afraid to make a mistake. He's got enough on his plate already as a rookie QB leading the NFC's best team.

Stay committed.

SDCowboy

Reaction score
This. While you and I disagree with how we'd have handled Romo's return, we are in agreement here.

The team decided to move on to Dak. They know he's a rookie and rookie mistakes and struggles will occur. That he isn't as polished as a QB or a passer as Romo. The struggles the past few weeks are untimely but not unexpected.

They made the switch. They need to let him grow and learn. You need to let him develop now since you committed to it. You need to find out what you have in him.

You don't need Dak looking over his shoulder afraid to make a mistake. He's got enough on his plate already as a rookie QB leading the NFC's best team.

Stay committed.
Bingo. When you make the decision move on with a rookie QB, you take the good with the bad. And you have to understand that this season is going to a developmental one. As will next season. If they weren't going to be 100% committed to him, then they should have gone back to Tony.

GusTheo

Reaction score
if they are serious about winning a championship and dak keeps struggling then they will go back to tony if its about the future they will stick with dak and take there one and done loss in the playoffs and move on to next year we have a chance at the superbowl this year with a veteran qb if you want to throw it all away then iguess you will but jerry is telling youthat if dak keep losing they will go back to tony theyare not going to throw away a golden chance at a championship for a struggling rookie qb with sensitive feelings last season Denver went to the veteran qb because they new he wouldn't make mistakes to get them beat.

Our defense isn't good enough for the QB to play not to get beat. We're gonna have to go out and win games in the playoffs, and while Dak has certainly showed an ability to do that, against good defenses with the chips on the line I think Romo gives us a much better chance at that.

People love to bring up Romo's past failures yet the only 2 times he's ever had a REAL team around him he went 13-3 (one and done in the playoffs, team loss, Patrick crayon drop, Patrick crayon stopping on his route, etc) and 12-4 (one call away from going to the NFCCG, played the game hurt if I'm recalling correctly as well)

All these other win and go home "choke jobs" you guys are referring to, go back and see what kind of teams we had. Only reason those teams were remotely in those positions were because Romo. Average o lines, terrible defenses and bad running games, recipes for success right?

silver

Reaction score
Jerry had too many JW Blues last night watching Tom Brady do his stuff and had visions of Tony doing the same. That's all. Notice he didnt commit to anything when asked the question. I agee with @theebs, he just looking for attention.

kramskoi

Reaction score
Russel Wilson had 5 interceptions on sunday I don't hear anyone say he should be benched. Eli Manning should have had 6 turnovers in that last game but no one is talking about him being benched.

The last 5 teams we played are all playoff caliber teams. All teams with winning records. Some of those years when we were 8-8 we had problems beating teams with winning records. Some of those 8-8 years we only had one team with a winning record we beat.
Stick with the guy that got helped us get to 11-2. 11 win win streaks are few and far between in the NFL.
Seattle's qb situation is completely different. IOW, Wilson does not have a guy who led the league in passer rating just two years ago sitting next to him on the bench. IOW, they have no other options, especially given the money they have invested in him. The same for Manning...and many on Giants message boards are ready to be done with him...to move on. There is as much hate for Manning as there is for Romo...probably more.

pansophy

Reaction score
The biggest rationale for keeping Dak in the first place was that you don't mess with a hot streak like he was having. Okay, well now that hot streak is over and it has been over for the last 3 weeks.

Dak has only made one bad decision that I have seen (the deep ball to Dez that got picked off). So that is good news. But his footwork and mechanics aren't great and we knew that going in -- that why he is always in the shotgun. The last three weeks teams have been committed to moving Dak off of his spot and his accuracy has suffered.

You can't make corrections for that. Dak needs an off season to work on that -- that's just what it is. If we didn't have Romo we would probably be like the Steelers Big Ben's rookie year where he just didn't have enough yet to push the team over the top.

But we do have Romo and to keep him on the bench is stupid. If he gets injured again then he does, but at least you know we have fired all of our bullets.

GIFTS86

Reaction score
There are two choices.

1. Play Romo and try to win a Super Bowl this season.

2. Play Dak to prepare him to make a run at a championship 3-4 years from now.
You forgot option #3 dak makes a run at a SB

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Seriously? Is it that hard for you to understand? It is December the last 3 games have been pitiful with Tampa on the horizon. Wrong time of year to have this "trend". But keep your head in the sand, seems that's what you're good at lately. My only agenda is winning a Championship, and if it means going back to Romo I am in. So take your agenda and shove it.
what agenda? i'm doing math here. he won 11 games in a row. that alone is a bigger trend of his capabilities than the last 2 or 3 games isn't it? to ONLY take those specific games - to me - is the pure definition of agendas.

"i don't like all the data so i'll use the data i want for my purposes"

agenda.

now - how many times has romo "choked" in the big games? can we count those too? how many games has he even PLAYED in the last 2 years? can we look at that?

sigh.

Parche

Reaction score
English may not be your native language, but your written ability in English is better than a lot of folks here!

Thanks Sir. Im learning English since Im eight. I watch games in english too. And Ive been in the USA two times already. Of course went to Dallas, but couldnt get there in time to visit Texas Stadium.

Went to AT&T Stadium, and as much as I loved it, Im so sad I couldnt meet history and go to the old one.

The point is, thanks again, I try hard to learn to talk it correctly.